Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Using Wood Stain  (Read 2896 times)

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
Using Wood Stain
« on: April 20, 2017, 03:47:06 am »
I prefer to leave my hives with natural wood finish.
I am not able to find Tung Oil or even Linseed oil here in Thailand so I was just going to use latex exterior paint I had leftover but then I see where it is ok to use wood stain.

Before I stain my hives, I just want to double check this is ok and won't have any effect on the bees.
Only on exterior surfaces.
Leave them out in the sun for a week for any fumes to dissipate before using them.

Thanks
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Using Wood Stain
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 08:36:07 am »
Check out Lauri on the other site.  She stains and flash burns them and decorates them like a Harley.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 04:35:45 pm »
Look up  'shou sugi ban',  a Japanese method of scorching wood to preserve it.  It works particularly well with cedar, but will work with any wood.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 10:01:37 am »
The stain has more of a smell, maybe the bees would like it maybe not.
I only stained one box as a test, a week later I can still smell it.
It us outside and in the sun.
The next boxes I just painted with leftover exterior latex.......no shell and much faster with a 4" roller.

Bruce
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 01:23:39 pm »
Captain,
I use exterior latex on all of my supers and boxes. I stack them up as high as I can reach and paint them all at once. A couple of days later and they are ready for use.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 09:57:56 pm »
Captain,
I use exterior latex on all of my supers and boxes. I stack them up as high as I can reach and paint them all at once. A couple of days later and they are ready for use.
Jim

Agreed and that is a great idea.........why didn't I think of that, stack em, and paint them all at once.
That is just another good example of sharing no

Thanks

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 01:04:01 pm »
Captain,
Jim

Agreed and that is a great idea.........why didn't I think of that, stack em, and paint them all at once.
That is just another good example of sharing no

Thanks
Any time.  :happy:
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline brookscj

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 08:23:33 pm »

Captain,
Jim

Stacking and painting all at once.  Why didn't I think of that!  You have just saved me so much time.  Thank you my friend.
"Flowers always make people better, happier, and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul."  Luther Burbank

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 12:10:03 am »
Brooks,
Glad it helped.  :happy:
Jim
Ben Franklin

anything