BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > CRAFTING CORNER

Birthday Candles

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ben Framed:
The15thMember

--- Quote ---What!  You've never had a beeswax candle?!  :shocked:  What are you waiting for?!  They are the best candles ever!  :grin:  They smell wonderful, like the warm sweet smell of an open hive.  If properly made they burn without dripping or smoking, and they actually purify the air.  With very few exceptions they are the highest quality candles available and have been for centuries.  I now have 4 silicone molds: a spiral taper, a Christmas pillar, a gnome-shaped mold, and the birthday candles, and I'm planning on purchasing more.  I love making and using beewax candles, they are one of my favorite by-products of the hive.   
--- End quote ---

No I have not but he degree of your enthusiasm for your candle making and burning is obvious! I have read about beeswax candles, and discussed beeswax candles here at beemaster with some of you. During one of those discussions I went into the archives here and found and posted an older reply from Brian D Bray for your pleasure during one of these beeswax candle discussions.

Though I'm not Catholic, from what I understand the Catholic Church use to burn pure beeswax candles. So no, I have not experienced beeswax candle burning. I have yet to make beeswax candles though I was on the verge and interested a while back, but I put it on the back burner of my things to do list. With your renewed post and enthusiasm, I 'might' once again put wax burning via candle back on the 'to try list'. 😊

Phillip

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on March 28, 2022, 12:08:09 pm ---No I have not but he degree of your enthusiasm for your candle making and burning is obvious! I have read about beeswax candles, and discussed beeswax candles here at beemaster with some of you. During one of those discussions I went into the archives here and found and posted an older reply from Brian D Bray for your pleasure during one of these beeswax candle discussions.

Though I'm not Catholic, from what I understand the Catholic Church use to burn pure beeswax candles. So no, I have not experienced beeswax candle burning. I have yet to make beeswax candles though I was on the verge and interested a while back, but I put it on the back burner of my things to do list. With your renewed post and enthusiasm, I 'might' once again put wax burning via candle back on the 'to try list'. 😊

Phillip

--- End quote ---
It's true.  The Catholic church has used beeswax candles for the majority of their history.  It's a reason why many monks were beekeepers in medieval times.  The church preferred beeswax candles not only for their quality, but because the wax made by the virgin workers was symbolic of the virgin Mary. 

I never experienced beeswax candles before becoming a beekeeper, but it was something I always knew I wanted to make from my wax.  I started out making tealights, which are EXTREMELY easy to make.  You just purchase the cups and pre-assembled wicks, then melt, strain, and pour the wax.  My family uses a lot of candles around Christmastime, so that's been my major focus until the birthday candles.  My sister wants me to experiment with scenting the candles, but I have to say, I love the smell of the natural beeswax so much that I'm hesitant to use any fragrance!  :grin:  You totally need to give it a try, Phillip.  You don't know what you are missing out on! 

Ben Framed:
The15thMember

--- Quote ---You totally need to give it a try, Phillip.  You don't know what you are missing out on!
--- End quote ---

With such a passionate plea, how can I reiset! We use candles at Christmas too! I am with you about the fragrances. We can get that at Yankee Candle. You have sold me on making a few!
Thanks Reagan. 😊

Phillip

BeeMaster2:
One of the main reasons for using beeswax candles it it does not produce any harmful smoke. The only byproduct is carbon dioxide and water vapor.
Jim Altmiller

The15thMember:
Here are the candles I made for Christmas last year.  I was not happy with how they burned, so I purchased wicking from a different company for the birthday candles, and so far I'm much happier with it.  I will probably purchase from them from now on. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version