BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DOWN UNDER BEEKEEPING

Placing hives on windy hills

(1/2) > >>

Mike_Macheti:
I'm pretty new to beekeeping.
One site I have found, which I think may be good, is on the side of a macca plantation. The other side has native eucalypts. The property owner has water tanks there and the site could get a little windy as the far side of the property drops down into a gorge. The area is slightly mountanous - approaching the NSW side of the border ranges.
Anyway, I'm guessing bee would have to be affected by strong wind, but to what extent?
 I'd be grateful for any insights.
  Cheers,
 Mike

NigelP:
Depends on whether constantly windy. If so bees will still fly but require more energy to do so, usually resulting in lower yields. This was what I found on some of our Yorkshire Heather moors. One I used was near an escarpment edge and was always windy and yields where very poor compared to hives kept on a lower, more sheltered, moor about 2 miles away. I  don't use the "windy" moor anymore.

Mike_Macheti:
Cheers Nigel.
No, it's not constantly windy at all. So maybe they'll do OK there.
I like the place so perhaps I'll just have to hope the bees like it too, and give it a try.
I have another site, better protected, nearby so if they don't do well I suppose I'll just move there there.
Thanks for your reply.
Mike

Lesgold:
Hi Mike,

Sounds like you have a good place to run a few hives. Try to find a spot that is protected from the cold winds and gets good morning sun. Your bees will thank you for it in the long run.

Cheers

Les

Ben Framed:

--- Quote ---Try to find a spot that is protected from the cold winds and gets good morning sun. Your bees will thank you for it in the long run

--- End quote ---

That is good advice Les. I have learned that after cooler nights, the bees which entrance face the early morning sun will be up and going before the ones whose entrance face a direction away from the sun, even though the hives may be next door neighbors and the sun may be hitting both hives equally.

Phillip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version