ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > GARDENING AROUND THE HOUSE

Help in the garden

<< < (3/7) > >>

Acebird:
He, he, he, you what a laugh?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/85DbKJnFXUKsVQZB9
My wife is experimenting.
In southern FL if the plant can survive the climate you grind up rubbish and throw the seeds over you left shoulder and you have a garden.  Some plants can be grown twice in a year.  I think the issue might be a lot of critters like what you plant.

Acebird:

--- Quote from: Seeb on May 27, 2020, 09:41:26 am ---Ace - I have a planter, but it's about 35 years old and I've always found it more aggravating than helpful.

--- End quote ---
Being an engineer for so long I like to build machines and tinker.  Aggravation is part of the fun.  The fact that it might take longer using the machine is no deterrent.  One of the first things I bought after we got the house is a tractor.  My wife is fully on board with a tractor.  She has seen the back breaking work it can do.  She doesn't like me planting with it because she claims it is her fun to plant by hand.  So up north we had two gardens, hers and mine.  Mine didn't have a weed in it.  Towards the end of the season hers looked like a wild flower meadow.  One year we caned 74 quarts of tomato sauce not just tomatoes.  Sauce is comfort food and we had long winters up there.  I grew the potatoes, onions, garlic, corn, and buck wheat for the bees.  Half of it would rot in the basement by April.  There is only two of us.  It is all about the fun of gardening. :smile:

Seeb:
I had a tractor when I had a 22 acre farm, and loved it [especially bush-hogging]. Wish I had one now, but with an acre of land . . . my pride and joy now is a BCS walk-behind tractor with a rear tine tiller that does a very impressive job https://www.bcsamerica.com/products/tractors.
It's just me, so once everything starts coming in, I have to let a lot of the weeding go so I can can and freeze, etc, so I guess my late garden is more in line with your wife's garden.
My aggravation with the planter is it will go about 4 rotations without planting a seed, then drop 4 or 5 seed for awhile - and I end up having to do too much bending to straighten it out.  I just plant my little post at each end of the garden, turn my hoe upside down and make a run post to post - go back and drop the seed, then cover - it takes about 5 minutes per row.  Then the little post keep my garden hose from running over plants when I water.
Looks like you plant indeterminate tomatoes. I do both, mostly heirloom Cherokee Purple, Brandywine.  I always planted buckwheat for the bees too, and interestingly enough, the deer preferred the buckwheat to my garden vegetables.

Acebird:

--- Quote from: Seeb on May 28, 2020, 11:23:08 am ---My aggravation with the planter is it will go about 4 rotations without planting a seed, then drop 4 or 5 seed for awhile - and I end up having to do too much bending to straighten it out.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, same with mine.  I guess there is too much variation in the seeds to use the cupped wheel method.  I have done a heck of a lot of automation in my time handling all different kinds of parts if I actually needed the planter I would have modified it to increase it's reliability.  We had 8 acres before and now we have 1.25 a very big house 3 car garage and trees everywhere so I am never going to have a garden that needs a planter. (and the wife forbids it)  I would love to redesign the planter so it works right and sell it to someone that needs it.  I know I could make it work but my selling skills are zilch.

Acebird:

--- Quote from: Seeb on May 28, 2020, 11:23:08 am ---I had a tractor when I had a 22 acre farm, and loved it [especially bush-hogging]. Wish I had one now, but with an acre of land . . . my pride and joy now is a BCS

--- End quote ---
I looked high and low for a two wheeled tractor (no tiller) and they just aren't used in this country any more.  So I made one out of a rusted out snow blower.  It was my pride and joy for weeding between the rows but the hard dry clay in the hot summer made it a work out.  So I took the implement that I made and mounted it to a riding mower.  I used the mechanism for lowering the mower deck to raise and lower the implement.  That was the creme de la creme.
Two wheeled version:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QQrwKXghdt9xSwiu6

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version