Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Engineered Honey Bee  (Read 1502 times)

Van, Arkansas, USA

Engineered Honey Bee
« on: February 21, 2018, 02:47:40 pm »
March 2018 edition of the American Bee Journal ?What Happened to the Genetically Engineered Honey Bee.?

Ok, the madness has begun, a honey bee egg NOW can be successfully injected with genetic material.  This is not going to end well.  I am certain the scientists will have the best of intentions.  The problem is we don?t know enough about the genetics of bees so there is going to be some experimental guess work is what the process boils down to.

Plants are one thing to experiment with, they don?t fly, they don?t sting in contrasts to the case with honey bees.

If these engineers accidentally stumble onto a lab created CAPE HONEYBEE, the bee industry would be doomed.  As you may or may not know in Southern Africa there is an itialian honey bee that naturally evolved and was given the name Cape Honey bee.  This bee wiped out 20,000 African honey bee hives.  This is a most deadly bee on the planet.  The cape bee does not cause harm to mammals, it is not aggressive, however this cape bee is absolutely deadly to all strains of honey bees.  Even the feared African hiney bee had zero chance of survival after invasion by the Cape  Honey bee.

How the Cape Honey Bee destroys:
A mutant bee created by harsh winds of Southern Africa.  With winds so fierce and completely unpredictable the local honey bees queens seldom returned from mating flights leaving the colony queenless.  The result was a mutant bee emerged, a female worker bee that laid eggs that matured to worker bees, NOT DRONES.  Let me be clear, the Cape honey bee is a worker bee, not mated that lays worker bees, again NOT A DRONE LAYER.

These worker bees, not fertile, make their way into neighboring hives, the resident queen disappeares and the Cape worker bee commences to lay eggs that become workers bees that invade other colonies and the process repeats itself.  The Cape Honey Bee  does not collect pollen, does not do any chores, just obtains entrance to a hive and that hive is doomed.  Twenty thousand African honey bee hives were destroyed by the Cape Honey Bee.

So far, to date that is, the Cape Honey bee is present only in South Africa.  My immediate concern is Australia, the closest land mass.

So how can an unfertile worker bee create a seamingly fertile offspring, worker bee that is.  The cape worker bee lays an unfertile egg with only one set of genes which in normal cases developes into a drone, however due to a mutation, each genes duplicates itself thus generating a worker bee with two identical sets of genes.  Just as if a fertile queen laid an egg with 2 copies of each gene.  There is a name for this duplication of chromosome is called a thelytoky.

I do not understand why this bee is not destroyed in Africa as the bee posses a world threat.
Blessings

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Re: Engineered Honey Bee
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 04:28:09 pm »
Odd stuff indeed

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 09:17:33 pm »
Van,
How could you destroy the cape bee if after years of trying to destroy the AHB and not making a dent in its population or territory?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 11:39:42 pm »
What do you think breeders have been doing for years?  Selecting for certain genes. If fear of the unknown kept us from advancing we would still be living in caves. 
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 04:41:14 am »
What do you think breeders have been doing for years?  Selecting for certain genes. If fear of the unknown kept us from advancing we would still be living in caves.

There's a HUGE difference between selecting and engineering - and it's in the distinction between the two where the anxiety (quite reasonably) lies.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 06:11:11 am »
March 2018 edition of the American Bee Journal ?What Happened to the Genetically Engineered
Honey Bee.?

(edit

I do not understand why this bee is not destroyed in Africa as the bee posses a world threat.
Blessings

Heh Heh... now you got Me trawling the Guggle hits!
http://beeaware.org.au/archive-pest/cape-honey-bee/#ad-image-0

Of course I am clueless on this subspecies beyond what I have read on
the FlowHive forum from a few that have them. I can see a problem in
existing queenless, but do they, as a norm?

FWIW ... I am not surprised to read the confusion/bemuddlement over
"Selected" and "Engineered" as it is exactly these emotive BS outcrys
from the great unwashed that fund Greenpeace.. so maybe for once
those odd folk are of use.

:grin:

Bill

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 10:21:00 am »
The cape bee lays eggs that are clones of the worker who laid the egg. They are diploid and have two sets of not identical genes both coming from the bee that laid the egg.  The process is called thelytoky and is a form of parthenogenesis.   Cape bee workers also work.  Not all of them lay eggs.  The cape bee colony has many workers gathering pollen, nectar etc, but also can have workers that are laying eggs.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 08:57:29 pm »
If they can do it to the monkey I'm sure they can with the bees.  The entire bee genome
has been map out.  It is just a matter of time.   I hope they have learn something from the AHB experiment.

anything