Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Clearer Boards  (Read 3977 times)

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
Clearer Boards
« on: March 08, 2016, 07:34:26 pm »
So far when we have been extracting, we have pulled honey frames individually and shaken/brushed the bees off. It hasn't been too bad but it's a touch on the tedious side and puts a lot of bees in the air, so we are thinking about getting and using clearer/escape boards. After some pros/cons? I have heard SHB can be a worry when using clearer boards because the honey super is left unprotected by bees. The beetle still have to get up through the whole colony before getting to the super so how much of a worry is this really?

Also, when using one do you put an empty super with frames below the clearer board to give the bees from the super space to move into?

Cheers

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
Re: Clearer Boards
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 09:51:01 pm »
I've been using triangle escape boards for ~20 years, and love them. They will usually clear 2-3 medium supers overnight. There often isn't a single bee left after one cool night. Once in a while they won't abandon a patch of brood ( or the queen!). They wouldn't be as practical for an out yard - requiring 2 trips in two days. And yes - a strong hive might need an empty super below. I find my "3 mediums for overwintering" is usually enough and don't give them an empty. I keep a close eye on the hives when they are on - the least little crack will incite a robbing riot when the guards are gone.
The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 12:46:32 pm »
I have been using fume boards for many years (it is a lot better then smoke which I never use now when gathering honey) A word of caution, do not try to speed things up by using more juice then suggested. It will drive the bees out of the hive and into the air. Using the correct amount will clear a super in about 5 minutes (sometimes two supers.)  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 12:56:18 pm »
Escape boards work great if you do not have SHB. SHB do not like areas where the ground freezes well below the surface. They and their eggs and larvae all die. The only survivors are the ones that over winter in the hive. I have tried escape boards and by the time you get the bees out of the super, the SHB have started to make a mess. I use fume boards and then shake the rest of the bees off.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 05:37:03 pm »
SHB overnight? I really have zero experience with them... thankfully! Apparently our many freezing nights, and soil freezing to a depth of ~36" every winter finally has some advantage.

Before I discovered the triangle escape boards I used the little plastic inserts for IC holes - those might take 2-3 days to evacuate all the bees. With the TEB's - it's usually "on in the afternoon", and the supers are cleared in approximately 18 hours - by mid-morning of the next day.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 01:02:02 am by Colobee »

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 06:17:30 pm »
Escape boards work great if you do not have SHB. SHB do not like areas where the ground freezes well below the surface. They and their eggs and larvae all die. The only survivors are the ones that over winter in the hive. I have tried escape boards and by the time you get the bees out of the super, the SHB have started to make a mess. I use fume boards and then shake the rest of the bees off.
Jim
In Brisbane, Australia so no chance of freezing ever! How rapidly will SHBs be a roblem? We have them but I only ever see 2-3 beetles per inspection. If I placed escape boards one day and extracted the next is there still a significant risk of SHB damage?

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 11:11:22 am »
Phil,     I really don't know. 'Sounds like it can happen fairly quick.

I used to think I'd see a few. Then I looked them up & found they were a kind of beetle that feeds on old & rotting wood.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 12:01:43 pm »
I have pulled honey with fume boards, brought them inside and started extracting the next night and had to return several full frames to the bees for them to clean up because they were starting to be slimed.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Duffydog

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 08:46:07 pm »
I have pulled honey with fume boards, brought them inside and started extracting the next night and had to return several full frames to the bees for them to clean up because they were starting to be slimed.
Jim
What do you mean slimmed? I use fume boards and bring the supers up for extracting? I don't understand slimmed? Could,you explain?
Thanx

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 09:43:03 pm »
Small Hive Beetles are a constant threat here in the south. When their eggs start to hatch the larvae  deficate in the honey and brood. The honey is fowled and it starts dripping. If it gets to bad, the bees will abscond.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 10:28:11 pm »
Jim
What do you mean slimmed? I use fume boards and bring the supers up for extracting? I don't understand slimmed? Could,you explain?
Thanx
Slimed, not slimmed. After the SHBs get to it, it looks slimy

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 10:46:05 pm »
Phil,
The auto correct probably changed it. Sometimes that thing drives me nuts with correcting Beek terms.
Jim
Ben Franklin

anything