Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pecans?  (Read 13248 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Pecans?
« on: November 26, 2014, 08:57:15 am »
For those of you who have pecan trees - Did anyone get a crop this year? I bet we didn't get but about 70 pounds off of 10 trees.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Pecans?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 01:10:00 pm »
Gary,
I only a have a couple of small pecan trees. No matter how much the trees produce, we never get any. The squirrels always get them before they are ripe. Just hoping when they are larger, they will out produce the squirrels. I have a neighbor that sits in his back yard where he has a large pecan tree and with a BB gun removes large numbers of the varmints and they still clean him out. He does get some but nothing like he would without the squirrels.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 10:04:22 pm »
I own about 10 mature trees and there is not a single nut. Some years they produce a bumper crop.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 09:11:15 am »
I made very few pecans this year. Last year was light, but not this bad.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 10:20:47 am »
The price nearly killed me but I bought some shelled pecans yesterday.for some pecan pies. $12 per pound, shelled halves.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 10:28:21 am »
I love fresh Pecans cant get enough

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 01:08:39 am »
We generally get a good many, not a lot last year and less this year.  Squirrels got all but a couple of handfuls this year.

Joe

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 11:08:03 pm »
jim, tell your neighbor i have what he needs.....squirrel dog pups.   you can't beat the price because i'm giving them away.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 12:50:24 am »
jim, tell your neighbor i have what he needs.....squirrel dog pups.   you can't beat the price because i'm giving them away.
I will tell him but I doubt if he will take you up on it. He enjoyed the target practice.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 01:17:04 am »
the dog just trees them, he still gets to shoot.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 07:57:55 pm »
Gary,
I discovered 2 wild pecan trees on my property when were building a deck in the woods.
The nuts are rounder than the ones my uncle brought me from Mobile.  Not quite as tasty either.  I picked up a grocery paper bag full, could have picked up many more.  If anyone knows anything about these midwest pecans and how to prepare them let me know.  They are sitting in my garage now.
Joe

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 04:03:04 pm »
Joe, around here we refer to them as "seed" trees. I have a couple that I know is seed trees. Nothing at all wrong with the nut, just not the same looking as the parent tree. My experience has taught me the smaller the better tasting.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 12:51:39 pm »
Seedlings also fetch a higher price on the market. So I am told.................

Steve 

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 01:21:49 pm »
I've heard pecan trees produce a good crop every third year.  Last year I didn't get even one nut.  Squirrels ate what were there while they were still green.  I have two very mature trees (over 100 years old, accoding to an arborist).  I got about 50-75 pounds from them this year.  A storm in early October took out much of the top of one tree, so I lost a lot of immature nuts -- probably half the crop of that tree.  One year I picked up over 250 pounds of nuts, then stopped picking them up 'cause I didn't have any place to put them.  This year I gave away bags of pecans to anybody that would take them (unshelled) and gave about a pound of shelled pecans to our kids and neighbors.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 04:56:50 pm »
These pecans have the husk still on them, they were mostly blown off early.  I have them sitting (still) in the garage on a window screen. 
The taste is still bitter, I thought they were bitter because they weren't mature.
Is there anything else I should be doing or should I feed them to the deer?  Plant them?  Eat?

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 06:01:34 pm »
Yes, they are immature.  When pecans are ready, the husk splits open and the nut falls out.  Even then, it's best to let it dry out a little so the "meat" firms up.  Feed them to wildlife.  They'll never be good to eat.  And they probably won't germinate.  If they did, all you'd have is a throwback to the rootstock on which your variety was grafted.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 11:07:46 am »
Dallas,
Thanks for the info.  Wildlife food it is.
As to your graft comment: 
I'm not sure they are grafted.  I believe they are wild.  Based on their location (hillside) and age 30-40+ years.  There has not been a homestead or farm at this location in over 100 years, maybe longer.  I'd like to know more about them.  If they are wild, will they ever have nuts that taste good?

