Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nibbling Bees  (Read 2013 times)

Offline KPF

• New Bee
Nibbling Bees
« on: July 21, 2015, 09:05:57 pm »
Hi Folks:

Can anyone tell me what behavior this is (please see video)? I installed this hive from a package June 6. Queen is laying well, lots of brood, but not much honey.  Lots of dead bees in front of hive, and daily I see healthy bees evicting sick bees. One or more bees on the landing board will nibble and nudge a passive bee until it falls off the board. I think the queen is staying ahead of the bee kill. The hive is growing, though not as fast as I'd like. Queen seems healthy. I have 7 frames built out since June 6 (1 deep).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPrU5fUdZbU
"Sprinkles are for winners."

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
Re: Nibbling Bees
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 10:29:04 pm »
The resolution isn't quite good enough for me to tell for sure, but I would suspect they are kicking out the drones.
Which is normal for around here when the dearth comes on.  What's your location? And could you please put it in your profile, for others?

Offline KPF

• New Bee
Re: Nibbling Bees
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 10:39:18 pm »
Thanks, Maggiesdad. Just modified profile. Location is Weymouth, MA USA, which is south of Boston.

Pretty sure these are not drones. They are same size as bees doing the nibbling. The closest thing I've found that might explain it is hairless or greasy bee virus. Affected bees are nibbled and harassed by healthy bees.
"Sprinkles are for winners."

anything