Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Monsanto  (Read 15339 times)

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: Monsanto
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2016, 10:42:15 am »
More unsubstantiated chicken little drivel published by a activist organization with no studies to back up the claims.  If there were actually studies showing a direct causal relationship between glyphosate and death there would be lawsuits as far as the eye can see.  Why aren't there?  No proof, no studies, just garbage press released like this waiting for the followers to parrot and the unsuspecting to consume and convert to the cause.  Do I have an inherent trust of chemical companies?  Nope, but I review studies on both sides enough know what's been found so far and to recognize garbage when I see it.  This... is utter garbage.

What'll be ironic is when something serious does actually show up it'll be ignored because this type of fake agenda driven "news" has caused so many to become numb to these sensationalistic claims.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2016, 01:11:11 pm »
One thing that does pop into my mind every once in a while though I don't take much too seriously or investigate much but genetic crops being planted almost exclusively make me think that if something ever comes along that affects that crop adversly would other like crops still be around to pick up the slack.
I don't base this on any fact but it is just something that pops in my brain here and there.
Cheers
gww

There are a number of places (government things like USDA and nonprofit organizations, universities, etc.) that collect and maintain stores of seeds of every plant that can be found anywhere.

If the need arose, supplies of seeds could be ramped up fairly quickly by these places, in cooperation with for-profit seed companies.

I've seen labs where plants ate cloned from tiny leaf cuttings, which are grown into plants in s growth medium, thenl planted and grown to maturity in soil.  Many, if not most, Christmas trees are grown this way, cloning a perfectly shaped tree thousands of times in the lab.  An orchid dealer told me he would buy a prize orchid for thousands of dollars, send it to a lab where they would clone it in this way, then have hundred of cloned orchids to sell for $100 each.

"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2016, 01:12:17 pm »
More unsubstantiated chicken little drivel published by a activist organization with no studies to back up the claims.  If there were actually studies showing a direct causal relationship between glyphosate and death there would be lawsuits as far as the eye can see.  Why aren't there?  No proof, no studies, just garbage press released like this waiting for the followers to parrot and the unsuspecting to consume and convert to the cause.  Do I have an inherent trust of chemical companies?  Nope, but I review studies on both sides enough know what's been found so far and to recognize garbage when I see it.  This... is utter garbage.

What'll be ironic is when something serious does actually show up it'll be ignored because this type of fake agenda driven "news" has caused so many to become numb to these sensationalistic claims.
I hear the Old 'Tobacco Institute' is hiring...   :cheesy:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 01:34:28 pm by flyboy »
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2016, 01:14:51 pm »

There are a number of places (government things like USDA and nonprofit organizations, universities, etc.) that collect and maintain stores of seeds of every plant that can be found anywhere.

If the need arose, supplies of seeds could be ramped up fairly quickly by these places, in cooperation with for-profit seed companies.

I've seen labs where plants ate cloned from tiny leaf cuttings, which are grown into plants in s growth medium, then planted and grown to maturity in soil....
That's interesting. I always wondered if you could somehow grow a plant from a piece of leaf.
Cheers
Al

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2016, 04:31:57 pm »
I hear the Old 'Tobacco Institute' is hiring...

Oh, if was only so easy.  And bottom line there are no reputable (i.e. scientifically based, and repeatable) studies that glyphosate is linked to diddle when used properly.  I'm all ears to new data, but "news" like this insults the intelligence.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2016, 06:32:05 pm »
The really interesting thing is after a certain stage of development, you can see an almost-microscopic plant in the agar agar (I think that's what it's called).  It's rocked back and forth all the time
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2016, 07:35:10 pm »
The really interesting thing is after a certain stage of development, you can see an almost-microscopic plant in the agar agar (I think that's what it's called).  It's rocked back and forth all the time
Fascinating DB.

