Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "Billy the Exterminator"  (Read 14482 times)

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
"Billy the Exterminator"
« on: January 03, 2011, 04:38:06 pm »
Would someone please tell him to stop killing bees! I know some LA folks in here might know him. :-D I don't really watch the show (TV is on for background) but it seemed like this weekend (A&E must have been running a marathon or something) there were several episodes of them doing cutouts and blasting the bees with their spray... "We normally like to save bees... but... these folks are allergic!" Good Grief!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: "Billy the Exterminator"
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 05:26:38 pm »
need to hook him up  with JP and Schawee for some removals.  i have never seen billy kill bees, but i only watch him when i need a good laugh  :-D  he is a kick sometimes.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Dave360

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 05:57:19 pm »
yes billy needs to stop killing the bees and some one needs to tell him soap and water spray will kill bees almost instantly and easy cleanup

Dave

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 06:11:19 pm »
need to hook him up  with JP and Schawee for some removals.  i have never seen billy kill bees, but i only watch him when i need a good laugh  :-D  he is a kick sometimes.

Yep was gong to text our resident LA Video Stars (don't know their number though... could be a problem) to give his brother "Ricky" a swift kick in the "leather" pants for his honey bee extermination. Actually Kathy if they got rid of Billy's brother Ricky, JP and Schawee could co-star and show Billy how it's done... probably take over the show. Maybe we need to send some of their videos to the producer!!!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 06:13:42 pm »
isn't it the brother who is allergic?  just tell him that he's sure to be stung doing a cutout and he should sit it out  :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 09:46:38 pm »
Search the forums JP called him already we talked about this a bit ago the guy is an idiot. he does exterminations of bees in a skull mask and boa what do you expect?

Keith

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 10:29:42 pm »
He knows how to work the camera for the ratings.   He ain't making the big money killing bugs, its in with being a TV star.    Shock value is what brings people in.    Get them talking and more watch, ratings go up.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 11:19:25 pm »
No! Billy knows what he's doing because he knows about magnetism and how the animals travel!  That's why he kills the bees, because it is good for them! :roll:

He's an actor.  And like most actors (and actresses), he's an idiot.  But I don't tend to have too high an opinion of most in the entertainment industry.
Rick

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 12:35:12 am »
Keith is right, I e-mailed them last year, suggesting they get with a bee keeper who could help them do live removals. I tried, what can I say.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 01:05:05 am »
i think JP and Co. could give him a run for his money  :evil:

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 08:30:31 am »
Absolutely love the show!

And while I don't agree with everything Billy says, that can be said of any video, or other person. Difference here is, I can not go on this forum and review other people's videos and call them idiots. Seems we can only do that with people who are not members here.

So while this discrepancy exists, we can at least get an honest viewpoint of those videos off this site, while we really only get a one sided butt kiss for the videos posted here.

And while others have said they contacted Billy in one form or fashion over the years, I bet they never would of taken such steps if not for Billy's successful television show. And if I was Billy, I probably would turn down such requests also, knowing the approach, the criticism, the public comments, and the attitude of those making such advances. I don't know Billy's history of dealing with beekeepers in the past. Maybe there is more to the story.

Anyway, it sure is easy to attack others when envy, jealousy, a "we know better" attitude is taken, among other things. Just the mere amount of postings for this one person tells me there is more to the story. And it's not like he is the only person/exterminator to kill bees.

Question....on the episode where they had bees in the big pine tree on the golf course....come on, you know the episode...you all watch every show. If you were the owner of the golf course, how would of you liked the bees to be removed? Do you think once the problem was discovered that the owner opens himself up for liability if he takes 4-6 weeks while working with a beekeeper to trap out the bees? What would happen if there was a stinging incident from the colony after it first was discovered, and the owner did not take immediate action for the bees removal?

And I seriously question if you were Billy, and the golf course owner was paying you to get rid of the bees in the middle of his business, that you would suggested a procedure of several weeks to remove the bees, while having a hive perched up on a platform, in the middle of the 9th fairway. I bet that is how you run your business into the ground, because I don't think the golf course owner would be calling you back for another job. Oh wait....maybe that is why Billy has a successful business, and other are the ones sitting back being the critics.

I'd like to hear how you would remove the bees, when your insurance and license would be in jeopardy, if your client was asked to deal with the bees for weeks on end, while you worked with the local beekeeper, and somebody was injured. I wonder what would happen three weeks later when some old fart got stung on the golf course, and found out that the problem was reported three weeks earlier.

Lets see...owner has three options....

1) Trap out bees (and kill colony) and prolong liability and possible loss of business.
2) Cut down hundred year old tree so bees can be safely removed.
3) Spray the colony and seal the cavity.

And we attack Billy for taking option three, when the first two are just as devastating and destructive.

And don't even suggest that you would tape off one of the greens for several weeks, or allow your customers to know you got a monster bee hive in the middle of your operation and possibly lose business, due to sentimental feelings of a bee colony.

I also do keep in mind that it is a tv show. And while the mask and cloths are over the top, it does sell to the public. I doubt the skill, cloths, image, or antics of most critics would be even close enough to be considered an entertaining show. But it has you guys watching.... ;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:02:28 am by BjornBee »
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 10:06:43 am »
I could care less how he handles the bees, I don't have a problem with him killing a few hives, although I don't care for his spreading of ignorance. 

My opinion of him is based on how he acts and his involvement in the entertainment industry. :sheeple: :roll:   I know that probably most of it is an act, but getting paid to act like a doofus and tell the whole world that he's a doofus, even if he's not...doesn't change my opinion.

Whatever.... :deadhorse:
Rick

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 10:57:07 am »
"ignorance" is defined as a "a lack of knowledge" or "not being informed".

You can not spread the "lack of knowledge", or ignorance. Perhaps you are confused with the difference between ignorance and stupidity.  ;)

You can spread stupidity. Or educate people on the wrong way to do something. That is why I wish others would do more than attack another person for such items as killing bees. If he is doing it wrong, then I ask that someone please explain a better way. I outlined three possible choices for the owner of the golf course to take. Of course, I expect others to not respond, and continue on the same path of just attacking another person for such items as the cloths they wear. etc. And I bet half these people would be offended if I attacked their family or themselves for such items as a tattoos or the cloths they wear. I bet I would be seen as an evil dude with no compassion.

Myself, I could care less what he wears or if he has tattoos. I'm not that shallow. Whether it's the guy wearing short cutoff shirts and cool shade on the OCC bike show, or Billy the exterminator, I think when people attack others for being different, we may suggest ignorance...no make that stupidity, on some level.

I am however interested in how other people would approach the same situations that Billy has on his show, if they were Billy and the property owner was paying for a service.

Anybody want to comment about actual bee procedure, void of judging another person you don't know personally? I find the "he's an idiot" for the cloths he wears or antics on the show, a bit childish. And I'm doing my best to teach my children not to walk down the street and judge people in this manner.

It's easy to call someone a doofus, until asked to explain why, or state what you might do in the same circumstances. As for his personal views on magnetism or anything else, I bet many on this forum would be seen as a doofus if ever given the chance to be followed by a camera crew and get to spill their guts on such inner thoughts.

I have serious differences with my wife when it comes to reincarnation and ghosts, but I don't call her an idiot or doofus for such opinions. And while I have spoke to beekeepers about earth's energy fields, magnetic forces inside the hive when it comes to using metal lids and nails, and even had one person suggest pyramids for increased hive health, I would not suggest they are doofus's or idiots. They are on certainly a different path in life. But that path for many folks is an educational one and I hope they find whether it works or not.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 11:11:40 am »
I find his apparel quite chic...he really should accessorize with heels though for the complete "look" :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 11:48:56 am »
I find his apparel quite chic...he really should accessorize with heels though for the complete "look" :-D

Scott

Only if he wears open leather chaps.....  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 01:14:19 pm »
I still think they should have our dynamic video duo on the show...

