Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Brrrr, its cold  (Read 4769 times)

Offline incognito

• House Bee
Brrrr, its cold
« on: November 13, 2019, 10:28:09 pm »
Well, cold for here anyway.
It is 22 degrees outside and I cannot help but wonder if I did everything I should have to get the bees ready for the next few months.
When the cold snap breaks I have to go in and remove old Apivar strips installed in September and improve the insulation on top and improve the ventilation. Maybe I'll wrap the hives with a bee cozy.
On Monday I removed the top feeder. I have been giving them 2:1 syrup from time to time this fall. It looks like they had stopped taking it on Monday. Earlier they were moving a gallon of syrup within a day. Would leaving the empty top feeder on help with condensation control? Could I fill it with moisture absorbing material for the winter months?
I have 1 inch of foam insulation between the inner and telescoping covers. There is a gap in the insulation to let air out. I also plan on putting a notch on the bottom side of the inner cover rim to give them a top entrance.
Tom

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Brrrr, its cold
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 06:25:34 am »
It's 23 here right now and I'm 550 miles south of you.

You can build or buy a quilt board for extra insulation and absorbency.

https://beezneedz.com/product-category/quilt-board/
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 02:54:59 pm »
Your having a heat wave compared to my ares, low teens.
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 05:05:07 pm »
Your having a heat wave compared to my ares, low teens.
Van

22 degrees is below average, but within an expected range, for a mid winter day in these parts.
We get the benefit of a moderating effect from the nearby ocean.

I am surprised to see little chatter about the arctic blast and bees on the forum.
Tom

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 07:12:38 pm »
You can build or buy a quilt board for extra insulation and absorbency.
I have moisture quilts on all my hives during the winter.  I take a shallow super and drill some vent holes in it, and then use #8 hardware cloth to divide the super in half horizontally and to cover the vent holes.  Then I put an inch or so of pine shavings in the top half of the super, and I have a couple inches of room in the bottom half to put in some sugar bricks if the hives need them.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 06:00:31 pm »
We finally got a seasonal day today. The temperature was around 50 degrees and sunny. The bees were somewhat clustered between the deep and medium brood boxes. There were some bees in the honey super. They were a few bees flying before I went into the hive. Lots flying by the time I finished my visit.

Feel free to critique my winter set up or offer opinions / suggestions.

I removed Apivar strips installed in mid-September, removed an unoccupied bottom deep brood box, cleaned the bottom board, put a 7/8 by 5/16 notch on the underside of the inner cover for ventilation (facing forward on the same side as the lower opening), put an inch and a half shim above that filled with insulating foam and another inch of insulating foam on the underside of the telescoping cover on top of that. Previously I put a thin 1/4 inch layer of insulating foam below the bottom board and set the lower opening to the smallest setting (opening up). The hive configuration is a deep brood box on the bottom, a medium brood box in the middle and a medium honey super on the top.

I have not yet committed to installing a quilt box. I will likely wrap the hive with a bee cozy.

I did not pull any frames for inspection or resource evaluation nor did I do a post treatment mite count. The colony size appears strong. Stores were good a month ago. I kept the hive inversely stacked and covered with the inner cover to minimize heat loss as I quickly did my manipulations.

What minimum temperature do I need to pull a frame to do a post treatment mite count? Is it too late in the fall to do a mite count or follow up treatment? It will be lower to mid 50 degrees next week.

The removed deep brood box has resources in it. Fully drawn comb. 2 half frames of capped honey/syrup. Pollen / bee bread. Stored uncapped syrup. How do I take advantage of those resources and store them without a freezer? (I have the moth crystals to protect the comb over winter storage.)

There were 10 to 20 old dark capped brood cells in the removed brood box. The caps had holes in them. I picked out a few dead nearly formed bees. One cell was a bit gooey - tan / light brown goo. I left the rest alone for possible inspection by a more experienced beekeeper.

Do I keep the bottom entrance as is, reduce it further or close it completely? If I close it completely, how long do I keep it open until the bees get accustomed to the new upper opening? (The upper entrance was being used right away.)

