Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Larva and bee survival during transportation  (Read 2256 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Larva and bee survival during transportation
« on: March 21, 2018, 01:37:00 pm »
I have a question concerning larva and bee survival during transportation. I realize tempature to low and the larva will die , Tempature to high and the bees will die during transportation. My question is what are these limits? Thank you very much!!! And any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! Sincerely , Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Barry

• House Bee
Re: Larva and bee survival during transportation
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 01:59:03 pm »
I have a question concerning larva and bee survival during transportation. I realize tempature to low and the larva will die , Tempature to high and the bees will die during transportation. My question is what are these limits? Thank you very much!!! And any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! Sincerely , Phillip Hall
Bearing in mind that the colony will attempt to maintain a constant temperature around the developing brood of about 80 to 85 degrees which they can handle you do when temperatures are above 55. They do not want the internal temperature of the colony to reach a hundred degrees that's why you'll see him bringing water into the colony and splashing around and Fanning their wings and turning on the AC. So you're probably looking at the extremes. Can a colony survive below 55 absolutely they do it every year but you're not raising large patterns of brood either but rather concentrated patterns of brood that can be handily covered by the winter cluster

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 02:00:25 pm »
I?d be curious to know where you are at in the world, how they will be transported, and how it will take?
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 08:03:02 pm »
Our bees will be picked up tonight at about 7pm and transported over night and will be on the ground by 7am tomorrow.
They are transported open entrance and will be stationary from about 11pm till 4:30 am while we get a sleep.
The most closed in hive in the load will be 2 hives into the load with a hive on top.
Overnight temp will be about 14C.
Hives are 8 frame full depth with a single brood box, Qx and a full depth super of honey. Hives have a small (2"x8") floor vent and vented lids.
We don't expect any problems as the last 3 loads have gone well, trip length 370 km.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 09:25:34 am »
Both larvae and bees can handle a little cold for a short time, better than too hot for a short time.  Heat can kill both larvae and adults.  So can cold, but it takes longer.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 10:24:37 am »
Our Italian bees are a sub-tropical breed adapted to high temperatures.  Our Carniolan bees are a northern breed adapted to survive the cold.  I would expect our modern mutts carry tendencies of survival from both breeds.

For decades, perhaps hundreds of years, bees have been transported in all kinds of weather.  They tend to take very good care of themselves when given the opportunity.  As long as you're not pulling frames and inspecting the brood on cold days (below about 50F) they will huddle up and keep things warm as needed.  And as long as they have adequate ventilation and water they will keep themselves cool.

Just take reasonable care in transportation and they will be fine.

Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 12:11:40 am »
I just want to say thanks to each of you that was kind enough to reply.  I have watched numerious videos on this subject of bee removal. and am excited about the prospective "adventures" to come.  Each one of you, I am sure, have spent many hours, days , and years learning about bees and you, sharing your knodlege is very selfless and commendable. I am new here and don't really have anything to offer except my gratitude and appreciation. Since this was One of my first post and realizing that I posted in the wrong category, I am apologizeing. Thank you for your patience.. thanks again to all!! Sincerely, Phillip Hall "Ben Framed"
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 12:19:15 am »
I?d be curious to know where you are at in the world, how they will be transported, and how it will take?

Thank you Bush 84. I am in Northern Mississippi and they will be transported in the bed of a pickup truck.  That is why I wanted to make sure that  I am to do this when the tempature is right since this is a cutout and brood will be rubber banded in the frames. I am wanting to give the brood a good start and not kill them 😁. I am in no hurry as waiting for the right tempature I just didn't know what the right tempature was. I text Bruce, one of the good guys in Louisana yesterday and he got me off in the right direction. Yall probably know him as Schawee. Very nice guy...

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 05:38:02 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Add your location to your profile. It helps us provide better answers.
Ask Schawee to check in here. I have not seen a post from him for a long time.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 10:08:06 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Add your location to your profile. It helps us provide better answers.
Ask Schawee to check in here. I have not seen a post from him for a long time.
Jim

Thank you Sir.. I am in North Mississippi. As soon as I figure out how to add to my profile,  lol, I will add, still trying to find my way around here. This is new to me, again, many thanks..

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 07:30:34 am »
?As soon as I figure out how to add to my profile,  lol, I will add, still trying to find my way around here.?
You found it.  :happy:
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 11:52:06 pm »
?As soon as I figure out how to add to my profile,  lol, I will add, still trying to find my way around here.?
You found it.  :happy:
Jim

Thanks Jim 😁

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 12:06:30 pm »

If you have enough bees to cover the larvae, cold should not be an issue.   Being that you are in Mississippi you should not have much issue following Wally's guideline of 70F.   Here in the north,  my guideline is night time temps of 40F.   While doing the cutout I place all brood into a polystyrene nuc and reunite it with the nurse bees in the bee vac before transporting home.  The top of the bee vac is opened up to full cover of #8 hardware cloth for transportation.   I have never lost any significant amount of brood to cold.  It is much easier to loose everything to heat,  I would worry more about that than cold.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 09:02:07 pm »

If you have enough bees to cover the larvae, cold should not be an issue.   Being that you are in Mississippi you should not have much issue following Wally's guideline of 70F.   Here in the north,  my guideline is night time temps of 40F.   While doing the cutout I place all brood into a polystyrene nuc and reunite it with the nurse bees in the bee vac before transporting home.  The top of the bee vac is opened up to full cover of #8 hardware cloth for transportation.   I have never lost any significant amount of brood to cold.  It is much easier to loose everything to heat,  I would worry more about that than cold.

Thanks for the details that educate!!  Very much appreciated!!!  Sincerely, Phillip

anything