Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Goldenrod is here....  (Read 6527 times)

Offline Algonam

• House Bee
Goldenrod is here....
« on: July 30, 2011, 01:15:24 pm »
It seems like I just got started and now Goldenrod is starting to bloom, almost 60 days after starting up the hives.
As general rule, should I expect roughly 1 more month of productivity (once goldenrod starts to bloom?)

On both hives I have added 3rd boxes and as of this morning they are starting on those frames with honey. They are at different stages, as one is much stronger than the other, but both 3rd levels are active.

Oh Canada!

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
Re: Goldenrod is here....
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 02:27:50 pm »
Believe it or not even here in western PA the golden rod has started to bloom .... I think it is very very early for it.....

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 04:11:31 pm »
I have a few blooming right now also, think there are 3 types that grow in my neck of the woods at different times

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 10:05:24 pm »
We won't see it until Labor Day.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 10:05:52 pm »
Wow! Goldenrod blooms here in October!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Bee Brothers Apiary

• New Bee
    • EveryThing Honey Bee, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 12:30:30 am »
Yup..started blooming here a week ago..very very early....this year will certainly go down in history as one of the most challenging...

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 08:44:30 am »
maybe this means a HUGE fall harvest.........

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 08:57:17 am »
All those smelly stinky hives ........................  :)

Offline wadehump

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 11:11:47 am »
2 weeks ago started to see some blooming now we just need wekly showers for a flow

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 12:22:39 pm »
All those smelly stinky hives ........................  :)

But with an undeniably delicious honey!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline kbee

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 03:01:29 pm »
same here been in bloom for about 2 to 3 weeks. what a beautifulen site. got a huge feild next door loaded looks like a sea of yellow :-D just looked up golden rod never new there was so many species
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldenrod

Offline stella

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 11:10:29 pm »
Saw the first goldenrod blooming here yesterday!
“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 01:31:05 am »
I saw some today too along the road side and I thought "no, cant be", to early, I dont like it.  We do have two kinds so I hope the other holds off till later like usual so I dont have to feed me bees in October.  Been so dang hot, has to be the heat that made it pop cause everything has been late if anything.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 12:39:05 pm »
I saw some today too along the road side and I thought "no, cant be", to early, I dont like it.  We do have two kinds so I hope the other holds off till later like usual so I dont have to feed me bees in October.  Been so dang hot, has to be the heat that made it pop cause everything has been late if anything.

Are you sure that might not have been Yellow Top or Butterweed? http://www.google.com/imgres?q=butterweed&hl=en&client=safari&sa=X&rls=en&biw=1919&bih=893&tbm=isch&prmd=ivns&tbnid=S3pFRsmzNWfz6M:&imgrefurl=http://bobklips.com/earlymidjune2008.html&docid=s0ltNmjUt1kA8M&w=640&h=427&ei=Nsg2TozFH6ru0gH5zMiMDA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=1429&vpy=415&dur=369&hovh=182&hovw=272&tx=118&ty=102&page=1&tbnh=135&tbnw=178&start=0&ndsp=49&ved=1t:429,r:27,s:0

...JP

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 01:32:34 pm »
I cant say no with 100% confidence but Im sure it was goldenrod.  I will take a closer look next time I drive that stretch.  I did not notice any in bloom by my yard three miles away yet.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dimmsdale

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 01:54:45 pm »
I'm in Northern West Virginia(Pan handle) and we have had Goldenrod for about 2-3 weeks.  I've been really scratching my head because I keep reading on this forum that it normally blooms in September/October.  I've got some really good, light, almost clear honey on the supers now.  Would you recommend harvesting that honey now and letting them build up for Winter on the goldenrod?  I have had goldenrod honey before and it is tasty, but I'm imagining from it's color, that is is considered a lower grade honey?    Thoughts??

Thanks!

Also, does anyone know about how long the goldenrod flow normally lasts?

Thanks!

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 02:45:18 pm »
Yeah, noticed some blooming yesterday, a few days after basswood was done, which wasn't so good this year likely due to the heat.  We can have Goldenrod blooming well into October but this does seem early.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 02:46:39 pm »
I'm in Northern West Virginia(Pan handle) and we have had Goldenrod for about 2-3 weeks.  I've been really scratching my head because I keep reading on this forum that it normally blooms in September/October.  I've got some really good, light, almost clear honey on the supers now.  Would you recommend harvesting that honey now and letting them build up for Winter on the goldenrod?  I have had goldenrod honey before and it is tasty, but I'm imagining from it's color, that is is considered a lower grade honey?    Thoughts??

Thanks!

Also, does anyone know about how long the goldenrod flow normally lasts?

Thanks!

If your bees are bringing in goldenrod your hives will have a distinct odor about them, very much like "sweaty socks". You can literally smell this from 10-15' away. Up close it will surprise you but the honey is very good.

...JP

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 03:32:43 pm »
Here, the yellow top blooms before our goldenrod does and I havent seen either. Maybe mid to late August for the yellow top.

Offline rgy

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 05:10:55 pm »
jp, last year I had some golden rod honey I think, judging by the smell and it left an after taste like you had licked an old cow barn.  the taste just made me think of the smell of an old cow milking barn.  I thought it was AWFULL.

Just went and checked my hives and I still have a lot of uncapped nectar.  Hope they get it capped soon.  If it is not capped when I harvest what should I do with it?

anything