BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DOWN UNDER BEEKEEPING

Buying honey distributors

<< < (5/7) > >>

omnimirage:
I have people who walk away and don't buy products off me because I'm selling it at $11 a kilo, 1 more than the standard cheap price of $10 a kilo.

220:
Im selling  at $8.20/500g and $15.20/1kg in plastic bottles and tubs locally.
I decided on a base price of $10/kg for my honey and then triple my packaging costs to cover jars labels etc and my time and effort to package it for retail sale.  Customers get a bit of a discount buying the bigger tubs but I still get the same price/kg.
Locally what is in the jars seems to be more important to customers than the packaging so long as the packaging looks professional.  Many seem to like the fact the plastic jars and tubs have anti tamper lids.

I am looking at selling at farmers markets in Sydney down the track, my brother does 4 per week and currently employs half a dozen people to help him out on stalls. We will reassess pricing and packaging when I start selling through him.
With the market he sells in it seems to be very much a case of price being irrelevant, customers either want the product and are prepared to pay the price if it meets their expectations. Their expectations arent just about the quality of the product but knowing the farm it came from who produced it, how it was produced etc.
Rain today but I will spend half a day tomorrow picking blackberries out of the paddock to send to Sydney. Last year I was picking 50-100 125g tubs for half a days work. He was retailing them for $9 a tub and would sell out the first market, customers loved the fact they were wild grown and not farmed.

I guess the point Im making is you need to find a selling point for your honey other than price. If your trying to compete with supermarket prices then you might as well take the $4-5kg wholesale price. When you cost in the packing and labour expenses for retail sale, $9-10/kg wont give you any additional profit.

Sydney guy:

--- Quote from: 220 on January 26, 2018, 06:17:41 pm ---Im selling  at $8.20/500g and $15.20/1kg in plastic bottles and tubs locally.
I decided on a base price of $10/kg for my honey and then triple my packaging costs to cover jars labels etc and my time and effort to package it for retail sale.  Customers get a bit of a discount buying the bigger tubs but I still get the same price/kg.
Locally what is in the jars seems to be more important to customers than the packaging so long as the packaging looks professional.  Many seem to like the fact the plastic jars and tubs have anti tamper lids.

I am looking at selling at farmers markets in Sydney down the track, my brother does 4 per week and currently employs half a dozen people to help him out on stalls. We will reassess pricing and packaging when I start selling through him.
With the market he sells in it seems to be very much a case of price being irrelevant, customers either want the product and are prepared to pay the price if it meets their expectations. Their expectations arent just about the quality of the product but knowing the farm it came from who produced it, how it was produced etc.
Rain today but I will spend half a day tomorrow picking blackberries out of the paddock to send to Sydney. Last year I was picking 50-100 125g tubs for half a days work. He was retailing them for $9 a tub and would sell out the first market, customers loved the fact they were wild grown and not farmed.

I guess the point Im making is you need to find a selling point for your honey other than price. If your trying to compete with supermarket prices then you might as well take the $4-5kg wholesale price. When you cost in the packing and labour expenses for retail sale, $9-10/kg wont give you any additional profit.

--- End quote ---
Spot on mate, I wouldn't even bother for $10 a kg and my bees are just for a hobby.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

omnimirage:
The local market that I've been selling at already has people selling raw honey at decent prices, I figure I'm competing against them and a few are beekeepers who sell at $10 a kilo. I feel the only real advantage that I have over them is my products are packaged in better looking containers. It does come out to be a lot of input for only a little made at the end of it. Maybe I'm selling at the wrong market but I'm struggling to find a good place to sell. Maybe I can learn to present myself better and then be able to sell my stuff for a little more.

max2:
I can remember selling honey for 50c/lb!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version