Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Not sure what is going on?  (Read 933 times)

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
Not sure what is going on?
« on: April 30, 2017, 11:10:13 pm »
Yesterday, full inspection.
I see good amount of capped Brood, about 20 Drone cells but no Queen cells, lots of partially filled cells of nectar, don't see any pollen stored although they are returning with pollen sacks full, very little capped Honey,  yesterday was the first day I saw an egg in a cell, but only one. If the Queen should be laying 1000-2000 eggs a day, why don't I see more eggs when doing an inspection?
3 times now doing full A-Z inspection but haven't been able to find the Queen, just my inexperience I guess.
When I see just one egg, I think maybe it was laid by worker not Queen.
When I get to the Frames in the middle where all the activity is and there is still plenty of open cells, shouldn't I bee see more eggs, and larvae, and bees emerging?
I did see many nurse bees with their heads deep into a cell, I assume cleaning it go be used again.
There was room to add another frame, so I added a frame with full sheet of wax foundation and even before that, there is plenty of open cells.

I think I may have a weak Queen, OR MAYBE I am Queenless for some reason.
It is Holiday here today so can't call the bee farm where I got the NUC till tomorrow.
I want to know if they have Queens, what they think, and order my second NUC.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Bruce

Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
Re: Not sure what is going on?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 11:26:40 pm »
You should see eggs in the cells,  i have to get the sun right to see down in the cells..  if you dont have eggs you need a queen.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 11:30:21 pm »
>If the Queen should be laying 1000-2000 eggs a day, why don't I see more eggs when doing an inspection?

That's what she it capable of not what she will actually lay.  She will only lay what the hive can take care of.  A small hive cannot raise as many bees as a larger one.  I don't look for individual eggs, I look for a good pattern of larva and brood in general.  The lack of pollen can contribute to the lack of brood.  They need the pollen to raise bees.  So they are probably raising what brood they can with the available pollen coming in. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 12:48:40 pm »
An experienced queen will only lay as many eggs as the bees can cover. She will only lay eggs if there is food available to feed them. If she lays the eggs and the bees do not think they can support them they will remove them. If your queen was replaced, and she is new, she may not be mated yet.
If your other hives are producing larvae, add a frame from one of them and the bees can correct the problem if they need to.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything