Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeeping Ethics  (Read 11565 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Beekeeping Ethics
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2014, 09:11:14 am »
Shouldn't need it. It's pretty clear in my opinion. Shying away or getting closer to a person or group because of the groups known habits, etc.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Moots

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2014, 09:50:33 am »

If I've learned anything from the posts above, its how much I appreciate 'my' closest neighbors, one a quarter mile, the other a half mile away.  We all know we're there for each other when and if 'anything' arises.  Guess I should consider that a blessing……and do now more than before…..

Yeah, nothing makes for good neighbors like DISTANCE!  :laugh:

THANKS for all the reminders…. :)  Now…..go punch that guy in the face and get it over with (NOT!)……neighbor (?)……... :roll:  What a crowd…….?

Really T Beek, aren't you being just a bit disingenuous?  Wouldn't any "reasonable" person have to agree that there's A LOT of socially acceptable middle ground in between "showering the guy with gifts" and "punching him in the face"???
Yet you want to make it sound like since some of us believe that Edgy shouldn't be busily sweating away his day, in his workshop, pounding out swarm traps to try and win the love, affection, and approval of his new neighbor....Who by the way...just happened to behave like a prick on their first and only encounter...that somehow we're the ones with a problem. REALLY?  :roll:  :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2014, 03:16:25 pm »
A swarm in the the bushes = mine

A swarm in a low tree = mine

A swarm on a low branch = mine

A swarm in the mailbox  = mine

A swarm in a garden shed  = mine

A swarm in a barn  = mine

A swarm on the outside of a house  = mine

A swarm in a swarmbox  = mine

A swarm in the neighbors chimney = not mine

A swarm in the neighbors house inside the walls = not mine

A swarm in the local kindergarten  = not mine

Many states , city's and Towns are relaxing the laws and making beekeeping in urban areas leagal as it should bee!

This is a good thing an positive for the neighborhoods.

If beekeepers let there bees swarm out of Control all over the Place the laws are sooner or later going to bee turned back to the dark ages and it will beecome illegal to keep bees in urban areas!  :police:

Don't let the hives swarm! If they do Catch them beefore they beecome a nuisance to the public!  :police:

BEE a GOOD BEEKEEPER and NEIGHBOR  :angel:

MVH EDWARD  :-P
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:37:58 am by edward »

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2014, 12:15:51 am »
I tell the old sod to suck eggs. don't like what i do with my property. 
call my lawyer then sue me you'll find 50 traps
darn progressives think your land is theirs

relent, let em and you'll be sorry. your under no obligation

zoned as what? 

hes got bees you got bees were equal

jay

Offline HomeSteadDreamer

• House Bee
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2014, 09:40:13 pm »
Well I didn't think after 4 pages there was anything to add..... But..

By your description it seems like he only has one hive.  That maybe the reason for his angst.  If he is a new or not experienced beek then he may have lost hives before (one is especially hard to keep alive) and maybe worried that his will abscond and leave him with none.  A possible solution maybe to offer to help him split his hive or offer him a frame with a queen cell on it.  And of course help him with swarm management.  I know last year to avoid swarms with spilt 2 hives into 5 and I think we still missed a few real late swarms because we went out of town.  But if like most keepers he ends up with hives than he wants he'll probably not be so worried about the traps.  I know I am dreading about a month from now when Mine will need to be split as swarm control.  I'll have to stick some out on my second property 45 minutes away. And I have a friend who wants one. I don't want to post a package for sale on craigslist and I run top bars so I could only 'sell' packages or whole hives and mine are natural cell size so wouldn't work with most foundations.  Just too hard to worry about selling.  Back to point.  Find out how many hives he wants and help him accomplish that within reason and he'll be better off and so will you.  The only condition being that if you have a ton and he also wants a ton I guess it is possible for you to run out of foraging but since in nature there can be lots of hives within the area unless you have poor forage or a lot of competition you'll be just fine.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2014, 01:28:48 am »
it is possible for you to run out of foraging but since in nature there can be lots of hives within the area unless you have poor forage or a lot of competition you'll be just fine.

And what will he bee demanding when this happens?

Will he bee asking, or demanding that you relocate your hives out of "HIS" area?

Stand by your  :jerry: guns  :jerry:

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2014, 11:19:44 am »
Folks, don't turn this into a coffee house post, be forwarned. Those that know what I'm talking about, this is a one time warning.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2014, 09:26:44 pm »
ya  ok turn the cheek. but my traps are my traps

Offline Redbug

• New Bee
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2014, 10:00:12 am »
Or you could move your trap to a place where the neighbor can't see it and if you catch a swarm no one is the wiser...
Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

anything