Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I won?t drink wine during a cutout  (Read 3481 times)

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
I won?t drink wine during a cutout
« on: April 20, 2019, 02:15:10 pm »
 :embarassed:
Ok - I could have edited this to not include me dropping my phone and running but HEY, we are all friends here!! This is the poison cutout that I started and told customer to buy a box and I?ll set him a beehive up.
 What you see here is the new box, a nuc that I rubberbanded what I thought was the whole hive into it on 5 frames last Saturday.
I returned today to find no bees in the nuc but dead larvae and unattended capped brood.
I opened up what you see here to find a massive comb I missed. There was so much in the back of the hot tub , I didn?t see or think there would be another area with bees.
They got angry at noon time and I went to my car to take a drink of wine and got STABBED right on the nose !!!
So here?s the video.
I?m going back tonight and complete cutout.
Question- How do I orient long comb on deep frames to keep the bees from being confused - or just break it up and tie it in?
Second question- does anyone spray water or sugar water to keep bees calm or is that just for swarms ?
https://youtu.be/iwTFeHJhpPo
I?ve decided I want to keep these.
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: I won?t drink wine during a cutout
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 02:43:30 pm »
Salty, were you bare foot?  Just a quick glimpse, but I thought I saw bare feet.  Is that right?
Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 02:48:26 pm »
Salty, were you bare foot?  Just a quick glimpse, but I thought I saw bare feet.  Is that right?
Blessings

Yes, yes I was!! Crazy aren?t I??
It?s up to me

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 03:03:56 pm »
That is a funny video, thanks for posting.  Barefoot, you are a brave man.

You probably are aware:  be sure to orenitate the comb properly.  The wax cells are about four degrees tilted upwards.  The cells are not horizontal but slightly tilted upwards so be sure you place the comb  accordingly and excuse me as you are probably aware.  Let us know how the final cutout goes.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 03:10:31 pm »
Always keep the UP SIDE UP.  If the comb is not deep enough to fill the frame I usually place thin wood strip under the comb and twist the rubber bands to hold in place. They seem to attach it quicker to the top  bar, thats my opinion not neccessarily the opinion of bees.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 03:39:23 pm »
That?s a big section, plus what you cut out, wow good luck
Ohh and film so more

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 03:42:04 pm »

You probably are aware:  be sure to orenitate the comb properly.  The wax cells are about four degrees tilted upwards.  The cells are not horizontal but slightly tilted upwards so be sure you place the comb  accordingly and excuse me as you are probably aware.  Let us know how the final cutout goes.

No no no!! I am absolutely UNAWARE!! I go out trying this stuff with no idea!  Give me all the advice I can handle!! I?m applying for a mental disability and see this as a vocation to get /keep me from suicide. I need your and others help.
What about spraying them when they or before I upset them?
It?s up to me

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 04:58:10 pm »
Folks sometimes spray sugar water on a swarm. If the bees are calm, then go about your cutout, if the bees are excited try some smoke.  I would prefer smoke, but again to much smoke upsets the bees.

I would not spray a cutout.  Swarms are sometimes sprayed to prevent bees from flying.  Spraying a cutout full of bees with water can backfire on ya.  Play it by ear as the saying goes, smoke lightly and pay attention, more smoke if needed, smoke your gloves, hive tool and especially your bare feet.

If the bees go on full attack mode, let alone for say half hour and let the bees calm down.  Bees flying all around is normal for a cut out.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 05:53:48 pm »
This brood comb is almost 2 foot long. Do I cut in half?
It?s up to me

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 06:31:55 pm »
Watch some of those on YouTube do cut outs or preferably get an experienced Mentor.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 06:39:49 pm »
Jp the bee man and dirt rooster. I use a black foundation popped  out of frame and then cut to size, then rubber band into place then bobs your uncle. I to use the bees as a stress relief and it works wonders.  Good luck

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 07:56:15 pm »
This brood comb is almost 2 foot long. Do I cut in half?

You will have to cut if the comb is longer than your frame.  I use large rubber bands, 8 inch, to hold the comb to an empty frame.  I put the comb together like a puzzle in the empty frame securing the wax so there is no wiggle.  The bees will quickly secure the comb.  If you don?t have large enough rubber bands, then use cotton rope like the rope used to tie chicken legs together at grocery or: wire, fishing line etc.  The bees will eventually chew through the rubber, even thick rubber bands, but by then the wax will be welded to the frame by the bees.

Best of all good things!!!

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 08:22:37 pm »

Give me all the advice I can handle!!
Advice? Sure, wear some shoes when doing a cut out. 😂

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 11:15:31 pm »
What Mr Van said. Except I have not used the cotton string or fishing line for this particular need. I Use number 64 rubber bands from office max. Have three of four already attached on the ends of your frames, that way you can simply slide them into place once you have your comb cut and placed into the frame. They will cut the rubber bands after a while and you will begin seeing rubber bands in front of your hive where they have been dragging them out. They will not get all but most, this has been my experience.  Also, someone advised watching videos, I second that advise also. I would also advise doing your work in the day, not night.  Also, it is most important to catch the queen if at all possible. I use a simple queen clip. I also leave her in this clip for a day or so inside their new home, before releasing her. The bees don't want to leave her or the brood, which you have rubber-banded in the frames. Good luck and have fun.
Phillip
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 06:45:49 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 11:16:19 pm »
Van,
Where did you get the 4 degree up angle? Every time I have seen this it was 15 degrees.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 11:25:44 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jp+beeman

Best removals you will ever see and I have had the pleasure of watching him live  :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2019, 11:26:57 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jp+beeman

Best removals you will ever see and I have had the pleasure of watching him live  :-D

We sure won't because it says video unavailable!! Haa haa  :wink:  just kidding Kathy. Please try again because if you are that impressed, I sure want to watch!!
Thanks, Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2019, 05:40:08 am »
Same here Kathy.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2019, 06:54:59 am »
Van,
Where did you get the 4 degree up angle? Every time I have seen this it was 15 degrees.
Jim Altmiller

Jim, I watched a video from a fellow who was placing the combs in the frames any ole kind of way. I went back and rewatched to make sure I had not misunderstand the first time. And yes, he placed some of the comb in the frames side ways from where it was angled originally.  I was wondering how this turned out. Will the bees (add lip) to the edges? Is not old black comb hard for them to readjust? Thanks
Phillip

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2019, 12:54:47 pm »
I have seriously screwed this job up but it?s better the bees may leave than get poisoned.
The comb was attached all through the plumbing in crossed, stacks and just a mess. I sat for 30 minutes last night looki g for her. I eventually started tearing out comb and rubber banding - I left the top bleep- eyed on top to let them wander in. This lady needs her back yard to let her dogs out and I?m stuck in the middle of a mess I signed up for. I will go back today and cut the rest out to see if they start going in the box.
There is hardly any comb hanging in the voids.
It?s up to me

anything