Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Long Langstroth Hive  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
Long Langstroth Hive
« on: February 01, 2020, 05:37:07 pm »
Someone mentioned the long hive in my profile picture.  It is a long Langstroth hive. I built using these plans as a guide.

http://horizontalhive.com/how-to-build/long-langstroth-plans.shtml

So far it?s been nice to work with. Uncovering only a few frames at a time work with. 2019 was the first year of using them. I built two and installed caught swarms in them.

Here is a short slide show.

https://youtu.be/HtLiJESS_xI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Re: Long Langstroth Hive
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 07:18:49 pm »
Kwalt. Greetings. I like the long langstroth you built. Looks nice. I see your hinged long top. I have been considering the idea, but I am not sold on it. In fact I spent 15 minutes today walking Home Depot for ideas. I think I am going to take Jim's suggestion. The thread is down in the "too bar/warre/long lang" category below. Good to meet you. I look forward to hearing how they do.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 07:33:05 pm »
KWalt, great video with captions.  I adore the long hive although I have never seen one up close and personal.  The long hive just makes sense to me, just move partitions to create more space.  A fella could increase one frame at a time or how ever many frames one determined necessary.  Maybe not for commercial beeks, but a hobbyist could benefit.  Again, thanks for taking your time and posting the great video.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 10:47:36 pm »
Thank you for the compliments. I guess I should have posted in the other forum.

Using hives like these gives you the freedom to build to suit your tastes. Build a couple then modify as you see fit.

Kevin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 10:57:19 pm »
Thank you for the compliments. I guess I should have posted in the other forum.

Using hives like these gives you the freedom to build to suit your tastes. Build a couple then modify as you see fit.

Kevin

Kevin I hope we or at least I did not offend you by not commenting. The reason that I did not is because where I live I am alert for the presence of SHB.  Your long does look very nice. But they do allow alot of space, space that may or may not invite SHB. YOu may have addressed this where you live?  I did compliment you on another topic. Titled  Swarm trap distance. I hope that you will stay with us here at THIS forum. You have put out some interesting stuff and I thank you.
Phillip
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 11:56:36 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 11:27:48 pm »
Me getting offended on an Internet forum isn?t likely.  Small hive beetles are in the hives.  The bees keep them cornered. I don?t keep drawn comb in the hive that the bees can?t cover. Small hive beetles don?t have any use for frames of foundation.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 11:30:21 pm »
Me getting offended on an Internet forum isn?t likely.  Small hive beetles are in the hives.  The bees keep them cornered. I don?t keep drawn comb in the hive that the bees can?t cover. Small hive beetles don?t have any use for frames of foundation.

Thanks Kevin, your hive looks nice. I wish you much honey!!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.