Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How good is fruitless pear as nectar/pollen source  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
How good is fruitless pear as nectar/pollen source
« on: March 08, 2018, 10:32:34 pm »
Bradford pears (worthless but pretty trash trees) are blooming in my area.  How good are they as a source of nectar/pollen for bees?  All I know is they clog the skimmer of my pool and the limbs break easily.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: How good is fruitless pear as nectar/pollen source
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 10:56:48 pm »
Worthless to the bees. They get less than the energy it takes to collect it
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 12:41:28 am »
Just trash trees.  Builders plant them because they are cheap, grow fast, have pretty blooms, but take up space a good tree could tree could occupy.  The only good thing about them is that their branch structure is weak, so limbs split down the trunk and they die early.  I had hoped they could at least feed some bees.  Thanks, Wally.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 10:40:18 am »
Odd I would have assumed they would have been decent as I do believe regular pear trees are

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 06:50:49 pm »
I think it's a callery pear from china. Year's ago a friend (landscaper)  showed me how they were grafted to native pear root balls , so the tree could grow ( showed me graf lines)

Offline SoManyCats

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 08:11:54 pm »
The wife's family has a large plot of land.  We walked it this week.  it has a large number of wild bradford pears.  (They say they are infertile.  Not so much.)  It also has a number of wild plums.  We noticed consistently there would be a 4 ft tall plum tree that is covered with bees right next to a 30 ft tall bradford pear with not a bee on it.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 03:30:50 pm »
Hm, this is strange to me.  At my old house I had a big flowering tree that I thought was a Bradford pear, and it was always covered in bees.  Maybe it was a different variety or something. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 08:17:00 am »
#15,
Bees pick the flowers with the best nectar and pollen.
If the pear is the only source available they will use it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin