Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: feeding honey to bees  (Read 16869 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
feeding honey to bees
« on: December 17, 2010, 06:00:09 pm »
I have read that feeding honey to bees can spread AFB.  Some people do and that is our intention as well but could someone explain how feeding the bees the honey that they would eat themselves spreads AFB?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

bigbearomaha

Re: feeding honey to bees
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 06:15:17 pm »
eating honey form other hives can do that.  feeding honey back from same hive is usually considered safer.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 06:21:32 pm »
OK, I will buy that.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 09:10:34 pm »
In my opinion the object is to LEAVE them honey, not feed them honey... that said I'm sure honey is better than sugar.  If you know the source of the honey (i.e. it's yours) then I wouldn't worry so much about it, but still the best thing is to LEAVE them enough.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 11:19:27 am »
but still the best thing is to LEAVE them enough.

Yeah, and the question still remains how much is that?  I have seen, heard, read that too much is not good either.  One could say that if you take the honey you can always introduce it as needed.  If you leave it and they don’t need it predators and pest may be attracted to it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 11:23:19 am »
I'd rather leave too much than not enough. Ace, if you're worried about pests use mouse guards.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 12:50:11 pm »
JP I made a mouse guard for my hive.  Your winters can't be more than 8 weeks long in Louisiana.  So I am thinking that guessing how much to leave can't be as critical as up north.  Up here in my location it is common to winter over with two deeps.  Some even do it with one but they are taking a chance not knowing how long the winter will be.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 02:56:39 pm »
You can take frames of honey from a strong colony and give them to a weak ones, they won't mind a bit, least not so you'd notice. Another good reason for using all or mostly mediums.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 05:41:48 pm »
eating honey form other hives can do that.  feeding honey back from same hive is usually considered safer.

What about this?  Does it make any difference if the honey is in a frame?  Seems to me it would be worse.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 06:00:08 pm »
that's the only way I'd feed my bees honey, on a frame from another of my own colonies.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 11:46:23 am »
Too much honey is better than not enough, and just perfect is sure a hard number to hit  :roll:.  They use lots in the spring, and if there was too much, then they'll leave it there and you can extract it the next year.
Rick

Offline fat/beeman

• House Bee
    • Dixie Bee Supply.com
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 06:17:18 pm »
I try to leave lot on hives my self and use for splitting in spring.you can feed honey back =but don't dilute it it can and will ferment. as far as AFB if you feed your own back there's no problems.not sure if a human can or could get AFB because it it a spore found mostly in the brood.
Don

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 04:06:49 am »
How much depends entirely on your locale.  Ask around.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslocality.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 01:55:46 pm »
unfortunately, many (if not most) large commercial operations (where most of the honey available comes from) as well as many, many other operations treat routinely with terramicyn as a prophylactic treatement for AFB...this has at least two effects worth noting:

1.  AFB is not detected by the beekeeper (or if it is, another treatment is administered) yet is present throughout the apiary.  Anyone who says, "I tried not using TM, but got AFB...now I treat routinely" most likely has a "suppressed" AFB infection, and there are probably enough spores throughout the hive to cause a problem if the honey is fed to an untreated colony.

2.  In such a situation, TM is likely used whenever symptoms are seen by the beekeeper.  TM gets into the honey, and if the honey is fed to your hives, you are having some impact on the microflora that provides some defense against...AFB (whos spores are also present in the honey).

Aside from these issues, feeding honey is a not a problem.  If you buy honey from the dollar store to feed your bees, i'd expect problems.  If you buy honey from another beekeeper who does not have AFB, and does not treat with TM, there isn't much risk.  Knowing where the honey actually comes from and under what conditions it is produced is the hard part.

deknow

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 02:52:14 pm »
I thought if you got AFB you are forced to burn the hive.  Am I wrong?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 03:06:45 pm »
I thought if you got AFB you are forced to burn the hive.  Am I wrong?
Yes.

Who is going to force you to burn them?  It may be the law in some states,  or the recommended procedure,  but especially here in NY,  there is no one enforcing it.

There are other methods besides burning to rid the spores from your equipment.   There is also claims of shaking the bees onto new foundation as a means to overcome AFB for a colony.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 03:12:58 pm »
I thought if you got AFB you are forced to burn the hive.
you are required to (you live in NY)
i am allowed to "treat" as long as i keep the infection under control (in massachusetts).

in either case, the routine use of TM will "prevent" breakouts, but will not kill spores...it also negatively affects the microflora (bacillus in the honey stomach specifically) that seems to fight AFB infections.

deknow

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 04:41:17 pm »
Who is going to force you to burn them?  It may be the law in some states,  or the recommended procedure,  but especially here in NY,  there is no one enforcing it.

This is what I was told, have no idea how true it is.

In the state of New York the only accepted treatment for AFB is burning the hive in the presence of a state inspector.  How is it enforced?  If someone turns you in.  At the present time inspections are voluntary but encouraged.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 04:44:21 pm »

There is also claims of shaking the bees onto new foundation as a means to overcome AFB for a colony.

Huh  :?  The spores are going to stay with the old foundation?  :?
Seems to me that is a way to spread it not contain it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 04:52:31 pm »
Huh  :?  The spores are going to stay with the old foundation?  :?
Seems to me that is a way to spread it not contain it.

it seems that way because you don't have even a basic understanding of what you are talking about.  you can learn a lot with a google search.

deknow