Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Goldenrod smell  (Read 2403 times)

Offline UrbisAgricola

• New Bee
Goldenrod smell
« on: November 03, 2017, 05:31:57 pm »
I know people have told me you can leave Goldenrod on the hive and most if not all of the smell will dissipate.  Any idea how long?  Last year the hives did not smell so much but the honey, once extracted, did have a smell.
We all do better when we all do better.

Van, Arkansas, USA

Re: Goldenrod smell
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 06:19:27 pm »
Are you talking goldenrod or Bitterweed ?????? Bitterweed is prevalent in our areas and to me, I must extract honey prior to July 4 or I'll have Bitterweed laiden honey.  Bitterweed was very prolific this year in Arkansas, I'll bet Louisiana is/was the same. 
Blessings

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 07:21:26 pm »
When Goldenrod is capped it is ready.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 10:04:50 pm »
Hey Mr. Jim.  Have you ever noticed a bitter smell to golden rod?  There are over 100 types in the US.  Kind of like clover, there are many species.  In Montana there is a sweet clover, called well,  er uh,,, "sweet clover" that reaches 6 ft in height.  My pasture was planted in Sweet clover and alfalfa.  I will never forget the aroma.  The entire air filled with the sweetest aroma.

However the golden rod I have been around is not bitter, but I do not know which of the 100 species that I have been close to.  There may be bitter varieties of goldenrod that I don't know.

I am trying to figure if Urbis if confusing golden rod with Bitterweed???
Blessings

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 10:56:24 pm »
Goldenrod honey has a distinctive odor when it is curing. I notice it as soon as I get near the hives. Once it is cured I love the flavor. Tastes great in coffee.
Neill

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 11:17:13 pm »
Van,
I think you are right about the Bitter Weed. I know a Beek that runs 70 hives. He collects his honey in June and sells it. In the July August time frame his hives are full again and he will not use it. Says it is a bitter honey. My buddy and I tasted it and thought it was good honey.
Goldenrod does not bloom until October.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline UrbisAgricola

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 08:46:58 pm »
I'm talking about goldenrod.  I just learned a couple days ago from one of you about the multiple varieties out there.  The kind prevalent here in Southwest Louisiana is a fairly common type, methinks (because there are a number of websites and people I talk to about it), with a very strong odor.  Some people describe it as smelling like gym socks.   I would just say it smells "funky" and not appetizing.  Most people upon opening a jar will say/think, "There is something wrong with this honey."  Someone above said when it is capped it is good to go.  Maybe that is the answer I was looking for.  At any rate, it turns out to be moot for me this year.  I had about as many hives miss the goldenrod as what caught it so most of my surplus I am putting on hives I think need it.  The bees don't care about the smell.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 11:05:15 am »
>Goldenrod does not bloom until October.

I've seen it blooming in July here in Nebraska.  Some of it.  Some of it doesn't bloom until August or September.  It's done by October here.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline UrbisAgricola

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 06:52:04 pm »
By a fluke it bloomed down here in May this year. Here it usually starts in late Sept/early Oct.  We still have a little still blooming that I have seen.