Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbee first year  (Read 2958 times)

Offline quietmorning

• New Bee
  • 1st Year Beek
Newbee first year
« on: February 18, 2021, 07:26:34 pm »
Hello, I'm getting my first Nuc in March and will get another in April.  This has been a long planned for, patiently waited process - and as all things, it didn't go exactly as planned, but it's going exactly as it should go. 

I am starting out in 2 Langstroth Hives, but I have 4 Slovenian AZ hives and 2 Layen hives waiting for me to mature as a beekeeper.  I've wanted to keep bees since I was 4 - we skipped a generation, but there is beekeeping in my family - (grandfather, great grandfather) and I want to bring it back for my grandchildren and for myself.  I'm finally there - and now all I can think about is how many years do I have before I can't any longer - and wishing I started in my teens, instead.   :cheesy:

My son is also interested in beekeeping - so I hope to let him gain experience with my hives until he is able to have his own.

Otherwise, nice to meet you.  I'm a Tennessian - and currently we are under about 6 inches of snow and ice that we haven't seen in a good decade. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Newbee first year
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 07:39:56 pm »

Hello, I'm getting my first Nuc in March and will get another in April.  This has been a long planned for, patiently waited process - and as all things, it didn't go exactly as planned, but it's going exactly as it should go. 

I am starting out in 2 Langstroth Hives, but I have 4 Slovenian AZ hives and 2 Layen hives waiting for me to mature as a beekeeper.  I've wanted to keep bees since I was 4 - we skipped a generation, but there is beekeeping in my family - (grandfather, great grandfather) and I want to bring it back for my grandchildren and for myself.  I'm finally there - and now all I can think about is how many years do I have before I can't any longer - and wishing I started in my teens, instead.   :cheesy:

My son is also interested in beekeeping - so I hope to let him gain experience with my hives until he is able to have his own.

Otherwise, nice to meet you.  I'm a Tennessian - and currently we are under about 6 inches of snow and ice that we haven't seen in a good decade. 

quietmorning Welcome to beekeeping and welcome to beemaster. I have a similar story, My Uncle kept bees when I was younger and like you, I had always wanted my own. I think you will enjoy your membership here. It is good that your son is also interested. A great way to spend family time in my opinion. Have you been reading here for any period of time? Again welcome.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline quietmorning

• New Bee
  • 1st Year Beek
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 07:49:41 pm »
Hi, Ben Framed - I actually just found this forum while looking for an extractor for my layens hives.  I do read more on forums that post - unless I'm asking questions.  I have a long way to go before I can suggest anything to any one. :)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 07:56:22 pm »
Hi, Ben Framed - I actually just found this forum while looking for an extractor for my layens hives.  I do read more on forums that post - unless I'm asking questions.  I have a long way to go before I can suggest anything to any one. :)

> I have a long way to go before I can suggest anything to any one. :)

Me too, lol. I don't suggest much as compared to the questions I ask.  You will find a lot of really good information here and good people to match. There are all levels of beekeeping experience here.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 08:04:25 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
We enjoy answering your questions.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 08:45:18 pm »
Welcome, quietmorning!   :happy:

I am starting out in 2 Langstroth Hives, but I have 4 Slovenian AZ hives and 2 Layen hives waiting for me to mature as a beekeeper.
The Slovenian and Layens hives are really unique.  I particularly think those Slovenian sheds are really cool.  Do you have four individual sheds, or a shed with the capability to house 4 hives?  What made you want to go this route with your equipment? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 09:18:16 pm »
Welcome  :happy:

Offline quietmorning

• New Bee
  • 1st Year Beek
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 09:24:24 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
We enjoy answering your questions.
Jim Altmiller

Thank you, Jim - I look forward to getting to know everyone.  :happy:

Offline quietmorning

• New Bee
  • 1st Year Beek
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 09:34:15 pm »
Welcome, quietmorning!   :happy:

I am starting out in 2 Langstroth Hives, but I have 4 Slovenian AZ hives and 2 Layen hives waiting for me to mature as a beekeeper.
The Slovenian and Layens hives are really unique.  I particularly think those Slovenian sheds are really cool.  Do you have four individual sheds, or a shed with the capability to house 4 hives?  What made you want to go this route with your equipment?

Hubby is currently building a bee 'hut' - a miniature Slovenian Bee house.  It will hold 4 three level hives and 2 nucs.  The original plan was to build a bee house to hold 8 hives and 4 nucs - but then COVID hit and he didn't want anyone out on the property until things calmed down a lot.  So - it's now in the plans for next year.   :wink:

I broke my back and three places and my neck when I was in my early 20's. Surgery got me out of the wheel chair, but lifting and standing for long periods of time is difficult.  Thank goodness my mentor is showing me how to manage the Lanstroth hives without needing to lift the boxes. The Lanstroth hives - unless I find that they are easily managed - will be donated to my church for the children to learn beekeeping. (After a year or two and I'm able to start my other hives.)

Offline quietmorning

• New Bee
  • 1st Year Beek
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 09:40:41 pm »

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 10:00:04 pm »
Aloha Quietmorning and welcome. 

6? of snow for you...well that?s frustrating. No snow here but I?m under 6? of rain or so this week, lol. My wife and I always laugh on sunny days after a rain that the bees are smiling as they leave the hive. Hopefully yours will be smiling soon. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 10:01:48 pm »
All the ? symbols are due to a glitch between the Tapatalk forum app and the host software...please pardon them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 10:45:31 pm »
Hubby is currently building a bee 'hut' - a miniature Slovenian Bee house.  It will hold 4 three level hives and 2 nucs.  The original plan was to build a bee house to hold 8 hives and 4 nucs - but then COVID hit and he didn't want anyone out on the property until things calmed down a lot.  So - it's now in the plans for next year.   :wink:

I broke my back and three places and my neck when I was in my early 20's. Surgery got me out of the wheel chair, but lifting and standing for long periods of time is difficult.  Thank goodness my mentor is showing me how to manage the Lanstroth hives without needing to lift the boxes. The Lanstroth hives - unless I find that they are easily managed - will be donated to my church for the children to learn beekeeping. (After a year or two and I'm able to start my other hives.)
It sounds like the Layens and the Slovenian house will work well for you.  It will be interesting to hear from you about managing those different hives in the future.  The Langstroths can certainly be hard on the back.  How are you working the Langs without lifting any boxes?  Do you have a rig to lift them for you?  Also, it sounds like you have an awesome church!  :grin:       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 08:56:07 am »
Welcome to the forum. It's a great place to get answers. The best I have found.