Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: BeeFest 2019  (Read 22029 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: BeeFest 2019
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2019, 02:23:34 pm »
I just got back home to WPB.  Jim and his wife put on a heck of a spread just like last year.  It is a shame there are not a whole lot more people taking advantage of this great opportunity.  We learned lots and had a great time.  Where can you go and have a one on one with Michael Bush opening up several hives, asking any stupid question you can think of and learning the why he does what he does?  And the entry fee is zip as in nothing.  Michael said to me I am surprised there are not a lot more people here just to pick on me.  I agree.  Common folks make a plan next year before Jim decides to not do it anymore.
Jim, when I find my process sheet for making mead I will send it to you.  Good luck on all those splits that were made.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2019, 02:56:25 pm »
Sounds like it was great.  It's just too early in the year for me.  April at Buds was pushing it.  Maybe someday...
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2019, 08:05:30 pm »
I just got back home to WPB.  Jim and his wife put on a heck of a spread just like last year.  It is a shame there are not a whole lot more people taking advantage of this great opportunity.  We learned lots and had a great time.  Where can you go and have a one on one with Michael Bush opening up several hives, asking any stupid question you can think of and learning the why he does what he does?  And the entry fee is zip as in nothing.  Michael said to me I am surprised there are not a lot more people here just to pick on me.  I agree.  Common folks make a plan next year before Jim decides to not do it anymore.
Jim, when I find my process sheet for making mead I will send it to you.  Good luck on all those splits that were made.
Thanks Brian. Michael did a great lesson on queen grafting on Friday and we grafted up 6 rows of queen cells. We put 3 of them in a starter hive and 2 in a starter/finisher hive. On Sunday we checked on them. The ones in the starter hive did much better than the ones in the finisher. Matt?s daughter, Madeliene, had the highest number of queen larvae.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2019, 08:46:32 pm »
Sounds like a great time, had some family things going on but it has improved .

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2019, 08:59:35 am »
Beefest was great this year.  It was great last year too.  Good people.  Awesome food and hospitality.  We got into bees every day.  I look forward to next year.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2019, 09:00:16 am »
I am wondering if a later time would have been better.  Having it on spring break and St Patrick's Weekend might have been a conflict for some people.  What does the group think?  It also jams up the hotel/motel availability.  Next year I plan on bringing the camper.
Kathy, having it too  late screws up the time for splits and April might be warm for some northerners.  Just bite the bullet and come.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2019, 10:17:04 am »
The timing for the bees there was great this year.  Unfortunately that varies from year to year, so I think it's impossible to be right all the time. It's hard to eliminate all the conflicts...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2019, 11:41:40 am »
Kathy, having it too  late screws up the time for splits and April might be warm for some northerners.  Just bite the bullet and come.

When hubby retires I might be able to pull it off.  It's just too much to put on him when the weather is so bad and he is working.  The help I used to hire has moved so I need to find a new critter sitter that won't get stuck in the snow   :cheesy:

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2019, 01:45:13 pm »
The timing for the bees there was great this year.  Unfortunately that varies from year to year, so I think it's impossible to be right all the time.

I agree that the year varies but the dates are picked prier to knowing what the year will be like.  Timing splits cannot be early but you can hold them off a week or two.  The difference would be more populous hives if later.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2019, 01:51:15 pm »
I wish I could have been there. Sounds like it was educated and fun. I would love to have met each of you. Life gets in the way. Maybe next year.  :smile:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2019, 04:35:57 pm »
>Maybe next year.

Start planning now...
-------------------

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2019, 09:10:34 pm »
Plan for March 20-21-22, 2020. Those are the dates for BeeFest 2020.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2019, 10:43:55 pm »
>Maybe next year.

Start planning now...

Yes Sir!!  :smile: :grin: :grin: :grin:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2019, 01:36:30 pm »
Here are some pictures that Kent took on Sunday.

Enjoy.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BR7R8t8JhMLUG7cdAATjudjd-dy3GHnb
Jim Altmiller
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 06:53:57 pm by sawdstmakr »
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2019, 06:47:10 pm »
Her are the pictures from Saturday.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OJd4VBYDkOPAeMPEL6fcXkskPfsl5JBv
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2019, 06:51:06 pm »
Here are more pictures from Saturday.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Vn4ZxOYH6clIUjzs9T6ZhhSiHjYfwYbD
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

anything