Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Candy Board Quest  (Read 1658 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Candy Board Quest
« on: March 01, 2007, 03:36:12 pm »
I prepared a candy board using Robo's recipe. My question is ,What consistancy is this board? I think i heated it too much, and it is hard like a brick. I placed inside hive and at first the bees were all over it for about half a day, but since then nothing. Even though its been about 48F in the day the board is still hard like a brick.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Candy Board Quest
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 03:45:12 pm »
>I think i heated it too much, and it is hard like a brick. I placed inside hive and at first the bees were all over it for about half a day, but since then nothing. Even though its been about 48F in the day the board is still hard like a brick.

It sounds normal to me.  I don't use them but I know people who do and I've seen them.  The bees tend to work on it when the condensation in the hive softens it and ignore it the rest of the time.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 09:14:15 pm »
You should be OK.  As Michael mentioned, they like to work it where the condensation has softened it.  You will usually see them working the outside edges or near and entrance.  If you get it too soft, they chew it up and a lot ends up on the bottom board.  I try not to get it as hard as glass, but sometimes it just happens.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 10:23:34 pm »
Hard sugar work for me because it holds in the board better, I think.  They will definitely eat it if they need to, and there's enough moisture.  Several of my hives nearly completed their 15 lbs. sugar board before I removed them last year.

-- Kris

anything