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 11:38:11 am »
Oh, yeah!  I have found the smaller nuts have more flavor.  But, being hard-shelled, it's a lot more work to get to that flavor.  The real native pecans here in Texas bear nuts about the size of a marble and have a shell so hard you have to use a hammer to break it, but the meat is very tasty.  One pf my trees have nuts that usually breakwhen they fall on a hard surface.  The other has harder-shelled nuts -- not native, but more like native in that respect, but maybe twice the size of a native. 

Unfortunately, pecan wood is very brittle, so it's not used much for furniture.  The trees are messy because they drop long tassles (pollen-bearing) and tiny flowers in the spring, then immature nuts that stain my pool purple, then the nuts and cases that contained the nuts, then leaves.  They are also self-pruning, dropping limbs a good part of the year.  Not an ideal home landscape tree, but many of us love them and they are the state tree of Texas and a couple of other states.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 12:59:55 pm »
Jvalentour,

After thinking about yoir location, etc., I looked up more info on pecans.  We have maybe hundred of varieties in Texas, but it seems that in Indiana it's a bit different.  Varieties there are limited.  For pecans to be productive, most varieties require cross-pollination.  So you have to have two trees in the area, first of all.  Since you have some immature nuts, I assume there's more than one tree.  Some varieties can't mature before cold weather, so you might never get a good crop of nuts.  I'll try to give you a link here.  If the situation is hopeless, pecan-smoked meat is great, so wood chips from fallen or pruned limbs can be useful.  Good luck with your tree

http://www.agriculture.purdue.edu/agcomm/newscolumns/archives/ITG/2011/March/110303ITG.html

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 01:47:16 pm »
Dallas,
Thanks!
Joe

Offline hivebuilder

• New Bee
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 12:05:52 am »
here in northeast ks. we have a tree that looks like a pecan and has round nuts that are similar in construction to a pecan .but --it is a bitternut tree and is not edible by people .

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 01:35:56 am »
wrap aluminum, around the trunk, except for one spot. In that spot push a double edge razor into the bark..... CAREFULLY!   Each afternoon around dinner time...    Pick up squirrels, skin, gut, (gut already started) and place on barby set to GRILL..........
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 10:20:22 am »
wrap aluminum, around the trunk, except for one spot. In that spot push a double edge razor into the bark..... CAREFULLY!   Each afternoon around dinner time...    Pick up squirrels, skin, gut, (gut already started) and place on barby set to GRILL..........

your teasing me. does that work?

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 02:53:19 pm »
works on peach and apple trees. WIll also work on rafters that rats use to travel.
   Squirrels can "jump" upward and clear a couple feet of covered tree if they are chased, but allowed to go up on their own they will take the path of least resistance.  If you ever watch a squirrel climb a tree, they keep their body against the trunk. My best luck with apple trees was pushing the blades in deeply, leaving about 1/4 inch at the bottom and 1/2 inch sticking out at the top. They will see it, but have no way to understand how sharp it is. When they figure it out, its too late, but be warned, it "is" messy.  You also dont want kids etc around that might lean up against the tree, there is some liability involved in using this method. Like setting a mouse trap shotgun for other critters. If PEOPLE step into the trap the repercussions can be ugly.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 06:53:34 pm »
Some of these animal rights people would put you under the jail if caught.  But sounds like a good idea.

Joe

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 07:43:13 pm »
Oh my very favorite pie. Maybe someone will be really really industrious  make 1 for bud 7. Hint, hint. 😃
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 07:32:17 pm »
Never heard of a squirrel pie, Kathy.  But then if he ran over the razor blade a time or two it might be minced meat pie.

A home made pecan pie is hard to beat.

Joe

I haven't heard about Bud 7 yet, haven't got to be here as much the last several months.  Was thinking about giving Bud a holler.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 09:01:05 pm by Joe D »

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 09:19:41 pm »
LOL Joe

pecan pie, not squirrel pie.

although, I'll try anything once.........
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything