Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Vacuuming up swarms!! What do you think about this?  (Read 36993 times)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Vacuuming up swarms!! What do you think about this?
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 08:27:26 pm »
ok i think i was over thinking this, that just sits on top of the super and the gals are just sucked right into their new home?

That is correct. It works great.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 09:49:55 pm »
Yeah Sometimes I need things explained like I am 2 years old..... but then I get it LOL

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 02:54:38 am »
I have never vacuumed a swarm.  I usually don't shake the branch...I just snip it off.  So far no one complained about my trimming their trees/bushes.  I usually don't charge them for the trimming  :-D
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 01:09:50 pm »
Got a swarm call last night and the guy estimated it was only 14 ft which I have a 12 ft A-frame ladder I can reach them no prob.
Got there and it was 20+ ft!!! I was there anyways so I thought I give it a try. It was a night, a big mistake for the high up tough swarm removals.
Anyways, had to run home to get the bee vac with all the extensions that I have. Sucked up a good amount but I don't like using the bee vac on swarms if I don't have to.
With bushes or trees, I find it difficult to vac them as there are branches and leaves in the way unless you use a small nose nozzle. Plus, I like to catch the queen.

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 01:33:40 pm »
When just out of Reach you need to try this
I did and it works great

just for fun
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 01:52:39 pm »
Yeah, I've seen this and I'm still looking for one of those water jugs!
Might have to just pony up to buy one!

Offline bristopen

• New Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 03:00:04 pm »
This is barbaric, man!

LOL

But real fast and efficient at the same time!

I'll try it as soon as I can!

Thanks JP!

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2011, 12:15:06 am »
I have used the vacuum several times this year and it has worked great.  There seems to always be a few deaths but not very many.
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline preston39

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2011, 01:40:08 am »
ok i think i was over thinking this, that just sits on top of the super and the gals are just sucked right into their new home?

=========
Would there be a benefit of placing a ...oh..1/2 to 1" cotton sheet in the bottom to less'n the impact of landing? Or would the bees get tanglerd up in it adversly because of arriving in all types of configurations?
I'm  Preston

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2011, 07:56:33 am »
Yeah, I've seen this and I'm still looking for one of those water jugs!
Might have to just pony up to buy one!
The guy I do cutout with has a plumb fitting screwed to the bottom of a 5 gal pail
I think its a 1+1/2 pipe that fits it. The fitting is a female with a strap molded into it
I'll try and get a picture or the type of fitting it is.

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2022, 11:55:59 am »
If they are vacuumed in the daytime there will be bees left behind. That is a fact. Sometimes more sometimes less. As so with any shake. Any others will be trying to get to the queen at the exhaust of the vacuum. I simply face them as well... I have found this is also a way to know when the queen has been vacuumed..

Vacuuming may be quicker but certainly not as much fun.

...JP

> If they are vacuumed in the daytime there will be bees left behind. That is a fact.

I have had some good experiences vacuuming swarms. I haven't had that trouble in my experience but instead had some good  success vacuuming swarms, leaving almost 'none' behind. It takes a little bit but any straggles will come right back to the spot where the queen was last. What I do is put the end of the hose at that spot with the vacuum still running, (where the cluster was before vacuuming), for about 5 minutes after the bulk has been vacuumed, and the last few will usually get sucked in as they search for the queen.

> Vacuuming may be quicker but certainly not as much fun.

I enjoy doing it the old way as well, but the fun depends on where they are located.. lol  :wink:

Phillip
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 01:22:17 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2022, 01:28:04 am »
If they are vacuumed in the daytime there will be bees left behind. That is a fact. Sometimes more sometimes less. As so with any shake. Any others will be trying to get to the queen at the exhaust of the vacuum. I simply face them as well... I have found this is also a way to know when the queen has been vacuumed..

Vacuuming may be quicker but certainly not as much fun.

...JP

> If they are vacuumed in the daytime there will be bees left behind. That is a fact.

I have had some good experiences vacuuming swarms. I haven't had that trouble in my experience but instead had some good  success vacuuming swarms, leaving almost 'none' behind. It takes a little bit but any straggles will come right back to the spot where the queen was last. What I do is put the end of the hose at that spot with the vacuum still running, (where the cluster was before vacuuming), for about 5 minutes after the bulk has been vacuumed, and the last few will usually get sucked in as they search for the queen.

> Vacuuming may be quicker but certainly not as much fun.

I enjoy doing it the old way as well, but the fun depends on where they are located.. lol  :wink:

Phillip

Adding:
Something else I leaned about vacuuming swarms. Once the queen has been vacuumed, a few flyers will smell the queen from the 'vac exhaust'. They will fly around, attempting too reach the queen in this turbulence exhaust air. The vac exhaust will toss these too and fro.  This is a good way to know the queen has been vacuumed from the cluster and in the vac box. The bees flying at the exhaust area of the vac, are the last ones I vacuum. Job done!!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything