Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Florida  (Read 3160 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Florida
« on: October 08, 2019, 10:48:45 am »
Made trip down yesterday to PCB. Saw several hives in Alabama. Several signs out on road selling honey. Looks like GR going good down here. I noticed a white flower blooming on the sides of road. Hard to tell looked like buckwheat. Does it grow wild here?  Or was it something else. What other plants y?all got blooming now?  I?ll keep my eye out. Want to see some stuff we don?t have back in KY.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Florida
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 12:26:32 pm »
Nock, you may be seeing Smartweed.  It is in the Buckwheat family only SW likes wet places and I would think there are wet places in Florida It also blooms until frost in NE Texas, Bees love it. The bloom looks a great deal like Buckwheat.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 12:43:06 pm »
Have a major Brazilian Pepper bloom going on here in NE Florida along with some Spanish Needle. The B. Pepper is the last good flow for the year and I leave most of it on the hives for the winter. Haven't spotted any Smart Weed around here but I haven't really looked

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 12:55:53 pm »
I?ll have to look up that pepper.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 06:24:01 pm »
I?ll have to look up that pepper.

Nock check out SteveO on YouTube. He is a Fun character and full of good stuff living in Florida.  He talks highly of BP. Tell him Phillip Hall sent you   lol

Steve's Outdoor World. YouTube
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 09:38:51 pm »
http://www.wildsouthflorida.com/images2017/spanish%20needles%201200.jpg Steve lives a county over from me, he gets his queens from a breeder I know. I don?t have much Brazilian peppers in my area. Are flow ended and is dry right know. The Spanish needle is a nice pollen producer.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 12:12:07 am »
Seen that on way down. ^^^

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 08:45:30 am »
Needle and palmetto still in bloom as people are still picking the cash crop palmetto berries.
I?m seeing tons of dark orange and crystal white pollen coming in.
The Brazilian pepper is in full bloom.
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 09:32:13 am »
Needle and palmetto still in bloom as people are still picking the cash crop palmetto berries.
I?m seeing tons of dark orange and crystal white pollen coming in.
The Brazilian pepper is in full bloom.
I saw some of those berries here yesterday. Wondered if they worked that bloom.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 05:35:13 pm »
In my area my girls work a lot of Palm honey. It has high water content  even capped  I like it better than orange, but every beekeeper likes their honey. I just tasted cotton honey for the first time smooth and buttery

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 09:25:09 pm »
I am envious of all the Florida beeks and their foliage, flowers, but the envy is a good kind of envy.  Not much blooming in my area, Arkansas until March.  Temps in the 30?s next week in my area that I am looking forward to.

A neighbor of mine moved to N. Florida, last May, took his bees with him and easily doubled his honey crop.

Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 03:04:13 am »
Finally, it's cooler than 90*F. We haven't had significant rain in two months, and the US Drought Monitor warns of stage two drought: wells are low, some tree and crop loss.  We're seeing native trees stressed or dying due to drought. The goldenrod is just coming into bloom now - Oct 10. Only half the hives seem to have found something of significant volume to send out many foragers.

Where irrigated, there's lots of activity on plumbago and vitex. From today, two mason bees and a bumble. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 11:10:08 am by FloridaGardener »

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 09:06:58 am »
Must bee goldenrod then.
Lots of orange yellow coming in -
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 09:13:11 am »
A neighbor of mine moved to N. Florida, last May, took his bees with him
Be careful Van it is illegal to do that with out documentation.
Side note: Last week the last of our belongings came down from NY which were my bee boxes.  I had no time to deal with them and just stacked them in the driveway.  Two days later one box is covered in bees.  I thought I had a swarm but it looks like robbers.  Must be a bad dearth down here right now.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2019, 10:12:55 am »
We are in one on my coast

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2019, 10:32:28 am »
Side note: Last week the last of our belongings came down from NY which were my bee boxes.  I had no time to deal with them and just stacked them in the driveway.  Two days later one box is covered in bees.  I thought I had a swarm but it looks like robbers.  Must be a bad dearth down here right now.

I don?t know why Mr Van should be careful of that, most states are allowing illegal aliens to enter their state without proper documentation,  bringing diseases that could be harmful to humans, and are welcome with open arms.  Mr Vans bees are American.  lol  :cheesy:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 11:37:51 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2019, 01:01:13 pm »

Ace you are correct,  my neighbor obtained the proper health certificates and coordination between Arkansas and Florida state bee Inspectors.  Even checked local laws regarding hives in his specific area of Florida.  The inspectors in Florida were very receptive, cooperative.

Phil, you have a very good point: Bees are of concern but foreign nationals don?t seam to arouse local law enforcement.  Ironic, in a word but off subject so I stop.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2019, 01:25:42 pm »

Ace you are correct,  my neighbor obtained the proper health certificates and coordination between Arkansas and Florida state bee Inspectors.  Even checked local laws regarding hives in his specific area of Florida.  The inspectors in Florida were very receptive, cooperative.

Phil, you have a very good point: Bees are of concern but foreign nationals don?t seam to arouse local law enforcement.  Ironic, in a word but off subject so I stop.

Van

Thanks Mr Van, I was kidding with Ace and had no intention of continuing to drift off subject, and you are right, off subject so I stop also on that.  Laws are set into place and are supposed to be for the good of all citizens. Some laws are good and some are not in some folks views.  I think the bee law in Florida is a good one. Along with laws forbidding illegal entry of bees from other countries into the United States are good laws also.  Just my view.
Phillip

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2019, 06:25:26 pm »
my neighbor obtained the proper health certificates and coordination between Arkansas and Florida state bee Inspectors.

Even if I wanted to go through the aggravation of transporting my bees to FL I would never attempt getting the proper paperwork from NY.  I think that would be like camping out at the DMV for a week.  I personally believe local bees are key to success.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2019, 10:29:17 am »
I brought two hives down from Pennsylvania when I moved to Florida. It wasn't any big deal, just had to get them registered and inspected which is what is needed with any hive in Florida. I didn't need any paperwork moving out of Pennsylvania, just needed an on site inspection once set up in Florida.
  Plenty of politics elsewhere, lets keep it about bees here.

anything