ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Homemade BBQ Lump Charcoal

<< < (2/5) > >>

Michael Bush:
When I was in Afghanistan we would make pizza using charcoal, a slab of stone and a cover.  The local charcoal looked just like what you're making.  No "briquettes", just wood that had been turned into charcoal.  We didn't make our own charcoal.

Lesgold:
The pizzas would have been magnificent. I have used my charcoal to cook pizza a couple of times as well. It is an excellent heat source for that type of cooking. I have never liked the idea of the commercial briquettes due to the chemicals used in their manufacture. I make briquettes from the smaller pieces of charcoal that are not used on the BBQ. The charcoal is broken down almost to a powder and mixed with a flour glue, sawdust, a bit of lime and some powdered clay to produce a moist mixture that can be pressed into a briquette shape. Next time I make some, I will get some photos of the process.

Michael Bush:
>The pizzas would have been magnificent.

They certainly seemed that way to me, but anything that tasted of home was great.  The first 8 months I was there I ate British food cooked by Sri Lankans.  I lost 20 pounds.  The next two years it was American food cooked by Afghans.  Our own pizza cooked by us (Americans) was a treat for sure.  The slightly Smokey flavor from the charcoal gave it a nice effect.  My avatar actually has KIAA (Kabul International Airport) in the background.

Lesgold:
Hi Folks,

I just posted a YouTube clip on how I produce the charcoal. The smaller charcoal will be made into briquettes and there will also be some turned into biochar for the garden. Hope you enjoy the video.

Cheers

Les

https://youtu.be/Vr6i08of-CE

Bill Murray:
I used to make mine more or less like phillip. Now I have succumbed to buying it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version