ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Small hive beetle in worm farms/ compost

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ben Framed:
You might be right Brian, and if so, it might also be an avenue aiding their spread all over the world. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Phillip

Jim134:
    You have 2 major crops in New England... Where Commercial Beekeepers coming to.  Blueberries in Maine And also cranberries... In Massachusett. This takes thousands of hives to do these 2 crops.
 This has been going on for about 35 years... I personally don't see nothing new about it.. As well as there are many nuc's colonies . As well as package bees..Come from the South..

BEE HAPPY  Jim134  😊

Ben Framed:
Thanks Jim, I love blueberries. Blueberries plain, blueberry pancakes, blueberry pie, blueberries mixed with strawberries and whip cream etc.  lol...

Phillip

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: Lesgold on October 29, 2022, 03:51:08 am ---No problems for the worms. They just seemed to help break down the fruit. My issue was the huge number of beetles in the bins.

--- End quote ---

I can understand that issue being a problem since you are a beekeeper. Good to know no effect on the worm end of it. Before I kept bees there was a lady who raised McCall birds as well as other exotic birds within a couple miles of my home. She fed a lot of fruit to the birds! She had a special place for compost and decaying fruit was a major ingredient as her birds ate a lot of fruit. I bet she had tons of SHB...

Phillip

Lesgold:
I fed my worm farms yesterday. Not a single hive beetle. They obviously don?t like coffee grounds.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version