Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bushes for Bees  (Read 2938 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Bushes for Bees
« on: January 18, 2018, 11:21:38 am »
I was recently told that I coudl plant about 75 yards of a tin building with bushes. This has been an area that until now has been useless for my bees as it has just been cut but might have had some weeds in it. As I can only plant next tot he building it will still be cut but now I can at least plant useful plants for my bees. It is probably at most 150 yards from the bees. I know it will not do a lot for the bees but it is better than nothing. What should I plant?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Bushes for Bees
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 02:46:15 pm »
Red twig dogwood (Cornus sericea or Cornus stolonifera) is very striking to look at and the bees like them.  I don't know how much they produce, but if you keep them trimmed they can make a nice bright red barked hedge with pretty white flowers in the spring.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 02:59:22 pm »
Thanks. That sounds like a sharp looking bush.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 03:24:25 pm »
I live in NE Texas very close to your climate.  I asked your exact question at the Bee Club.  The lady answering our questions is absolutely the best qualified person I personally know to answer this question.  Her answer, Texas sage.  I do not know your soil analysis but this is what I am starting,  T sage roots extermely well, so I have a green house with several small plants, with maybe a hundred more to be started this spring.  Yes they are cold tolerant.  Google this plant, it may be a fit for you.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 05:05:29 pm »
My climate is vastly different than yours, but I?m taking a dual purpose approach. I only plant things that will be of use to me and maybe to my bees. Mostly edibles like blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, etc.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 05:32:17 pm »
This last week my climate has been closer to Minn. than I would like.  I have just come back inside from repairing a frozen pipe and it was protected more than we usually consider necessary.  I had 10 degrees that is very rare here. Our local TV stations listed several low records and record low highs.  Darn global warming.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 10:35:30 pm »
Lol if you think that?s bad how about nearly a month of highs below zero?  This winter has been horribly cold. Finally warmed up today. I?m pretty sure it was even in the 30s!
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 11:48:33 pm »
I would abscound

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 11:13:44 am »
I live in NE Texas very close to your climate.  I asked your exact question at the Bee Club.  The lady answering our questions is absolutely the best qualified person I personally know to answer this question.  Her answer, Texas sage.  I do not know your soil analysis but this is what I am starting,  T sage roots extermely well, so I have a green house with several small plants, with maybe a hundred more to be started this spring.  Yes they are cold tolerant.  Google this plant, it may be a fit for you.

Does it continually flower or does it just flower once.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 12:42:31 pm »
In what direction does this side of the tin building face ?  If it's North, then you'll need shade-tolerant plants.  If it's South - then that wall will probably get hot enough on a sunny day to fry eggs on, let alone scorch the leaves off most plants if they should ever make contact with it ...   Hopefully you'll be able to space them a short distance from the wall itself ?
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 01:23:59 pm »
Texas sage is colloquially known as the Barometer plant because it blooms every time it rains.  So far my one large plant does this and I watered it last August and it bloomed then.  I have some 4-6 inch plants and some of them bloom in the green house.  They are very cold tolerant .  They do need 6.0 pH and up so I have to lime them as my natural soil is 5- 6pH.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 01:43:43 pm »
In what direction does this side of the tin building face ?  If it's North, then you'll need shade-tolerant plants.  If it's South - then that wall will probably get hot enough on a sunny day to fry eggs on, let alone scorch the leaves off most plants if they should ever make contact with it ...   Hopefully you'll be able to space them a short distance from the wall itself ?
LJ

Yeah I can come a couple feet off the wall. It runs east/west

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 01:44:28 pm »
Texas sage is colloquially known as the Barometer plant because it blooms every time it rains.  So far my one large plant does this and I watered it last August and it bloomed then.  I have some 4-6 inch plants and some of them bloom in the green house.  They are very cold tolerant .  They do need 6.0 pH and up so I have to lime them as my natural soil is 5- 6pH.

Yeah I would have to lime mine also. We get like 55 inches of rain so that should mean continual bloom right? I will try to plant some of this and what Mr.  Bush recommended.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 02:01:58 pm »
Google " TAMU Texas sage" lots of information

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 05:35:37 pm »
Will do

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 12:00:27 am »
Texas sage sounds interesting. Will it grownin FL?
We have lost of sandy soil.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 12:11:52 pm »
Also is Texas Sage a good nectar, pollen, or both producer?

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 01:53:50 pm »
I have seen Texas sage making a sound like an airliner taking off, buzzing with bees.  look up " pollen and nectar plants" Texas sage and Maximillian sunflower is listed as top nectar and pollen producers. 
The sunflower would be a nice fit for a border planting and they are also a perennial

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 09:56:23 pm »
I?m going to plant an acre of it this spring!  😜
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 10:10:58 am »
I have seen Texas sage making a sound like an airliner taking off, buzzing with bees.  look up " pollen and nectar plants" Texas sage and Maximillian sunflower is listed as top nectar and pollen producers. 
The sunflower would be a nice fit for a border planting and they are also a perennial

I have to plant this now.