Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Golden Rod  (Read 4112 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Golden Rod
« on: August 17, 2017, 11:12:28 am »
We have had a super wet year. Already over 70 inches of rain. Will I be able to harvest some golden rod honey this year?

Van, Arkansas, USA

Re: Golden Rod
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 01:31:51 pm »
Mr. Wallace, in Arkansas there are over 20 different species of Goldenrod.  Some species like wet soil while others like dry, well drained soil.  In the US, there are over 100 species.

In Arkansas the goldenrod blooms from July through Sept on average.  This day, today, my bees are packing in pollen, several different shades of color, even though we had 3/4" rain this morning.  Go figure, I would think the pollen would have been washed off the flowers.

I'm sure in your area there will be some, at least some goldenrod, remember some species like moisture.  70 inches is awesome, maybe to awesome, I agree.  However goldenrod is a prolific plant producing lots of both nectar and pollen as you probably already know.

Have you noticed bees bringing in pollen lately???  I would say in my area, N Arkansas, the fall flow has started, judging by my bees packing pollen.
Blessings

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 08:31:55 pm »
The Goldenrod bloom has started in earnest in NE Texas, but no bees on it.  But they are working something as they are bringing in pollen.  No one around that I have talked to has much of a honey crop and every one is blaming the unusual amount of rain, including today.  Do the bees work the Goldenrod first or is that a second choice?   

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 09:16:02 pm »
We have had a super wet year. Already over 70 inches of rain.
Rain is a wonderful thing until there is too much.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 11:42:31 pm »
"Paus",
The bees work the best sources of food whether it is pollen or nectar.
If they are not working the Goldenrod, either there is a better plant or the goldenrod is not producing nectar. The second part happens a lot. This spring, there were tons of Gallberry flowers, they were working it, I saw the bees on it, but there was very little nectar.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 09:47:36 am »
Mr. Wallace, in Arkansas there are over 20 different species of Goldenrod.  Some species like wet soil while others like dry, well drained soil.  In the US, there are over 100 species.

In Arkansas the goldenrod blooms from July through Sept on average.  This day, today, my bees are packing in pollen, several different shades of color, even though we had 3/4" rain this morning.  Go figure, I would think the pollen would have been washed off the flowers.

I'm sure in your area there will be some, at least some goldenrod, remember some species like moisture.  70 inches is awesome, maybe to awesome, I agree.  However goldenrod is a prolific plant producing lots of both nectar and pollen as you probably already know.

Have you noticed bees bringing in pollen lately???  I would say in my area, N Arkansas, the fall flow has started, judging by my bees packing pollen.
Blessings

I really have not worked my bees in a couple of weeks. I left them a full super of honey this year for a variety of reason's but the two main being wth all the rain I was worried about foraging and just general life business got in the way some also. Things have slowed a bit so I was hoping to get something of a small fall honey crop. Spring was a good spring for us.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 12:59:06 pm »
I would try the fall honey even if it is just a frame for comparison.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 02:41:39 pm »
My I repeat my earlier statement," The bees are not working sunflowers, (or goldenrod) I need more bees and my wife laughed and laughed".  Seriously is this an indication that more bees would not over load the local resources?  This has been a banner year for rain, amount and the way it fell all summer.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 07:08:02 pm by paus »

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 08:37:13 am »
I've been thinking the bees have been working cotton - and they probably are. However I was checking on a goat I thought stuck it's head through the fence and when I went over there I decided to pull some Kudzu vines across the fence for them to munch on. To my surprise the kudzu was still full of blooms, just like it was a couple of weeks ago, not to my surprise the blooms were covered with honeybees.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 10:51:17 pm »
Lots of Golden rod bees still have something else they like better?????????????

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 09:35:18 am »
I've been thinking the bees have been working cotton - and they probably are. However I was checking on a goat I thought stuck it's head through the fence and when I went over there I decided to pull some Kudzu vines across the fence for them to munch on. To my surprise the kudzu was still full of blooms, just like it was a couple of weeks ago, not to my surprise the blooms were covered with honeybees.

Did not know they woudl work Kudzu. Still glad I don't have any near my property though

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 09:36:01 pm »
My bees are working goldenrod and joe pie weed. The joe pie weed is almost done. I can smell the honey 40 feet from the hives, even further with a breeze.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 03:17:56 pm »
My bees are working goldenrod and joe pie weed. The joe pie weed is almost done. I can smell the honey 40 feet from the hives, even further with a breeze.

...and the fall flow moves southward...
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 02:39:48 pm »
I have had Golden Rod blooming for about 6 weeks and no bees working it.  Well this week I really have Golden Rod blooming and in earnest, and I saw the first bees on the blooms this morning.  I have had this place since 50's and never as many Golden Rod as there are this year.  Looking for a fall honey crop.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 06:37:55 pm by paus »

Offline hilltophermit

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 05:47:06 pm »
Around here, Goldenrod generally starts blooming late July but is little worked until September. Very weather dependent. Too wet, too dry poor flow, but in a year like this the bees are working it like mad. Will be around till a couple a frosts kill it.

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 02:10:34 pm »
Bees are hitting it hard here right now
Take a kid fishing !

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 07:28:53 am »
Goldenrod is just starting to bud in my wife's wild area. We noticed it yesterday.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 09:52:54 am »
Golden Rod and Aster have been blooming for a couple of weeks in Eastern NC.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 12:24:07 pm »
It is starting to bloom really good here. If I was not so lazy I might go get me some honey

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 09:50:38 pm »
I didn't realize that bees worked white aster as much as they do. I was walking through my field and they were 5 to 1 on aster compared to the goldenrod right next to it. They may have worked it earlier.

anything