Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Broody Chicken lost her mind  (Read 13695 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Broody Chicken lost her mind
« on: July 25, 2014, 09:48:07 pm »
We had two chickens start setting about 3 days apart. The one hatched her eggs about 3 or 4 days ago. The other one seem to can't remember where she left her eggs. She started on one nest then move next door to the other one. A few days later she was setting on the other side of the first nest. Then she's back and forth between the three. We quit putting eggs under her after about the 4th time. Well we gave her another chance after the other chicks hatched. Well today she left her eggs and is sitting on an empty nest on the other side of the chicken house. go figure. This behavior has been going on for about 4 weeks now.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Broody Chicken lost her mind
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 10:19:40 pm »
Some of them get it.  Some of them don't.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 01:35:35 am »
Fried chicken is sounding better and better?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 08:35:56 am »
What Michael said.
Sounds like she is just ruining a lot of good eggs. I have also had this happen. Time for KFC.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 01:08:18 am »
i was thinking boiled with carrots, celery and dumplings.  how much later in the summer will you let them hatch gary?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 02:09:25 pm »
Lol.  i let one set this year and have one that has been broody for months.  i keep taking the eggs from her and she keeps trying to set on anything that's laid.  every morning i pick her up and toss her on the floor to eat and drink.  then she's back on the nest for the day.  she's got it bad and i wish i knew how to break her of it.

GSF, i'd just keep taking the eggs from her.  i'll be interested to hear from some of the chicken experts if there is a way to break them of this or will they just get over it when the daylight changes?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 05:53:35 pm »
Hey! my hen must have been reading this forum.  this AM when i opened the coop, she shot out with the rest of them.  she was acting (almost) normal.  it's like a switch flipped in her :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline LaurieBee

• House Bee
  • I'm loving bees today. Interested in learning.
Re:
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 02:45:52 am »
I have a hen that has gotten broody this time for the last two years. Last year we let her sit on some fertilized eggs from a friend. She raised them and was done. She's at it again. I wouldn't mind a few more hens but haven't found the fertilized eggs I want. It was a joy watching her raise those chicks. Of course we are easily amused.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re:
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 12:21:04 pm »
I have a hen that has gotten broody this time for the last two years. Last year we let her sit on some fertilized eggs from a friend. She raised them and was done. She's at it again. I wouldn't mind a few more hens but haven't found the fertilized eggs I want. It was a joy watching her raise those chicks. Of course we are easily amused.
Was she free range or caged.
Our free ranged were good at sitting but the minute the chicks hatched they would peep so much the preditors would get them and often times the hens. Our Rhode Island Reds and Americannas in the hen houserarely sit.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 07:53:37 pm »
Lauriebee to bad you are so far away.  i have been selling fertilized eggs this year like crazy. 

I have to keep mine in a fenced and netted yard.  it's pretty big, but no free range.  to many predators around here all the time.

Offline LaurieBee

• House Bee
Re: Re: Broody Chicken lost her mind
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 08:49:52 pm »
We let them range for most of the day. They go back to a completely enclosed pen for the night. We found one dead this morning and another is missing. Not sure what has happened to them. I think it may be a cat we recently aquired. I have one Barred Rock left, my broody hen. They have been great layers with a great disposition.
In this picture this hen is perched on my fiance's foot, as he sat crossed legged in a patio chair after removing his boots.
I now have a strange mixture of hens left; one Road Island Red, one Light Brahma, one Barred Rock, two Americanna, and one Banty rooster we rescued. Were going to wait until spring to get more so we don't have to winter feed them.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 12:46:27 pm »
>it's like a switch flipped in her

Yes, hens have a three way switch:
Regular hen
Broody hen
Mother hen

And the changes seem quite sudden.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 01:52:03 pm »
laurie,
barred chickens don't do well here either.  i'm guessing they're dumb and/or slow.   

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 08:14:41 pm »
Poor thing. She's been setting since the 3rd of July. She ain't setting on nothing either, nor will she stay in the same nest. I hope I find time and remember to put her in a cage with a nest of eggs.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 09:48:26 pm »
Well I made time to put her in the goat transport cage with a nest in a big can. I got everything braced and put about 8 eggs inside of the can after I layed it on its side. When I put her in there she would have nothing to do with that place. All she wanted was to get out and get back to her make believe eggs. After a couple of hours she saw the egg nest in the can. Then a light bulb come on. Now she's setting and grinning from ear to ear.

Offline LaurieBee

• House Bee
Re:
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 11:19:34 pm »
That's what I did with my broody hen last year. I just tucked then I'm under her and she was very happy. We thoroughly enjoyed watching her raise those chicks.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 10:47:49 pm »
Well the saga continues..,

Poor ol gal. She was happy and content with her new nest and surroundings. Yesterday my wife said, it sure looks like a lot of feathers in her
pen. She's okay. So I went out and crawled in the cage and check her out. She's okay, however, the 8 or 10 eggs she had was reduced to 4, today down to 2. I put a fake egg under her. I'm convinced it's a chicken or rat snake that's robbing her out. There's no sign of egg shells anywhere. I've been out there twice tonight but haven't seen anything. A predator usually hunts the hardest a couple of hours before or after dark or daylight. A snake don't go by that rule. I think she's going for the record on the longest broody period.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 12:43:09 am »
put her up high until the babies come.  then pen her somewhere safe. 

Offline LaurieBee

• House Bee
Re:
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 01:56:11 am »
I don't think we've had snake issues but we have had raptors. Mostly owls. I try not to condemn an animal for what it is but I sure get annoyed when the chickens and eggs disappear.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 02:16:57 pm »
 i have had to net my chicken yards for that reason.  i can't leave them running loose because we have to many 4 leg predators, and the hawks and owls are thick.  the net seems to do the trick, but that's a lot of net!   :-D