Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Goats on a sliding board  (Read 2518 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Goats on a sliding board
« on: August 18, 2013, 01:27:12 pm »
Don't worry about these goats looking skinny. I worm, medicate, feed, and all the right stuff. Some goats just ain't going to get fat.

Here they are goofing around on their rail road crossties.

Checking it out..,

Down we go..,

Made it!

We used to have a see saw for them as well. It was a sawmill rough cut 2x6 about 12 or 14 feet long. In the middle I nailed it to a piece of firewood. The babies would walk up it to the middle, cross over, keep walking up and then that end would go down. The kids would sit there and ponder what just happen. Then they would  turn around, walk up past the middle.., and so on. What would be funny is when three or four would be on one end with one on the high end, then the group at the bottom would take off running somewhere and the high end would quickly come down to the ground.

They also have a beach ball and a barrel to play with.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Goats on a sliding board
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 04:12:44 pm »
you are a good goat parent  :-D

milk, meat, or pets?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 10:53:57 pm »
Pets. We got into them about 8 years ago. We decided that we were going to get the woods cleaned up around our place. My grandfather used to have cows, pigs, chickens, and what ever else. These woods around here were like a park. Then about 30 years went by with no livestock and you couldn't see 10 foot in the woods. Everything you can think of was growing thick. You talk about something doing a good job - that's my goats.

Old folks used to say, "A goat ain't nuthin but something looking for a place to die". Believe it or not, they are a high maintenance animal. My biggest problem to begin with was I was getting goats from everywhere to build my herd. That brought all sorts of diseases, sicknesses, parasites, ect. You talk about someone doing some crunch time studying up - that was me. Now folks come get me when their goats are sick.

This herd I have now is pretty good. I keep a closed herd. Most of them have twins, all are fantastic mothers, and they just don't really get sick that much. I provide some loose minerals for them. The amount of copper it takes to keep a goat healthy (parasite load wise) would kill a sheep. If you were to keep them for a while you would probably keep them the rest of your life. If every thing goes well.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 03:50:03 am »
Nice looking pets GSF!

It is amazing how quickly goats can clear up a jungle of weeds. 

anything