ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Hammerhead Worm

<< < (2/2)

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on November 13, 2022, 03:43:07 pm ---Thanks Member. Being one source of its diet is earthworms, do you know offhand if it is something earthworm farmers should be concerned about? Do you know where this worm originated or how it got here?

Phillip

--- End quote ---
I would think they could certainly damage a vermiculture operation.  I believe most hammerhead worms are native to SE Asia, and it's believed they were accidentally imported to the US in shipments of exotic plants.  They are not a new invasive, at least not in my area of the country, where they have been reported since the 1950s. 

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: The15thMember on November 13, 2022, 06:38:53 pm ---
--- Quote from: Ben Framed on November 13, 2022, 03:43:07 pm ---Thanks Member. Being one source of its diet is earthworms, do you know offhand if it is something earthworm farmers should be concerned about? Do you know where this worm originated or how it got here?

Phillip

--- End quote ---
I would think they could certainly damage a vermiculture operation.  I believe most hammerhead worms are native to SE Asia, and it's believed they were accidentally imported to the US in shipments of exotic plants.  They are not a new invasive, at least not in my area of the country, where they have been reported since the 1950s. 

--- End quote ---

Thanks Member

Michael Bush:
I've never seen one nor heard of them.  Thanks for the picture and the description.

salvo:
Hi Folks,

I first saw them at my house, in a city, in the early 90's. Single family neighborhood. Everyone regularly bought plants of foreign origin. I took some of those eels to a local college. None of the science people were familiar with it.

From the internet, I've since learned what 15 has said.

BTW: Earthworms are invasive to the Canadian forests. Very, very bad for the ecosystems.

I think I've read posts, maybe here, about those "jumping worms". Well, they're on my property here, and their numbers are increasing. There go the night crawlers!

The worms crawl in. The worms crawl out....

Sal 

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: salvo on November 17, 2022, 10:16:43 am ---BTW: Earthworms are invasive to the Canadian forests. Very, very bad for the ecosystems.

--- End quote ---
Interesting, I didn't know that.  I guess it makes sense though that in some of those far northern ecosystems they wouldn't naturally be present.  A lot of our earthworms down here in the south aren't native either, but since we do have native earthworms, the non-native earthworms aren't really any serious trouble. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version