Tom

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 08:41:55 am »

The removed deep brood box has resources in it. Fully drawn comb. 2 half frames of capped honey/syrup. Pollen / bee bread. Stored uncapped syrup. How do I take advantage of those resources and store them without a freezer? (I have the moth crystals to protect the comb over winter storage.)
Why did you take these resources away from the colony?  Moth crystals are deadly to bees.

Do I keep the bottom entrance as is, reduce it further or close it completely? If I close it completely, how long do I keep it open until the bees get accustomed to the new upper opening? (The upper entrance was being used right away.)
Doesn't matter but now it not the time to mess with the hive.  Check stores at the end of Feb on a warm day.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 10:45:19 am »
Why did you take these resources away from the colony?  Moth crystals are deadly to bees.
To reduce the amount of space the bees need to keep warm and protect.
I have para-moth for the stored drawn comb.
Tom

Offline Dimas

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 12:25:50 pm »
Hey. In Ukraine, frost is -11 and wind. Bees winter in the street :happy:

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 01:30:26 pm »
@Dimas, Northern regions need Ukrainian bees then! 

Here in the Florida panhandle, we still have flying weather.  They are working hard, not sleeping in the nest.  :cheesy:
Only one month to Winter Solstice and bee build up!  But it will dip below freezing and be 40 degrees daytime in December/January.

@15thMember - thanks for the great idea for a multipurpose quilt box!

Offline Dimas

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 01:40:26 pm »
@Dimas, Northern regions need Ukrainian bees then! 

FloridaGardener, I have a local Ukrainian steppe bee. She lives well in winter. 3-5 months does not fly.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 02:32:52 pm »
@15thMember - thanks for the great idea for a multipurpose quilt box!
You're welcome!  I don't remember who it was, but somebody else on this forum came up with the idea.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 03:12:04 pm »
Hey. In Ukraine, frost is -11 and wind. Bees winter in the street :happy:

Цитую вас
Гей. В Україні мороз -11 та вітер. Бджоли зимують на вулиці: щасливо:

У ваших перекладах написано, що в Україні живе, де взимку їздять машини.
Радий, що вас тут, у крамниці.
Філліп Холл
Tsytuyu vas
Hey. V Ukrayini moroz -11 ta viter. Bdzholy zymuyutʹ na vulytsi: shchaslyvo:

U vashykh perekladakh napysano, shcho v Ukrayini zhyve, de vzymku yizdyatʹ mashyny.
Radyy, shcho vas tut, u kramnytsi.
Fillip Kholl
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Dimas

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 03:51:21 pm »
I won?t write any more messages. I don?t know English, Google translator translates poorly.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 04:17:09 pm »
I won?t write any more messages. I don?t know English, Google translator translates poorly.

No please do not give up, I am glad to have you here. This is an international forum. Sometimes google does not translate properly what one is meaning to say. Please continue. 
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Dimas

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2019, 04:27:01 pm »

No please do not give up, I am glad to have you here. This is an international forum. Sometimes google does not translate properly what one is meaning to say. Please continue.
Thank you! I will learn English :wink:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2019, 04:32:54 pm »

Thank you! I will learn English :wink:

Thank you also. I need to brush up on my Ukrainian.  :wink:

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 04:38:55 pm »
It translates well enough that we can get what you mean perfectly well...and...I see a lot of Facebook posts by natural born English speakers that is, oops, are far harder to figure out!!!

Barry

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2019, 04:51:51 pm »
It translates well enough that we can get what you mean perfectly well...and...I see a lot of Facebook posts by natural born English speakers that is, oops, are far harder to figure out!!!

Barry

Sent you a PM

Offline Dimas

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2019, 05:03:29 pm »
There was a frost in Ukraine, I wanted to connect bees. So that they did not notice me, he put on a camouflage hat. But it did not help  :cheesy: humor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efh3bvssUBw           

В Украине было холодно в ноябре, я хотел соединить слабые пчелосемьи. Чтобы они меня не заметили, надел маскировочную шапку. Но это не помогло )))

anything