Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Junk yard swarm removal.  (Read 2323 times)

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Junk yard swarm removal.
« on: May 20, 2018, 12:56:19 am »
While I was doing a cutout this afternoon I received a call from the same junkyard that I removed a small bunch of bees from last year.  The swarm had actually left. Not this time. Yea.
Look under the right side of the hood of the red truck. It is a large swarm. I will be putting it in a 2 medium hive with one of the boxes full of drawn frames.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKRrfV3fUvk

Almost all of the bees went into the box. I closed it up right away and then put it into the truck. I will be going back tomorrow to vacuum up the rest of the bees.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Dustymunky

• New Bee
Re: Junk yard swarm removal.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 01:37:10 am »
Perfect setup. Slam the hood and hit the road!

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 05:42:55 am »
 :cheesy:
A couple of bees must have been hurt because 2 of them stung me on my right hand. I walked away from them for a couple of minutes and then they were calm as can 🐝.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 09:09:07 am »
:cheesy:
A couple of bees must have been hurt because 2 of them stung me on my right hand.
After you got stung did you put a glove on that hand?  That is when I wear gloves to cover up the pheromone from the sting.  I also think it is interesting that you are not protected but they choose to sting your hand.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 01:30:44 pm »
Ace, I have only used gloves, other than my first year, once and that was for removing honey from a very mean hive. I only had to do that once. Once I started using the 10 minute/30 second smoke rule even they calmed down.
In this case I just rubbed the smell off and kept on working. They were very calm.
I just came back from the salvage yard. I vacuumed the rest of the bees up. I will weigh them shortly but I think I got another 2 pounds of bees. They were also very calm even though they were queen less all night
I put the main swarm in a their hive box this morning. They had built a 6? by 3? piece of comb and the queen lauded some eggs in it already.
Jim
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 04:23:44 pm by sawdstmakr »
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 03:16:45 pm »
Awesome!
Brian Cardinal
Just do it