ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Digging a Shallow Well

<< < (2/3) > >>

.30WCF:
Simple she says. Lol.
It is simple, I did get winded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gww:
I am impressed but just watching had it figured out you probably got winded.  Still, I love what you did and it impresses me.
Cheers
gww

Acebird:

--- Quote from: .30WCF on December 06, 2021, 12:40:37 am ---I bet you have a few more rocks than I do though.

--- End quote ---
Good job but like you say not possible in all soil conditions.  Any reason why you just didn't drive a point?

.30WCF:

--- Quote from: Acebird on December 06, 2021, 08:41:57 am ---
--- Quote from: .30WCF on December 06, 2021, 12:40:37 am ---I bet you have a few more rocks than I do though.

--- End quote ---
Good job but like you say not possible in all soil conditions.  Any reason why you just didn't drive a point?

--- End quote ---
About 5 years ago I did. I hit something about 15 feet down and couldn?t get any farther. It has water in the pipe, but I never could draw it up.
That pitcher pump was sitting under the shed all this time and the leather went bad. I cut some new leather yesterday and replaced it. When I had it apart I discovered they they had misaligned the flapper in the bottom of the pump. I cut new leather and put it in right. I should give that old well point a try.
At that depth, it is white clay and sand layers mixed. I may not have a steady enough supply of water for the well point. With the dug well I have a 4 inch pipe casing it all. The bottom 10 feet has a lot of slots cut in it to allow water in. I should have a reserve of water sitting in the case to draw from.
I went out this morning and pumped 5 gallons out, no problem, without needing to reprime first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeeMaster2:
Nice job.
I have dug three shallow wells. The first one I used 2 garden hoses and went down about 30 feet. The last 2 I used a 1 1/4? hand screw wood drill bit and 1 1/4? pipe to go through 8? of clay the first time and 15 feet of clay the second time. Below the clay is 60? of water saturated sand. I stopped both right below the clay. Then you have to pump it out to make a dome under the clay. They still pick up a lot of sand.
Jim Altmiller

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version