Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Size of swarms question  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Size of swarms question
« on: September 25, 2017, 02:32:34 pm »
What's the smallest swarm you would drive 10 miles to collect from a low-hanging branch?  I'm thinking maybe the size of a volleyball.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline gww

• Super Bee
Re: Size of swarms question
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 03:07:19 pm »
Dallas
I I wouldn't have any hives if I went by the volley ball size.  Most of my swarms in traps were about ten miles away.
Cheers
gww

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 03:16:54 pm »
Except if they SAY it's the size of a volley ball it's the size of a baseball...

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 03:28:21 pm »
And what if yhey say it's the size of a basebal, as in the present case on my club's swarm notice?
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 03:37:13 pm »
For only 10 miles, I go for all of them as long I know they are honey bees. I. E. Received a picture to verify. Where I live now, everything is 20 miles away.  :cheesy:
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 05:56:22 pm »
I wouldn't go across the street for a swarm in the fall.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 10:00:20 pm »
We are still making splits here. The biggest problem is getting them enough food. Right now we have Spanish needle in full bloom and golden rod is budding.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 10:18:40 am »
>And what if yhey say it's the size of a basebal, as in the present case on my club's swarm notice

Then it's probably 20 bees... this time of year even if it IS the size of a baseball, it's not enough bees to be worth the gasoline...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 04:42:18 pm »
That's about what I expected.  Too bad for the bees, but maybe somebody closer will go get them.  Thanks for the input.

anything