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 01:15:55 pm »

Now that makes us all wonder about you......................  :-D

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 01:28:20 pm »

Now that makes us all wonder about you......................  :-D

And you just started now.....  :lau:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 01:29:10 pm »
 :-D

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 02:04:09 pm »
Aren't all chaps open?  If they aren't, then aren't they just pants?  Forgive my ignorance of chaps....but I'm not going to google it. :roll:

I'm not a doofus enough to let a camera follow me around because I know it would make me look like a doofus.  :-D

This makes me laugh.  As a wise man once said; "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.".  He's sure not silent in that clip.  I'll admit I'm basing half of my judgement on that clip.  But since that represents his show, I can't get too far past that.  If you'd rather call it stupidity, that's fine, he's spreading that too.

Walks like a duck, looks like a duck, quacks like a duck...well...it just might be a duck!  I teach my children not to be judgemental, but I do teach them to be discerning.  The way a person dresses will most likely tell you something about how they act, which in turn tells you something about who they are.  Not always, but I tend to stay away from big dogs that bark at me even though they may not bite me.  If you think that that makes me judgemental, well then I'll put on the powdered wig and robe for you   ;)

If you want me to comment on his bee procedures?  While I have no qualms about killing a bee hive if it is in the wrong place at the wrong time, I find some of his reasoning and some of his methods to be pretty stupid.  And in televising it he's spreading stupidity. (I find "ignorance" to be a somewhat more charitable word than "stupid", but if you insist.... :-D).  I'm not usually entertained by stupidity when it is under the guise of "real life" and "facts".

But that's ok.  You can like Billy.  I can not like Billy.   :camp:  I won't judge you for liking billy   8-)
Rick

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 03:02:44 pm »
Ah yes....the one much often dragged out video used over and over to crap on Billy. Too bad we don't have a video for some other people's more less than intelligent moments, where we could replay it over and over, and over.  :roll:

People in glass houses......  ;)

Here is a guy that nobody has one good thing to say anything about. People take his 1-2% of the things they don't like, and stretch it out to 100% and beyond. Glad I don't have judgemental friends like that. It would be hard to get over my 1-2%...or even my 5-10%  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 03:13:26 pm »
This makes me laugh. 

Was he sportin some of those new fangled "Sub-spenders" that buzzbee was promoting before Christmas?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 03:20:33 pm »
Has anyone seen the 2 times he was on Dirty Jobs before he got his own show?   He really did look less like a rock star and more like an exterminator.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 03:48:30 pm »
Has anyone seen the 2 times he was on Dirty Jobs before he got his own show?   He really did look less like a rock star and more like an exterminator.

I have not.

But I figured when the cameras were off, it was probably less than what we see.

Give me 50,000 per episode and I may consider those high heels and chaps......  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 04:01:33 pm »
well something positive for him is he tries to release most everything else he traps. Thats something I just think he is a bit of a character concerning his antics, and clothing choices ( skull mask and bourbon street boa for bee removal). Not trying to judge too harsh he may think the way I dress I am an idiot who knows

Keith

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 10:30:19 pm »
Ah yes....the one much often dragged out video used over and over to crap on Billy. Too bad we don't have a video for some other people's more less than intelligent moments, where we could replay it over and over, and over.  :roll:

People in glass houses......  ;)

Here is a guy that nobody has one good thing to say anything about. People take his 1-2% of the things they don't like, and stretch it out to 100% and beyond. Glad I don't have judgemental friends like that. It would be hard to get over my 1-2%...or even my 5-10%  ;)

That is a video that Billy made that is on Billy's channel advertising Billy's show.  If that isn't his intelligent moment then why does he still use it to advertise his show? (maybe that isn't his channel, but it is right there on spike's website, a quick google search brought it up).  That's not a glass house, that is a stage he's on, telling the world who he is. 

If I started up my own fishing show (which I know a little about) and trumpeted how I know more about fishing than anybody, I'd expect the fishing forums to trash me for how little I know (and rightfully).  Especially if I wore a feather boa and leather waders. :evil:

I don't know anything about your 10%, and would rather keep it that way  :evil:.  I try to live my life without a 10% or even 1% to be ashamed of. :)
Rick

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 10:40:53 pm »
Very little that I could be ashamed of...I guess I'm just slick enough not to get caught too often :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 11:02:48 pm »
Very little that I could be ashamed of...I guess I'm just slick enough not to get caught too often :-D

Scott

Oh...well I'm sure glad nobody's around with a video when you're wearing open chaps....... :-D
Rick

anything