ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

bear fence for the bee's

<< < (2/3) > >>

ibeecanadian:
i realy like the idea of the solar power. what is low impedience? do you still need the power box thing that the battery is hooked up to, or do you just hook the battery up to the solar box? sounds like a great idea eather way.

Horns Pure Honey:
wouldnt it take a strong amout of electricity to burn through the grass? I have one that when stuff falls on it it turns the spot black but I have never left anything on it long enough to see if it will burn through it. bye

ibeecanadian:
i just use whipper-snippers for the grass, fast and works great.

pumpkinpiper:
a solar fencer generally has a built in battery for reserve power. Without sun, you still get a few days of "zapping" power. The "low impedience" deals with how the jolt is regulated I believe. The fencer does'nt actually "burn" the grass away(never heard of one starting a fire), but with low impedience, the grass that does happen to touch it won't "short" out the fencer. Mann Lake carries a couple models I believe, but you'll save some good money buy purchasing from your local farm supply. Another option you may look into(if your bee area isn't to big) is to take lumber(I like 1x4's) and punch them full of 2" nails. Lay these around your hive area say 3 or 4 boards wide as a bear deterent. I use these around mine, and also around our food caches when I guided in Alaska. You may get a bear to step on them once, but not twice. It's alot cheaper than buying a fencer,posts,fence and time. Steve

firetool:
Get a fence charger from a farm supply store in your area you will pay less for it and there are better ones out their than the one Mann Lake carees. You want to look at the amount of joules it puts out. The greater the joules the harder it hits. Above all though you need to make sure it is grounded wheal. the better grounded it is the hard it will hit.

I use three 6 foot ground rods all connected to each other and I drive all but about four inches into the ground. We are drier down here so you might not need as much, But it can't hurt.

Don't forgett to unplug the charger becouse they hurt when you have a good one. Mine has killed birds that have landed and the nutral wire then touched the hot wire. I run five wires tree hot and two that are grounded out. It keeps the goats in very well.

If I can be of any more help just ask. I worked for a farm and ranch store and sold fence chargers.

Good Luck,

Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version