BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Can i move frames from bottom brood box to top?

(1/6) > >>

OhMyBees:
Hi. Me again.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question yesterday where I was worried I replaced frames in the wrong order after an inspection.

I currently have a deep brood box and a medium brood box on top. My deep is pretty full (except one frame that they refuse to draw out). My second brood box has drawn comb on every frame, but so far the bees are only filling it with nectar. The queen hasn't started laying eggs up there yet. Since my bottom box has really full frames, to the edges...some even with capped honey, I'm worried that they're getting too cramped there in the bottom. Does the queen know she can go up and lay eggs up in the second brood box? I'm just not wanting them to get too cramped...;.i think I have irrational anxiety of swarming. I'm worried the queen won't lay in the second brood box and then it'll just be full of nectar and honey and then there won't be any more room to grow. Does that happen? Should I move a brood frame up into the second brood box to encourage the queen to go up there?

I'll be adding a honey super today, given that we now have drawn comb in all frames of the second brood box. :)

thanks for all help here!

Ben Framed:
> I currently have a deep brood box and a medium brood box on top. My deep is pretty full (except one frame that they refuse to draw out).

Full of what? Brood, larva and eggs? A couple frames of honey/pollen maybe?

iddee:
I would add the next box between the two, and let the existing medium be the honey super. The queen will move up when she needs to if there is empty space for her.

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: iddee on June 11, 2021, 10:32:32 am ---I would add the next box between the two, and let the existing medium be the honey super. The queen will move up when she needs to if there is empty space for her.

--- End quote ---

That was going to be my next suggestion. Adding to that suggestion of placing a deep box with foundation between the two. Keeping the brood area consistent in size. That way brood frames will be the same size as well,  for future purposes. Which can really come in handy in the future.

BeeMaster2:
I would not worry about the queen not having enough room. You have a deep box fully drawn. That is all most queens really need. If she needed more space she would move up. The bees decide where she is to lay her eggs. If she needed the medium the bees would prep an area and she would fill it. She only lays where they prep.
I would move the un drawn frame into the middle of the brood. They will then draw it out and the queen will use it.
Jim Altmiller

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version