ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > GARDENING AROUND THE HOUSE

Help in the garden

<< < (7/7)

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Seeb on August 19, 2020, 06:33:00 pm ---I pick them small for some things. A neighbor wanted me to try a different way of preparing: I had to borrow her microwave steamer, little water in the bottom, cut okra right below the stem, and microwave 1 - 2 minutes. Believe it or not, it was tender, and not slimy at all. I'll cut them a tad longer when I dill pickle them. I rarely fry okra [usually roast in the oven], but when I do, I pick them small and fry them whole, again cutting the stem off.

--- End quote ---
I love okra so much that my mom never gets a chance to actually prepare it, because I just eat it raw off the plant too fast.  She might have grown enough this year that I'll finally let someone else have one.  :cheesy:         

Seeb:
I love it raw too, and when I steamed them, it was almost as good as raw

Acebird:
Okra is a plant you don't see much in the north.  The only way I have had it was battered and deep fried in my younger years while working in the south.

Seeb:
deep fried is popular for sure. Now that you are in the south, maybe you can try it several ways. To me, battered and deep fried, though good, hides the favor of okra.

Acebird:
I think it is an acquired taste like kale and spinach.  Which probably means it is good for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version