Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bearding in high humidity  (Read 1152 times)

Offline phill

• House Bee
Bearding in high humidity
« on: September 19, 2017, 12:20:52 pm »
One of my hives has begun bearding very heavily in humid weather. It's not the heat, as they say; it's the humidity. Right now it's about 65?, but humidity is 97, and they're clustering outside the entrance. They didn't do this in August when it was in the 90s.

There's plenty of empty room in the hive, and I've opened up the brood chamber to allow better air flow.

I did a mite count and it's high-- 4 per 100-- but not extreme.

Now what? Suggestions?

Van, Arkansas, USA

Re: Bearding in high humidity
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 01:08:24 pm »
Something is going on, my impression was honeybees like humidity.  Bearding at 65 degrees with ample space in the hive seems unusual, rather odd.  What are your other hives doing?
Blessings

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 01:33:26 pm »
Mr. Phill, what is the hive weight, just lift one end of the hive and determine if there is weight which equates to food stores.  more specifically is there ample honey in the hive.

I have seen robbed out hives beard,  As if the bees just gave up and were waiting to die.  When food was provided the bees immediately went inside the hive and all was normal.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 01:42:50 pm »
I have had a lot of bearding lately with my bees but we have finally had warm weather after a cool rainy summer. The only hive of mine that isn't bearding is one that is weak and light. I just gave that one a frame of bees and brood from another very strong hive over the weekend. I am not sure what their problem was but they were quite nasty. I got stung more times from one hive on Sunday than I have all summer. It was the strong hive that was so nasty. I am not sure if it was because they had so much honey they were protecting or because it was such a strong hive with so many bees. Regardless I don't really want to go through that again. It wasn't fun.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline phill

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 02:17:31 pm »
Van, the other hives are acting normal: no bearding except when it's hot. This particular hive is very heavy; plenty of honey stored. In fact I was wondering whether there's too much stored in the brood chamber. (After the harvest I left one super, which they've barely filled out with comb.)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 02:36:18 pm »
I've been seeing more bearding this week compared to last week. The temp and humidity dropped last week.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.