Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees from egg to emerging.  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Bees from egg to emerging.
« on: May 18, 2018, 12:09:13 am »
Anyone know of a video that shows the specific time lapse of the egg, to the larva, to being capped? A daily update with clear visibility?  Michale Bush, perhaps you have you made such a video? Thanks in advance! Phillip Hall,
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Bees from egg to emerging.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 06:55:06 am »
Here is a National Geographic video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6mJ7e5YmnE
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 12:55:12 pm »
Here is a National Geographic video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6mJ7e5YmnE
Jim

Thanks Jim, that is indeed a good video but not quite what I was looking for. I am more looking for a day to day (time laps) which shows the day to day progress (growth), I am becoming interested in grafting and know that it's important to choose the youngest larva. I had watched this video and several others but , at the time of the post had drawn a blank. I did however find one later last night that fit the bill ... Thank you Jim for your response.... Sincery Phillip Hall
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 01:22:59 pm »
The easiest way to get the best larvae to graft is to put a new comb in the center of the brood nest, then check it regularly for eggs.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 01:48:50 pm »
The easiest way to get the best larvae to graft is to put a new comb in the center of the brood nest, then check it regularly for eggs.

Thanks AR Beekeeper.. Good sound advise I appreciate it!!

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 10:00:31 am »
"I did however find one later last night that fit the bill"
Well Phillip, do not keep it a secret.  :grin:

jimmy

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 05:16:49 pm »
"I did however find one later last night that fit the bill"
Well Phillip, do not keep it a secret.  :grin:

This is it. It told and showed me what I needed to know. The most clear video that I have see on grafting, shows which larva to choose etc!  Enjoy jimineycricket!!
This is the title on YouTube..

Grafting Honey Bee Larvae for Queen Rearing
Devan Rawn20,660 views

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 06:08:32 pm »
Benframed, Mr. Hall; I looked at the video {Grafting Honey Bee Larvae for Queen Rearing}

That larva looked to me to be 48+ hours post hatch.  That is very questionable.

I use a JZBC tool, the larva I graft is smaller than the lip on the tool.  In the video, the larva grafted on the Chinese grafting tool was huge, almost the width of the lip that extends from the tool.

The younger the larva, the better the queen.  This is the best tip I can give you:  When you think the larva is to tiny to graft, to tiny to see, that is the best age,,,only hours old.

Yes, that fella in the video probably has good grafting success, with such large larva my grandmother could.  But put my hours old larva against his 48 hrs Old larva and compare mature queens.  My queens would blow his queens away with eggs laid.

The larva I graft is so small, I must use a stereo microscope 8X to pick up and to place larva.  I have to up the size, of the larva {older} if I use a jewelers head set.  Now a fella with perfect eyesite could use a jewelers set just fine.

The larva should be translucent, not quite big enough to make a perfect {C}.

Remember, older larva is easier to work, much easier, but the younger the larva, the better the queen.  Some fellas use cell punch, an egg, I can?t find any fault, it works.  I prefer to graft myself, just personal preference, both methods work.  The end result is young as possible larva.
Blessings

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 07:58:08 pm »
Benframed, Mr. Hall; I looked at the video {Grafting Honey Bee Larvae for Queen Rearing}

That larva looked to me to be 48+ hours post hatch.  That is very questionable.

I use a JZBC tool, the larva I graft is smaller than the lip on the tool.  In the video, the larva grafted on the Chinese grafting tool was huge, almost the width of the lip that extends from the tool.

The younger the larva, the better the queen.  This is the best tip I can give you:  When you think the larva is to tiny to graft, to tiny to see, that is the best age,,,only hours old.

Yes, that fella in the video probably has good grafting success, with such large larva my grandmother could.  But put my hours old larva against his 48 hrs Old larva and compare mature queens.  My queens would blow his queens away with eggs laid.

The larva I graft is so small, I must use a stereo microscope 8X to pick up and to place larva.  I have to up the size, of the larva {older} if I use a jewelers head set.  Now a fella with perfect eyesite could use a jewelers set just fine.

The larva should be translucent, not quite big enough to make a perfect {C}.

Remember, older larva is easier to work, much easier, but the younger the larva, the better the queen.  Some fellas use cell punch, an egg, I can?t find any fault, it works.  I prefer to graft myself, just personal preference, both methods work.  The end result is young as possible larva.
Blessings

Mr Van, I just want to thank you so much for your guidance in this matter!!  I would have went on to follow the video and would have missed out on the quality of queens that I would desire! Just yesterday I placed an order for the prober equipment to pursue this very purpose!  I am glad that you are on this forum as you have continued to guide me in the right direction once again.. Thanks, and God Bless you my friend!  Sincerely, Phillip Hall

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 10:01:54 pm »
Thank you for the kind words, may you be Blessed as well.
Blessings

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 02:50:32 am »
I just put a brown color drawn comb in the middle of the brood nest.  Then temporarily take out all the cap
brood frames into another queen less hive.  The queen will lay half of the frame in one day.  Next I will transfer
this eggs frame into a cell builder hive without the cap broods.   Should be able to see some QCs in 3 or 4 days.