Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My never wet beetle barrier trial  (Read 7102 times)

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
Re: My never wet beetle barrier trial
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2018, 06:23:26 pm »
 :happy: :happy: Figured if I thought about it long enough I could work it out. I mean how hard can it be to insert a pic? A 12 year old could do it with their eyes shut right?  :rolleyes:

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2018, 08:10:46 pm »
:happy: :happy: Figured if I thought about it long enough I could work it out. I mean how
hard can it be to insert a pic? A 12 year old could do it with their eyes shut right?  :rolleyes:

... with the forum interface used, on this device (Android platform)??
Like I accept losing 5 years for every extra year over 60 I get to suck
oxygen in - waste of good 02, some comment - but when I was just a
vibrant 28yr old when I hit 60 I am fast approaching Ghost status!!

When I first signed on to BMA I thought it was just me. I soon read
of many others in the same boat. No matter, it is more efficient all
round to do links offsite anyway :-)

Bill

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2018, 04:03:55 am »
Can anyone tell me what the equivalent of Crisco is in Australia. I know it is a vegetable fat or shortening but unsure as to what the consistency is.  It looks to be the main ingredient or at least the "body" of the recipe. Any ideas as to what I could use as a substitute? Thanks in advance.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2018, 11:45:33 am »
Crisco is a hydrogenated vegetable oil a lot like lard but vegetable based.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 07:04:32 pm by Beeboy01 »

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2018, 12:59:38 am »
I may be remembering poorly,  but i saw a video on using that (or similar)  grease and they were applying it constantly.   Like it killed some,  but not completely.  It may be just allowing for migration.

On a related note,  I moved my hives to a new apiary on February 1.   They are in  the middle of a field with no shade within 40 feet.  Compare that to my previous locations with nearly constant shade.  The number and activity of the SHB is drastically reduced and I haven't needed to put oil trays on yet.  They seem to have less stress and are growing well with no disease signs; so much better than last year.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 07:59:56 am »
Small Hive Beetle Grease
Here is a formula for making Small hive Beetle Grease. I typed it in so that it is easier to copy and use. I have not used it yet but I will be trying it out soon. I was told to mix the Ingredients in a bowl and then make 1/2? round strips and place one them on top of a frame. I?m not sure of the size/amount so if someone from Beefest 2018 remembers, please correct me. I guess the best thing to do is to divide the resulting mixture up into 22 sections and put one in each hive.
I was told by 3 beekeepers from the Clay County Club that in three weeks you will not see any beetles in your hive.
It sounds like it is worth trying.
Full Batch (90 hives)   1/2 Batch (45 Hives)   1/4 Batch (22 hives)
4 lbs sugar   2 lbs sugar   1 lbs sugar
1.5 lbs Crisco   12 oz Crisco   6 oz Crisco
1 lb honey   8 oz honey   4 oz honey
2 1/2 oz Wintergreen Oil   1 1/4 oz Wintergreen Oil   .625 oz Wintergreen Oil
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2018, 09:44:17 pm »
Can anyone tell me what the equivalent of Crisco is in Australia. I know it is a vegetable fat or shortening but unsure as to what the consistency is.  It looks to be the main ingredient or at least the "body" of the recipe. Any ideas as to what I could use as a substitute? Thanks in advance.

Dunno meself Paul, an' no matter how much Shiraz  I plied
ol' Pauline with she never gave up the secret between the
sheets, like.
I reckon it's this stuff, in pails here at wholesale outlets.
The link does not mention brandnames for canola but safe bet
it is the prime base used.

http://fishandchipsawards.com.au/Information/Oils-aint-Oils

Bill

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2018, 05:00:48 am »
Thanks Bill
Done a bit of research and as far as I can ascertain the closest thing we have here is a product called Copha. It is solidish like Crisco so will make a reasonable medium for the grease part of the equation.
Will mix some up and give it a go!
Cheers
Mark

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2018, 11:28:45 am »
(That did not work, is says JPEG is the wrong typ of file) I will talk to Robo today and see what I need to do.

