Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Selling at farmer's markets  (Read 4451 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Selling at farmer's markets
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2018, 09:35:30 am »
The way I deal with hagglers is to send them to Wallmart because that is the honey they are looking for.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 06:10:49 pm »
That's a very interesting and clever idea little john, thanks.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2018, 06:19:46 pm »
The way I deal with hagglers is to send them to Wallmart because that is the honey they are looking for.

Ah, yes!  That fine quality product from China, perhaps, by way of Vietnam -- just as sweet as what we are offering, and you're saving money by buying a product that has traveled halfway around the world instead of throwing your cash away on a local product.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 01:27:25 pm »
I think your on the right track with the hagglers offering a discount for bigger purchases but instead of discounting multiple purchases of small containers maybe look at bigger containers or cheaper packaging options for those wanting cheaper honey.

How do you price your honey? I price mine at $10/kg and then triple my packaging costs.
My retail prices end up as
500g PET jar $8
500g squeeze bottle $8.50
1kg tub $15

The markets my brother sells at seems to want honey in glass so I use 400g jars retail on these ends up $8.25, $9.00 if I drop in a small piece of comb honey.

Tubs are available in 1kg 1.5kg, 2kg, 3kg and probably a variety of larger sizes, they  would allow you to sell at a discount without actually discounting your honey price.

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2018, 06:09:11 am »
Hagglers can be a concern at certain types of markets and some markets everyone wants to pay next to nothing. Not sure where you are omnimirage put I suspect somewhere around Sydney I suggest you find a better quality market. For example if you want to sell at the Blacktown markets everyone will try and beat you down, however if you go to the inner city markets like Orange Grove they will pay the price you have marked.
First and foremost you need to work out what your honey is worth, jar, label, your time looking after bees, harvesting, extracting, petrol, how much the stand at the market is costing you all the costs involved and arrive at a price per kilo.
Set that price and stick to it if that is $10 for 500gm jar sell it for that. Your job is to then persuade your customers why your honey is "special". Straight from the hive to you. No additives, Pure, raw honey. Tell them a story, show them pictures of hives and bees working, give them facts like each jar of honey requires bees to fly 180,000 km. Add value.
Explain why your honey is different to supermarket "honey" or sugar that is being sold as honey.
Mercedes benz sell their vehicles at a certain price because that is what they value them at they don't worry that Toyota sell a Corolla at a quarter of the price of their offering and cut the price.

And when that haggler does come along ask them if they are employed or working, generally they will say yes. So then ask them that if their boss came to them tomorrow and said " Hey look I know we pay you $25 and hour but today how about you work for $20 an hour? Oh and by the way I want you to work another couple of hours( bulk purchase, buying more than one) so why don't we call it a round $19 per hour?" Ask whether they would agree to that. Generally they will laugh at you and say "No way" So then ask them why do they think it is fair to ask the same of you. Do it in a nice way and they will always pay full price.
Do not devalue your worth or that of your bees. If they don't buy your honey you can always take it home and bring it back next week, it's not going to go off.
Good luck
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 07:59:01 am by Bamboo »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 10:58:05 am »
>I had a weird interaction where one person asked if my honeycomb was real, he then told me that some people are manufacturing fake honeycomb that looks real and attempt to sell them as the real deal.

A.I. Root had a standing reward (I don't remember the exact amount but it was in the thousands of dollars) for anyone who could show they could make fake comb honey.  No one ever collected...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2018, 05:16:16 pm »
I think it is possible today by not practical.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 06:01:14 pm »
Good reply Bamboo.
If you sell a range of weights, 500g, 1kg, 1.5kg,3kg then the price gets cheaper the more you buy.
Another rely for hagglers is " how many do you want to buy" or if you are feeling mean today when ask for a discount is " not today, it will sell at this price tomorrow".
We also price honey different, yellow box (high demand, short supply)and tea tree (medical qualities) sell at a premium.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2018, 12:09:03 am »
I think it is possible today by not practical.

Anything is possible.  One way would be in a 3-D printer. Somebody is even printing houses for impoverished countries.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2018, 06:32:42 am »
You guys obviously have too much time to thinks about this stuff, let the bees do it.
Get some more hives to occupy you mind.

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2018, 08:14:44 pm »
I'm not sure why beemaster doesn't email notify me of replies sometimes! Great discussion guys.