Years ago a friend of mine who had grown up on a farm used to collect I believe it was willow branches and soak them in water (which was in the sun) for a week or so and then use the resultant water as a root growth stimulant. I believe he said that there was some sort of rhysomes in it, that encouraged roots to form and he would put anything in this water to get it to root.
Cheers
Al

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2016, 07:50:10 pm »
I think I read that willow was used in poltrist (or what ever) and placed on wounds and also chewed and had asperin properties.
cheers
gww

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2016, 08:01:37 pm »
I think I read that willow was used in poltrist (or what ever) and placed on wounds and also chewed and had aspirin properties.
cheers
gww
I had not heard of the poultice part but I knew that the chemist Bayer in Germany years ago had analyzed it chemically and figured out how to make it synthetically (Aspirin).

Years ago when I was tapping birch trees for sap, I started out using willow branches for spouts but had to stop as the orange (salicylic acid) came out in the sap making it uneatable.
Cheers
Al

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2016, 09:13:17 pm »
Fly boy
Heck, I could have been thinking moss on the poltice, My memory is not what it used to be.
Cheers
gww

Offline Tommy

• New Bee

Offline Tommy

• New Bee
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2016, 12:19:52 am »

Offline Tommy

• New Bee

Offline Tommy

• New Bee
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2016, 12:27:07 am »

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2016, 05:59:39 am »

I've seen labs where plants ate cloned from tiny leaf cuttings, which are grown into plants in s growth medium, then planted and grown to maturity in soil....
That's interesting. I always wondered if you could somehow grow a plant from a piece of leaf.

It's called 'micro-propagation' if you should want to look up more info on the web.  I believe you can use coconut milk as a medium.  If you decide to try this, you'll need a scrupulously clean work area to avoid airborne contamination from wild yeasts, bacteria etc.

It may also be relevant to this thread, that the major chemical companies are stockpiling seed-banks.  They say it is to preserve stocks from which to access genetic material in the future, should those plants cease to exist.  This activity can be seen in both positive and negative lights, depending upon one's leaning.

Tommy - I consider your method of posting just a link without including any of your own thoughts or views to be the behaviour of a mindless parrot, or that of an old fish-wife spreading gossip, and to be totally disrespectful towards the membership of this forum.
People here deserve thoughtful personal comment or debate.  That - as I understand it - is the function of chat forums, which are not intended to be simply vehicles for the canvassing of 3rd party articles.

If you should think these articles are particularly important, then I suggest you post them in the REPRINT ARTICLE ARCHIVES sub-forum (which is dedicated to such a purpose), rather than the Main Posting Forum.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2016, 01:53:40 pm »
http://www.naturalnews.com/055987_PCBs_Monsanto_liver_damage.html
Tommy,
I used to work for a hydroelectric facility (largest underground powerhouse in the world) I remember one of the upper management guys going on about the whole thing with PCBs was nonsense, created by the media. It was obviously a waste of time to argue with the guy.
Cheers
Al

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2016, 02:03:14 pm »
http://www.naturalnews.com/055822_Monsanto_Hillary_Clinton_fundraiser_Charles_Burson.html
I love the quote
"Hillary Clinton, known as the Bride of Frankenfood, is a longtime supporter of Monsanto, a corporation whose deceptive tactics of collusion, intimidation and bullying are a perfect fit for the Clinton regime, which even a former FBI official now describes as a criminal operation."
Cheers
Al

Offline Milo

• House Bee
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2016, 02:54:19 am »
What I think about this thread

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2016, 02:37:28 pm »
OK folks,  I have had multiple reports of this topic getting out of hand and have issued 2 warnings to folks in 2 days about personal attacks of others.   We can agree to disagree and keep the conversation civil.  I suggest everyone review the forum bi-laws referencing personal attacks.   Let's all take a deep breathe and relax.  I do not want to lock down this topic, but will if the personal attacks continue.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2016, 06:08:41 pm »
What I think about this thread

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
:wink:
That's a perfect analysis of this thread!
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.