Jim

JPEG should also be acceptable now.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2018, 09:09:13 pm »
Small Hive Beetle Grease
Jim I only saw one beetle in all your hives.  When do they become a problem?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2018, 10:19:14 pm »
Brian,
In Jacksonville, all the time. They were in full shade and I have lots of hives all around me there.
Hopefully I will not have as bad of a problem here at the farm. The problem is that my bees will start to starve by the end of June so I will have to move them back to Jacksonville by then. Luckily I have a friend who has a 22 acre lot that has authorized me to keep them there.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2018, 12:11:22 am »
Hello Everybody,

I am the person who invented the Beetle Barrier coated with Neverwet and there are somethings that I discovered in my 60 hives that surprised me. Three years ago the coated barriers were installed in my hives and sealed, the very few SHB that I saw in some hives was because the bees chewed a hole in the polyethylene foam seal on the inner screened top cover giving SHB access into the hive. Usually the only SHB I would see were crawling around on the window screen of the inner cover trying to get in. What I discovered was that the Neverwet in the spray can kits was being chewed off the aluminum strips by the bees and letting some SHB crawl over the barrier and into the hives. I called Rustoluem and they stated that the "Industrial Neverwet" in the gallon cans was 20 times stronger than the spray can kits (I wish I knew that in the beginning), so now I am in the process of retro-fitting my hives with a new barrier design we'll call it the "2.0 Beetle Barrier". I will do one last You-Tube video on this to show you the ideas I have come up with to improve on the original beetle barrier idea. As some of you know, once the barriers are installed and the hives are sealed this system works 99.9% to keep the SHB out of the hives.   

Florida Bee Rancher
Hello Florida bee rancher. I just want to say to you, that I also watched your video with the never wet treated Alunium strips. Although some could be discouraged by some comments made here, I would like to encourage you to Press on with your idea. The company that makes this product  surely knows it's ingredients and what its limitations are along with what your expectations are as I am sure you made this clear to them upon communication. There is no doubt that you were on to something good. Even if the non spray product doesn't work, (and it might),  at least you did your best to help every beekeeper who experiences problems with small have beetle and this is to be commended. At least from a humble point of view. And I am  confident that I am not the only one who looks at it in this way! Good luck and God bless!  Sincerely Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2018, 07:17:52 am »
During BeeFest, Dave, the president of the Clay County Bee Club mentioned that he is using a new SHB Grease to get rid of all SHBs in their hives. You mix it up and smear it acros the top of one of the top frames. He says in 3 weeks you will not have a single hive beetle in your hive.
Here is a photo of the formula:
(That did not work, is says JPEG is the wrong typ of file) I will talk to Robo today and see what I need to do.
I have not tried it yet but I will Bee.

Jim

Jim this does sound promising. I am interested and would like to ask you if Dave mentioned how thick to apply the to apply this grease, or how long it will last, or how it is accepted by the bees and there reaction to it? Will it get hot and run down onto the wax ares of the frames?  Will  you be kind enough to give your personal experiences once you have tried this on your hives?  Is Dave a member of your forum? Or any others that was telling you about this new formula a member of your forum?  It would be nice to hear from them also.   Thanks, Phillip Hall

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2018, 11:11:44 am »
Quote from: Ben Framed
I am  confident that I am not the only one
who looks at it in this way! Good luck and God bless!  Sincerely Phillip Hall

I do... so that is one confirmed.
Thing is it took 3 years to get a picture to announce the fail?
Any idea of how much Ewetube revenue that raises in Clicks?
And now we are told there is some vague reference to 20%
stronger or whatever... thinking cap on, I reckon.

Bill
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:36:39 pm by eltalia »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2018, 02:45:15 pm »
[quote author=Ben Framed  Hello Florida bee rancher. I just want to say to you, that I also watched your video with the never wet treated Alunium strips. Although some could be discouraged by some comments made here, I would like to encourage you to Press on with your idea. The company that makes this product  surely knows it's ingredients and what its limitations are along with what your expectations are as I am sure you made this clear to them upon communication. There is no doubt that you were on to something good. Even if the non spray product doesn't work, (and it might),  at least you did your best to help every beekeeper who experiences problems with small have beetle and this is to be commended. At least from a humble point of view. And I am  confident that I am not the only one who looks at it in this way! Good luck and God bless!  Sincerely Phillip Hall

I do... so that is one confirmed.
Thing is it took 3 years to get a picture to announce the fail?
Any idea of how much Ewetube revenue that raises in Clicks?
And now we are told there is some vague reference to 20%
stronger or whatever... thinking cap on, I reckon.

