ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Another chicken question

<< < (2/6) > >>

jayj200:
slip in a new one or two
they been cooped up for the winter don't know where they came from maye be they hatched

kingd:
I have a few old girls,not laying much anymore but had one that was 5 and would go broody all the time.
We let her raise babies and was a good mom,I would get eggs from friends and neighbors to bring in new blood.

Ben Framed:
When I was a boy we stopped at an 'egg house' that had a sign 'chickens for sale'. White Leghorns I assume. They were white and laid white eggs (all of our other chickens laid brown eggs). The folks there were culling the ones they considered to old for their program. We bought 6, took them home and turned them out with the 'gang'. After a bit or R & R they once again began laying and were laying machines! We had them quite a while and were always good layers.

Phillip

Acebird:
The more they produce the quicker they parish.  As was stated production farms usually cull in two years.  I am sure they go to animal feed.  After all farming is a business.  So no keeping pets.

Ben Framed:
> After all farming is a business.  So no keeping pets.

Absolutely. Efficiency is a must, just as in commercial beekeeping, the cattle business, etc.

Phillip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version