Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Apiary layout and drift  (Read 6078 times)

Offline UrbisAgricola

• New Bee
Re: Apiary layout and drift
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2017, 10:51:14 am »
I use gas that has no ethanol in all my small engines.  I should use it in my truck as well, but too cheap for that.  Y'all don't find weedeaters to be high maintenance?
We all do better when we all do better.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2017, 12:18:33 pm »
A good weedeater does the trick but they are high maintenance.
New weed eater carbs are unaffected by the new gas except for leaving gas in the carb for a long time.  Run them dry for long storage.
I have usually around 3 hives so I use a sickle in front of the hive in late evening.  I also pull weeds after they flower.  Try not to hit the hive or base with the sickle.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
Apiary layout and drift
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2017, 12:27:36 pm »
With my cheap weed eaters I use, the fuel line into the tank rots. The carbs may be ok but pulling a new fuel line through is a pain in the rear.

Kevin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2017, 04:41:07 pm »
Kwait,
The next time you have to change a gas line, look for a kit that has a pull tool in it. They make it a lot easier.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline UrbisAgricola

• New Bee
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2017, 04:42:57 pm »
Nevermind
We all do better when we all do better.

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2017, 04:44:00 pm »
Thanks for the tip. I?ll check them out.

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2017, 09:16:14 pm »
I got tired of fighting the engines and got an electric weed whacker.  It is plenty to do around the hives and no gas in the car.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2017, 04:43:06 am »
Over on this side of the pond we call the heavy duty jobs 'brush-cutters', and the lighter, domestic variety 'strimmers' - the latter usually being electric.  I would never use a strimmer around a beehive, for fear of a mass attack - which has indeed happened to me in the past.  They must sound to the bees like The Hornet From Hell.  No problem with motor mowers, scythes, sickles etc - it's just that high-pitched 'zizz' sound of the strimmer which upsets my girls.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2017, 08:39:40 am »
I was concerned about that,  but mine isn't high pitched and hasn't caused any issues. 

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2017, 08:42:25 am »
My wife uses an electric because she can't handle the weight of the gas weed eater.  After the first spool got used we couldn't get the second real to eject the string worth a darn so she bought another electric weed eater, same brand.  Something was wrong with the spool because now they both work fine.  I have never used either gas or electric in front of the hive due to the reports.  Weeds are usually too strong to take down anyway with a trimmer because I let them flower.  This year I didn't trim them and paid the price with a hive beetle infestation.  It won't happen next year because the bill board people built me a road and double wide gate in front of my hives.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FtoXir36OuVpiHh13
Added photo link
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 12:50:22 pm by Acebird »
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2017, 10:27:51 am »
Lil John, I am surprised to hear your bees get upset.  I mow in front of entrance in the spring with a riding mower, or 40 volt trimmer, no problems.  During a dearth, I wear protection.  My bees are not really bothered by the noise, (gas or electric).  Now grass exhaust on hive entrance is asking for trouble.  My hives are 12" above ground, so actually I am mowing under the hive, not directly in front of the hive entrance.  I am sure this makes a difference, also soft grass, no heavy weeds.  As long as I don't vibrate the hive, my bees are usually OK.

Using an electric leaf blower, I inadvertently (the wind picked up) showered a hive entrance with leaf matter.  Oh no, I thought.  Now that excited the lil bees and they let me know it.  However, the bees immediately calmed down after I redirected the leaves away from the hive entrance and I paid more attention to the wind gust.  Gotta luv those lil critters, I say.
Blessings

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2017, 11:56:06 am »
I have carpet or other material under my stands so I only have to mow vegetation about 2 feet in front of hive stand.  I have been using a riding mower and direct the cuttings away from hives.  I have always only made one pass and go to another stand, this summer I decided I would make the second round.  They were waiting to give me a very memorable reception.  I don't need to be honored in such a fashion so from now on one trip per day.  It seems more humorous today than it was that day.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2017, 09:01:24 pm »
I mow right up to the hives on a riding mower all the time and use a weed eater and the bees don't mind as long as I keep the exhaust gas and grass away from the hives.
I did, one time mow next to my hives when they were on the bee trailer in a pasture. It was a new mower and I did not realize that it threw the grass behind and upwards. As soon as I past the bees the bees they told me there was a problem.  I could not bee within 100 feet of the hives with out being attacked. I kept taking 30 minute breaks hoping they would settle down. Eventually I put my suit on, not zipped up, and finished the job.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin