Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beetle blockers/bee mobility  (Read 904 times)

Offline derekNGA

• New Bee
Beetle blockers/bee mobility
« on: October 11, 2017, 02:41:34 pm »
Once bees enter the hive, how do they then get to the frames?

Reason asking....in an effort to battle beetles I decided to try the never wet on flashing strip method.  Made 1-1/8" as instructions.  However, that is if mounting to front of deep and the other 3 sides to the bottom board.  In doing this, only 3/8" will be protruded inside the box as a baffle/barrier for the beetles.  Is the 3/8" a magic length to prevent beetles, but bees can span it?

Reason asking is cause I had the idea of I did not want to be attaching or attempting to be attaching the strips to my hives while in bee suit and gloves while having the hives apart.  Just not my cup of tea.

So my idea was to make a frame, attach them and then it would be much easier to install on the hive.  So, I decided to use inner cover frames only the frame, not the plywood section with the oblong hole.  Use the frames only and attached the flashing strips to the cover lip where the plywood would normally sit.  Well, this method puts all of the 1-1/8" never wet coated strips inside the hive. So, Im now wondering if I install onto a hive, will it be preventing the bees from entering and getting up?  That is if they enter and go to the sides and then up?? Or is never wet not bee repellent?

Offline derekNGA

• New Bee
Re: Beetle blockers/bee mobility
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 02:51:50 pm »
Photo of what I done...sorry only a corner, photo too big and would not let me submitt it all.