BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DOWN UNDER BEEKEEPING

Extraction tips & aggressive bees

(1/3) > >>

Sindirt:
Hi all
Couple of queries to improve my beekpeeing skills...

First is in relation to honey extraction. I currently use a capping scratcher to remove the comb cappings prior to extraction. I do this over the extractor and then do a fairly coarse strain before putting the honey into drums. Thereafter I eventually double strain the honey. However I am finding that the honey becomes very hard to strain when i eventually get around to doing with with the honey in the drums.  The course strain is fine but the fine strainer becomes clogged very easily and the honey has an almost creamy texture- is this due to the presence of the wax scratchings dissolving for want of a better word and making the honey more viscous? Any tips on how to improve this process? I have tried an electric knife for removing wax cappings but haven't been too effective with this due to the unevenness of the face of the capped honey comb- opening some cells but missing others that are set in further? Any tips for improved extraction and straining efficiencies gratefully received!

The other question relates to bee aggression. I have a couple of hives , believe the queen has mated with wild drones and now these hives are really challenging to work with- used smoke and I have a really good triple layer mesh full suit but the bees get so aggressive its quite intimidating to work with and invariably I get stung in weak points eg where the gloves meet the suit or boots meet the suit etc- I'd say I'm pretty calm during handling but I have limited time to work with the hive before they go ballistic which makes inspections problematic. I haven't been able to get to the brood box for some time and god knows how I could locate the queen to replace! Thoughts/tips?

Ben Framed:
Hi Sindirt,
I do not worry about straining as I am extracting. When the 5 gallon buckets are full I simply sit them aside for a day and all the wax and impurities will float to the top. Then simply use a strainer to skim off the top..

I use a couple of things when uncapping which was recommended to me by several members here last year and I use them in conjunction. I will post a picture of both, though the second picture has wooden handles.

Ben Framed:

Ben Framed:

--- Quote ---The other question relates to bee aggression. I have a couple of hives , believe the queen has mated with wild drones and now these hives are really challenging to work with- used smoke and I have a really good triple layer mesh full suit but the bees get so aggressive its quite intimidating to work with and invariably I get stung in weak points eg where the gloves meet the suit or boots meet the suit etc- I'd say I'm pretty calm during handling but I have limited time to work with the hive before they go ballistic which makes inspections problematic. I haven't been able to get to the brood box for some time and god knows how I could locate the queen to replace! Thoughts/tips?
--- End quote ---

If I feel the need such as in the beginning of a cutout situation, I will wear a Jacket. Really, with a good three layer breathable suit bees shouldn't be able to get in. Around the glove wrist area the elastic can become weak. What I do is use a number 64 rubber band around the sleeve in this area to re-enforce the elastic with the gloves tucked nicely within. I will also use 9 Mil black mechanic gloves in conjunction. This pretty well takes care of that area. Also when wearing a three layer breathable jacket, I will add an elastic belt to the bottom of the jacket area and this does the trick as well.

Phillip

Jim134:

--- Quote from: Sindirt on February 01, 2022, 09:55:10 pm ---

The other question relates to bee aggression. I have a couple of hives , believe the queen has mated with wild drones and now these hives are really challenging to work with- used smoke and I have a really good triple layer mesh full suit but the bees get so aggressive its quite intimidating to work with and invariably I get stung in weak points eg where the gloves meet the suit or boots meet the suit etc- I'd say I'm pretty calm during handling but I have limited time to work with the hive before they go ballistic which makes inspections problematic. I haven't been able to get to the brood box for some time and god knows how I could locate the queen to replace! Thoughts/tips?

--- End quote ---

For me personally get rid of the bees... There are aggression..

BEE HAPPY  Jim134    :smile:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version