Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen caretaker called  (Read 4197 times)

Van, Arkansas, USA

Re: Queen caretaker called
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 12:27:29 pm »
Ace, yellow cardinals are extremely rare.  I used that example because the weather channel just a week ago feathered one such bird.  I did not know there was such a bird until then.

Some breeders in California breed exclusively for this color.  Through the years one particular breeder has acquired many, 100 of hives with Cordovan queens.  Thus the drones are all Cordovan from these queens and virgin queens can be wild mated yet the chances are they will breed with a Cordovan drone.  A Cordovan queen will produce all Cordovan drones.

I know of another breeder in California that purchases artificial inseminated (AI) Cordovan breed queens.  These are very expensive queens, $565 each,  a little bit out of my budget range for Honey bees.

I can produce AI queens, I have the equipment and training.  The training is $1400 a day with subsequent classes at $900 a day.  Some folks don?t mind paying thousands, the money does not matter.
Blessings

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 02:20:10 am »
Ace, every queen that I raised, I took a pic of it for future reference.   The laying queen going to the
caretaker also has her pic taken.   This way they cannot switch my beautiful Italian color queen.  Even if they do, I can still
make some more queens later in the season.  I'm trying to go I.I. to preserve the Cordovan genetics here.   The local Italians also
have the yellow upper bands and lower grey bands.   It may be a stabilized genetics that I like to incorporate into my
breeding program this season.   The end result might be a mite biting/mauling Cordovan bee.   Still a work in progress bee program!

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2018, 08:47:38 pm »
An update:

So I pick up this nuc hive on Thursday.  I did not get my old queen back.  And the 3 frame of bees nuc hive they gave me
have no cap broods either.   So they lied to me all these time.  I got mad and did not speak to the one who called me afterward.

The 3 frame of bees that they gave me have majority of the 3 weeks old bees.  No young nurse bees because there isn't any cap
broods.   With this set up the foragers will be depleted with one month before any new bees emerged.   Seeing this situation I did a combine.
I switch out the Jan mated queen with this nuc's new queen (because they did not give me my expensive old queen back.)    Then took the nuc
box full of bees from the Jan queen stacked on top of the 3 frame nuc hive.   Because there are 3 frames of emerging and cap broods from this
top nuc hive, they are safe for now.   One booming hive taking their orientation flights today.

Switched out the queen and put another nuc box with young nurse bees and cap broods on.    The future security of this hive is ensure!

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2018, 08:56:26 pm »
An update:

So I pick up this nuc hive on Thursday.  I did not get my old queen back.

.... bummer. "Live and learn" comes to mind.
Along with that other "if it sounds too good to be true it usually
isn't, true" . I am thinking FlowHive [tm] as I write, and think on
your tale - lots of spin can sell almost anything to reasoning
people.

Bill

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 06:19:52 am »
Really sorry to hear that you were lied to. 
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2018, 09:24:46 am »
Gees, before you fly off the handle lets rewind.  What you gave them was a queen guaranteed to die and maybe it did.  It doesn't matter what you paid for it.  What you got in return is a nuc for $125.  If the nuc is in question then tell them the situation.  What they do next will put the icing on the cake as to whether they are trust worthy or not.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2018, 10:19:50 am »
What they do next will put the icing on the cake as to whether they
 are trust worthy or not.
.... lots of spin can sell almost anything to reasoning
people.

Bill

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2018, 05:05:08 pm »
I already made up my minds to not deal with these folks anymore.  They are master at deceiving people in a
team approach.   Fool me twice shame on you!   Ace, would you go back the 2nd time for another taste of their
medicine?   Isn't once enough, Ace?   Frankly, I'm afraid to deal with them.  So when I gave them the queen for safekeeping, I don't expect too much afterward.   Somehow a  good laying queen they will want to keep to make more queens from.   When he said, your queen is very good at the
farm, meaning the almonds farm, I already knew that there is a very slight chance they will give it back to me.

So my final conclusion is to not deal with them anymore.  This will save me lots of headaches in the future.   How smart are you if going back knowing
that they are scammers?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2018, 05:19:48 pm »
Beepro I would go back and prove to myself or let them prove it to me that they are scammers.  If that is what shakes out then the last thing I would say to them is watch your backside because the way I see it is if they are pollinating almonds they got a lot more at risk  then your favored queen.  If you go back to them you are not going to give them anything you are going back to them to get something.  If they give you brood or bees are you still going to feel you got scammed?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2018, 08:06:46 pm »
Yup, got scammed this time! 
They took my expensive queen and then gave me bees without any cap
broods.  This is not how we raise bees here.  At the backbone of the hive are the
young nurse bees.   Without a few frames of them the Spring expansion will be very
slow. 

I took care of that by combining their bees with a well mated strong laying queen and 3
frames of cap broods.   Either way, I feel it is just a waste of time dealing with them.  If they want to
do it right then they only have one chance to prove themselves.   Since I have this
situation under control now, I will focus on getting the mite fighting bees for my next nucs expansion. 

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2018, 08:56:37 pm »
Yup, got scammed this time! 
I am very sorry to hear that.  Nothing turns my stomach more than someone taking advantage of someone else.  It makes my blood boil to the point I have criminal thoughts.  I would be determined to even the score.  Good of you that you can let it go.  You are a better man then me.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2018, 02:26:33 am »
Focus on the positive not the negative.   My days are filled with more + than - events.  On the bright side,
all of my nuc hives are adding new bees every day.  The hives are growing fast since it is officially Spring day here.  Everywhere there are flowers blooming and
2 frame of new nectar added last week without any syrup feeding.
You can see them getting crowded with more workers added every week.  At this rate of growth, I can make more splits very soon.  My main goal for this bee season is to make more splits to put them out in the open field inside an old abandoned little shed (house.)     This will be my backup bee yard just in case
something happen to my home yard.   I still need to get some mite biting/mauling Italians queens this season.   This will talk up most of my time doing I.I. this
season.  With so many interesting upcoming bee projects this season all I can think of is how to make better mite resistant bees.  Positive thoughts rule my minds everyday!