Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: inspection ?  (Read 1963 times)

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
inspection ?
« on: March 05, 2015, 12:03:32 pm »
I had a warm enough day to inspect and add sugar (mount camp method) if needed. One hive had sugar bricks still and could hear them down in bottom box. Next two was on top and bricks were almost gone. They all went into winter with 1 deep and 2 mediums. All weighed around 80 lbs. All have quilts. The 2 on top were clustering on top, even on inner cover. I poured 4lbs bag on each inner cover. How long does 4 lbs last if they are out of honey? Why the difference? They all come from same queen from splitting.

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
Re: inspection ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 02:21:46 pm »
Conventional wisdom used to be that providing artificial warmth caused bees to consume more stores. I'm curious if this is no longer the case. I realize that some insulation might make the difference between life & death in a colony - preventing them from freezing. Is it a double edged sword that also causes them to go through stores more rapidly and risk starvation instead?
The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 02:33:12 pm »
Ideal temperature of a hive in winter is probably 40 F (4 C).  Any warmer and they are too active.  So it's probably a better goal to try for 32 F (0 C) or less but more than  0 F (-18 C).  I'd say 32 F is a good target as a little warmer and a little colder are not going to hurt but you are still a lot warmer than the bitter cold of a cold climate sometimes is.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 03:38:07 pm »
I didn't think that quilt boxes where artificially warming the hive. I don't try to control any temperature. I left the bottom two boxes alone during last month if fall inspections thinking, if they wanted to build cross comb to help divert warm air, but don't know if they think like that like termites for example. Next warm spell, ill throw another box on with pile of sugar directly over frames. I didn't do it last time because the bees were all over the frame and didn't know if separating them with paper would be bad as cold came back, with a foot of snow.

Well, thanks for the information.

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 05:12:52 pm »
It's quite likely that insulation is beneficial anytime the inside of the hive much  below freezing, as Michael says. You are correct - insulation isn't providing artificial heat but, in a way, it does the same thing by conserving the heat the cluster gives off. If you are in an area that typically sees prolonged extreme cold, insulation may well save the colony. Just be sure not to wrap it so tight that there isn't adequate air flow. As MB has also mentioned (elsewhere) - condensation within the hive, from poor ventilation ( & over insulation), may also be detrimental (fatally, in some cases).

I may have insulated a few hives in my early years. I certainly haven't for decades, and we have sub-zero temps just about every winter. Fortunately, along the front range of Colorado, there is seldom a prolonged deep freeze. It frequently warms up nicely (40's & 50's) between storms. I  lose a hive or two or three almost every winter - & maybe insulation would have saved some of them. Were I to re-institute insulating, I'd be sure to provide (small) both lower & upper entrances. This would allow the cluster to act like a small heat/circulation pump - ridding the hive of that nasty condensation.

As always, it depends on your location & what Mother Nature delivers each winter.

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 06:14:12 pm »
Yes, I have both lower and upper entrance. Most club members here say, we don't have to wrap or top insulate because we are not up north. But I really don't think it matters much if temps are -10f for 3 weeks or 3 days.  That is darn cold for 1 hour, so I played on the side of colder regions thinking it would be a better bet. I guess I will have to balance it out better.

Thanks again.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 10:57:03 pm »
Preparing for the worst is always your best bet, if the worst doesnt happen your covered.. if the worst DOES happen, your covered..

I have found that 5 lbs of granulated sugar lasts about 25 to 35 days. When i open the hive there is a Horseshoe shape of remaining sugar..
   I "failed" many of my hives last fall.. we had an over abundance of flowers, and my assumption was that we also had a fantastic flow..  Until i noticed NO activity in one of the nucs.. upon checking it, I found they had starved to death.. In September??
   Checking the rest of my hives showed NO nectar coming in, and most reserves quickly being used.. AT which point I began feeding as hard and fast as i could..   STILL, many hives went into winter with VERY little stores..  so the sugar was on top..  To my great surprise, they are alive..  I did lose about 7 of 40..  MUCH better than i was expecting..   November had a few COLD days, but then we went back into the upper 30's and a few days in the 40's  I had bees flying in mid January. then February rolled in with -20 temps and 40 mph winds..  I checked the sugar on the hives in late January, re stocking any and all hives that needed it.. On February 28th I just popped the tops to check on them and pour in more sugar if necessary.. those completely dependent on the sugar had only a horseshoe shaped rim left, so I refilled at that time..    Looks like were going to have some 60 degree temps by wed or Thurs...  Hoping they can keep gnawing on sugar till the flow starts.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 12:58:42 am »

As all three are of your hives still alive, you must be doing something (or several things) right. I'd much rather put extra feed on an insulated hive than clean out a dead out & buy more bees.

anything