Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: eBay honey extractors  (Read 7611 times)

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
eBay honey extractors
« on: February 27, 2018, 05:10:59 pm »
Hi Guys,

I've been looking at all the listings for extractors on eBay and I'm curious if anyone has had experience purchasing them. The prices are excellent and the reviews on eBay are pretty good. However, I'm skeptical.  Any insight?  Thanks.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: eBay honey extractors
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 05:15:01 pm »
Maybe a link so we know what you are looking at?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 07:26:51 pm »
Sure.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Four-4-Frame-Stainless-Steel-Honey-Extractor-Electric-Beehive-120W-Motor/172104814320?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

But this is just one.  Easy enough to just pull up eBay and search "honey extractors".  That's what I did and got a ton of them.  Motor looks questionable but the hand cranked ones look very sturdy.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 07:46:16 pm »
2sox, greeting.  One main concern  of a honey extractor is the thickness of the stainless steel barrel or tub. I have seen some, so thin, a person could easily dimple the metal, so metal thickness is important.  Also there are two basic types of stainless steel.  One type is magnetic and contains iron, the other type is non magnetic, high grade composed of chrome and nickel.  The non magnetic is expensive due to the high cost of chrome and nickel compared to cheap cost of iron.

The non magnetic is superior on all fronts.  The magnetic type of stainless steel will actually rust and is inferior.

Summary, thickness of metal?????
Magnetic or non magnetic.

I should add the bottom of the extractor should be convex, rounded curved upward, not flat so the extractor will naturally completely drain.
Blessings
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 09:22:10 pm by Van, Arkansas, USA »

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 10:30:36 pm »
I have one of the 2-frame hand-crankers and it works fine for someone like me with 2-4 hives. There is a certain amount of old-school feel (like 1940's home-made!), and a few sharp edges to file down to avoid cutting yourself when handling. I clean and dry really well after every use and have had no rust issues. The thickness of the material is good and stiff.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 12:29:42 am »
Thanks for these replies, guys.  Useful info.  Did you pull up these items?  Curious about your opinion.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 10:08:47 am »
I did not research.  I am/was a certified welder when young before I enrolled in college, so I know steel, stainless, carbon and so on.  I also have an extractor, non magnetic, rounded bottom, crank at 45 degree angle.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 10:22:45 am »
My concern would be the drive.  What happens if the board blows.  How do you get replacement and at what cost?  For a hobbyist I think it is a fit.  They designed it for a hobbyist.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 11:39:20 am »
Acebird,
What you say makes good sense.  I've considered that.  That's why a hand crank system looks more attractive.  Trade off is in labor.  Motorized can let you do other things while machine is doing the work.

Just heard from seller.  Canister is made from 201 stainless - which is mid grade.  Still waiting to hear about the gauge.

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 01:36:26 pm »
For that price, if you don't have more than a few hives, and you are careful to keep it clean and dry, the extractor might work for years. Or the electronics/motor could burn up on you next season. Will you be able to get replacement parts? If you have to get them shipped from overseas, will you want to wait that long to do your extraction? For less than $200 more, you can get a solid hand-crank extractor of similar size from a major bee supply company in the states, who would have parts for you should you need them. That is the way I would go, if I could get the extra $125 or so together. Hand-cranking a few supers isn't very difficult, and it takes away the danger of broken electronics shutting you down for days/weeks.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 01:41:25 pm »
Ace, did you change your avitor, picture to a wolf?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 05:52:46 pm »
No, why do you say that?  Looks to me like 2Sox is a wolf.
Personally I wouldn't worry about the gage.  It is rolled steel like a pot on your stove.  It might make a good starter extractor.  If the drive craps out you might be able to get something here to replace it or use a drill motor.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 11:07:40 pm »
Ace, Oops, my mistake.  Blessings

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 03:05:22 pm »
Just ordered this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Electric-4-8-Frame-Stainless-Steel-Honey-Extractor-Beekeeping-Equipment-Drum/332532946543?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Good advice about keeping a cautious eye towards the motor.  These units are all over the place.  I'd imagine it wouldn't be difficult to order a replacement motor some time in the future.  Same company makes a hand crank for the same drum, if push comes to shove.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 09:05:54 pm »
Same company makes a hand crank for the same drum, if push comes to shove.
You got to have that Ace in a hole...:-)
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Oliviaman

• Brood
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2021, 12:12:06 pm »
I didn't try it yet, but my brother ordered honey on eBay. He told me that everything is all right and he is pleased with the product he received.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 12:40:39 pm »
I didn't try it yet, but my brother ordered honey on eBay. He told me that everything is all right and he is pleased with the product he received.

I ordered a 4 frame one on Amazon. I am pleased with if for now. It has got me through the season and saved my frames of comb! In the future I hope I will need a larger one. The price was right. .30WCF recommended this to me. Thanks again .30WCF !!...

Wombat2 posted a topic featuring his home built 9 frame extractor May 2015 along with some pictures. I am really impressed with the heavy duty design. The topic, though very interesting, was shy on details. 😊 Using my imagination, I plan to build something similar this winter when time allows.

Not one for half measures I decided to make my own 9 frame extractor. My nephew who is a welder of stainless steel made the spinner cage and I made the rest from scrape iron and a sheet of Colorbond.The self draining bottom was fashioned from an old satellite dish.
It is powered by a high torque low RPM drill designed for stirring paint and plaster mixes.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 01:01:54 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2021, 01:03:47 pm »
Oliviaman,  I just noticed this is your first post. Welcome to beemaster!! Thanks for posting of your brothers extractor! .. :grin:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2021, 05:21:56 pm »
Oliviaman, welcome  :happy:

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2021, 07:28:21 pm »
If you are thinking that your apiary  may grow in the future then think a lot bigger than you think you need. The cost is usually not proportional.
Also for the ultimate disease break, if your extractor takes a super of frames, 8 frame boxes, 4, 8, 16, 24 etc, so your frames go back into the same super. A small BK, 60 hives has his hives and supers numbered, 8 frames, extractor 16 frames, and the supers with their frames, go back to their hive after each extraction.