@220

Good idea about bigger packaging. I have been considering offering a 3kg tub and I'll look into this, it should cheaper and less time consuming to package one 3kg tub than three 1kg tub. Regardless though, a number of people who end up buying more than a single container of honey do so because they plan to gift them to people.

$10 a kilo + tripled packaging costs is a very interesting way of approaching it and I'll keep such in mind. Does that mean you're paying around $1.50 for a 1kg container honey tub? Because that's way too expensive. I see that you're from Australia. I don't know where you're buying your containers from, but I'm getting my 1kg honey tubs for around $.65 each including lid, from the companies called plasedene - silverlock and cospak. If they don't have outlets near you I'd imagine you'd be able to ship them and still get a tub at a cheaper price than you appear to pay. (I just realised the label also costs money and might be why your container is expensive)

My pricing approach has been pretty simple. I was selling my 1kg tubs for $10 just because I was inexperienced, not confident in myself and wanting to feel how people was responding to my products. People have been quite positively inclined to it and I've received some comments on my cheap prices. I've also noted that yes, you can buy honey for $10 a kilo in shops and what not but I believe my honey is in general of significantly higher quality. So I've increased the price and experimenting with selling it at $11 for a kilo, which is what has inspired all the hagglers to get me down to $10. I haven't gotten a label on my products yet, my plan is to put one on there hopefully sometime soon and then increase the price to $12 for a tub. I'm also selling these hexagon glass jars, about 350 grams worth of honey for $5 and these 650 gram round glass jars for $8. I and the customers seem quite happy with these prices for such I buy the jar and lid for between $.6 to $.7 each. Interesting that you charge an extra $.75 for a slice of honeycomb I had wondered about that. I was putting in a slice in the 650g glass jars and charging an extra $.5 for it which seemed very popular.

@Bamboo

I'm around Adelaide. This market is the type where people want to pay next to nothing. I'm struggling to find a good market, the markets that are good ready have an existing person selling honey there regularly and it doesn't seem worth to try and outcompete them. I'm thinking of getting more involved in selling at church fete markets as the people that attend those like to spend money as a means of supporting their church and community.

Food for thought thanks Bamboo. I don't think I can have that sort of dialogue with most that haggle, as the haggling types tend to have poor English communicating skills. Its hard to really know how much time I spend with the bees, I know its a lot, I need to start taking better records. I just know that I want to sell what my bees make, and wholesale distributors will buy it off me at just $5.5 a kilo which is too low for my interests.

How would you show them pictures of hives and bees? I do believe that such things to engage and interest customers will result in more sales. I've thought about building an obversation hive to take with me, I'd have to talk with management first to see if they'd allow such though. People are interested in bees and want to be informed and educated on such but I'm not sure how to efficiently do that when given a market stall. I've thought about taking some of my beekeeping gear to have a display of sorts, to show off a smoker and hivetool, maybe an empty hive with some frames. I'm not really sure what sort of response that would have from onlookers. Suppose it may be worth a try.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2018, 09:11:17 pm »
@omnimirage

"I'm around Adelaide"

.... tbe land of chocolate and dot paintings.
You have some stiff competition for the disposable dollar.
Can you say "Handorf"...Lucks to ya ;-)

Bill

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2018, 08:56:40 am »
I'm not really sure what sort of response that would have from onlookers. Suppose it may be worth a try.
At a farmer's market it is a plus.  Put your name and address on the equipment.  It gives people the feeling that you didn't borrow the hive from another beekeeper.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2018, 07:42:06 pm »
We have a banner, about 6 x 2 feet that is a photo of our hives with nice trees etc.
Do you have your own bees? Point to the banner, that's us.
The banner is put on the back of the gazebo with ocky straps.
By law in Victoria you cannot sell honey without product description, your name address and phone number.
The label, even though ours are home printed makes you look more legitimate and gives the product a name.
Ours is just, "Beavo's Honey".
We also make sales from the phone number on the label.

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2018, 06:30:29 am »
Good ideas guys especially with the banner. its law in my state to declare name contact number and address as well. I'm rather puzzled as to why most honey I see at honey doesn't include this. apparently the law just isn't enforced in this regards.

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2018, 07:11:34 am »
. its law in my state to declare name contact number and address as well. I'm rather puzzled as to why most honey I see at honey doesn't include this. apparently the law just isn't enforced in this regards.
Plus it is just plain good marketing, you want people to be able find you/ buy off you again.