Bill

Thanks for your reply Bill. Thinking caps are always a good thing to have on. 😊 There are up sides and down sides to every equation, in this case (experiment). You and I are in agreement that we hope this does work out in the long run. True , it would be nice if it had worked out the first time three years ago. And true this fellow, Florida bee rancher is willing to share his findings. There is always going to be different  perspectives and outlooks on any given subject. That's why I don't discount his experiment. Especially with all the effort, time, and what expense he has gone through and will go through to see this experiment done. And at the same time, I respect  your opinion as much as anyone else's on this matter. I would think the more interest, and the more  outlooks for different beekeepers, can only be good for the betterment of all beekeepers. That is why I am encouraging Florida bee rancher  to continue his experiments until he is confident, one way or another, that his idea and experiments are a successful or not. And at the same time , when he reaches a decision, he will he happy to share this conclusions with us. I don't know Florida bee rancher any more than I know you. I have no irons in the fire here except the idea that controlling the pesky small hive beetle would be good for all...  Kind  regards,  Philip Hall

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2018, 08:47:18 pm »
@Ben Framed

We definitely are playing the duet here Ben, maybe I am on Base with my
 tinted scepticism?
Thing is the number of people globally looking to turn a buck from bee
keeping - discounting the honeybadgers - grows every year almost at
compounding rates. The more airtime the industry gets the greater
escalation of the numbers.
This is not opinion but Fact by sheer numbers of startups excetera
- just one example here;
https://m.you    tube.com/watch?v=fHkQOA77EqQ

The NeverWet guy posted here, into a group that not only holds some
very savvy and well respected (USA) b'keeps, yet whilst his post has
been read more than 500 times and responded to more than 30 times..
not a peep from the guy since. Maybe he is of the opinion the points
raised are not valid, maybe he is simply a shy type... but the cynic in
me whispers it's more like the true generosity is a good as the reporting.
And that from a peer review perspective is a poor effort to say the least.

The concept is great, beetles (any) require rough surface to climb and
they prefer to climb over flying, but the delivery of results whilst accuring
Youtube "clicks" does not communicate this guy is fair dinkum, in my book.
Just another who has twisted logic to suit his own purpose, and we b'keeps
fall into line to then suffer the consequences, as Derek reports.

Dunno [shrug] I remain open to persuasion as I want to see a solution here
as much as any other ridgy didge (bona fide) b'keep.

Bill

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2018, 10:46:51 pm »
I've said it before on the forum, I use the never wet system with great results!

Jim, I also want that recipe you were talking about at Beefest.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2018, 11:48:30 pm »

@ eltalia yes it seems we are playing the duet😊. And I am thinking we are on the same team. You may very well be 100 percent right with your scepticism outlook toward this situation. Then again you may not be right? The fact is, every family, community, and government even bees, need "guards" to be protective of its people or
It's kind. In this case I am thinking that you are the guard force trying to protect the bee community from opportunist. Is this a fair assumption? On the other hand, we really don't know this guy's heart or his true intentions. Only The Good Lord knows. So if he truely is trying to help, then I say more power to him. If he is only out for self gain and a few minutes of fame and a few bucks then shame on him. If he is a honest and straight up fellow, I don't want it to be shame on me. I had questioned him when I watched the video several months ago in the comment section and he answered my questions to my satisfaction. I  can't speak for others, only myself. He seemed to know what he was talking about. I am thinking that if he is a good guy then he deserves our, or at least my, support. Now, if he does go through all of this experimentation again, with the  industrial type never wet and fails and does not report this to us then we will  know where Molly hid the peaches !! Right? I haven't looked at the YouTube video that you sent to me but I will here shortly. Thanks for your reply to me !! Sincerely, Phillip

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2018, 12:26:44 am »
I've said it before on the forum, I use the never wet system with great results!

tycrnp can I ask you how long you have been using this system?  I am new to this forum and haven't read your previous post on this matter. I am very interested in this product. And I hope that you don't mind the questions as I am trying to learn and was told, " the best way to learn is to ask questions". I have another question for you . I noticed that your location (town) or city is just 26 miles from Florida bee farmers (town) or city.  Do you personally know Florida bee farmer? And if yes, what is your relation to him? Friend, Family etc. If not how did you come across this system? Can you tell us more about the way you use this product? I have read the previous comments and have noticed  discrepancies on how it is to be used successfully. (Location of placement) Thanks for your comment. Kind reguards, Philip Hall

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2018, 12:35:48 am »

TY,
See post #26.
Jim
Ben Franklin